DUI Check point.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: DUI Check point.

Oh yeah.. I'm so sorry... I just plain forgot... This is just another "blame the liberals" deal... :rolleyes: <br /><br />If the damn drunk was'nt driving drunk, then the "liberal judge" (who was probably a conservative, BTW) would'nt have anything to do.... Get it????????

Carphunter

Commander

I think many people here are missing Flahtheads point. Seems pretty simple to me. Put all the cops in one location, and see how many drunk drivers you catch................or have all the cops patrol different locations and see how many drunks you catch. My guess is, you will catch more drunk drivers if you patrol different locations.<br /><br />And FH is right, many of the local drunks will know where the roadblocks are, and just avoid those areas.<br /><br />...........and Bubba, let me tell ya, I don't think they pay you guys enough, (I just know what a buddy of mine makes that is in the force). If the pay was higher, they could probably attract more folks into that profession, which means more cops on the streets. Just my 2 cents worth, but probably worth a lot less. ;)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

False. All accidents that involve someone who has had a drink are immediately categorized as a alcohol related accident. Whether it played a part in the accident or not makes no difference. Makes the stats look great!!! The fact that a deer was in the road makes no difference to the stats.<br /><br />People's individual reaction to alcohol varies. One drink might impair one person where six has little or no affect on another. <br /><br />Enter the liberal aspects of the injustices. Well if a little lower legal level is good lets do a lot. Soon you can drive by a malting plant and be arrested by breathing fumes. A couple having two drinks on their anniversary can now be felons. You can die in a war, face the death penalty, enter into a contract but no beer for anyone 18 to 21. Once again the ends justify the means. And how about the federal government withholding highway funds if the states wouldn't meet the .08 maximum level. Illegal. but the ends justify the means. Stop someone on the highway for no reason, who never had drink in his life but he/she has to "prove" their compliance. This is BS. But the ends justify the means. <br /><br />Refuse to take a breathalizer you are automatically guilty... Guilty until proved innocent. But the ends justify the means. Are there any other crimes that have such a low threshold of guilt?<br /><br />Where is the ACLU? The trial lawyers? Why they are driving the bus. Doesn't meet their criteria of right and wrong while they defend NAMBLA.<br /><br />Laws are written for a reason and have specific and defined meanings. Don't like them change them, that is how the process works, (I don't really have a problem as long as the process is followed) but this tap dance around peoples rights is a disgrace that needs to be shown the light of day. By having specific and outlined criteria contained within the law allows for equal application of the law to everyone.<br /><br />I hate drunk drivers, I have lost friends to them. I have others who have been crippled because of them, but I wouldn't disrespect the freedoms that this country was founded upon to uphold their memories or pity their situations. I hold the "Driver of the vehicle" accountable not society as a whole, but that is the difference between a liberal and a conservative.<br /><br />To your point the average penalty for manslaughter is not nearly strong enough. Taking a life and the impact on friends, family and society cannot be adequately reimbursed.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry to have offended Bubba and SBN. <br /><br />To your comment of Iran......fantastic point. Considering all the repeat DUI convicts, I point to penalties that can be very lenient.<br /><br />IMO, the purpose of law that imposes penalties is to deter folks from violating. Make a DUI penalty have real teeth. Sure, some will not care, but, believe me most will. I did. Yep, I have a past DUI. No property damage, or otherwise. Just a cop doing his job by being observant.<br /><br />And I further give heavy weight to future penalties for a repeat. And I will further say that penalties, even first offense, should be stiffer.<br /><br />Consider the Wisconsin AG who was arrested this year, first offense DUI, top cop in the State. She skated by paying a fine, still has her job.<br /><br />Closing, stop the Gestapo checkpoint tactics, lobby for severe penalties, use your cell if ya see obvious erratic driving. Never know, may be a driver not DUI, but having other medical related issues affecting driving ability, such as diabetic reaction and so on. <br /><br />Peace Out

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

Dui check points i've seen are effective, we have three roads out of the county, and getting around them is thirty miles at least, but the du try and the chasers pickem off at the u turns. <br /> too many dui accidents attended in my career as a emt/ and ski patroller to nay any effort to stop them.

Link

Rear Admiral

LubeDude<br />Last night I said I'd make a post tonight.. on the pros and cons.. except tonight I did all others first and again its my bed time.<br />Dock side chat always comes last. But tomorrow I'll do it first. <br />Spinner will never talk to me again :) JKing Spinner! But we might be 180 degrees out and for the same reason.

one more cast

Captain

we have a new state police in a near by town and he sits in the store parking lot right next to the bar....There hasn't been a DUI arrest from that bar in awhile :D now the local bar owners want to have a town meeting to see if they can get rid of him.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

that same thing happened in the town I'm from. The bar is the only real business in town, and the cops were just sitting outside the bar waiting for people to drive off so they could give out tickets. Well, the mayor ended up telling the cops to stay the hell away from the bar unless they were called there because they were scaring off business, and thats the way it still is to this day.

BinLurkin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Out here in Californee they announce on the radio where they will be set up starting on Friday afternoon & continue all weekend. It's also published in the newspapers. Doesn't make sense to me. <br /><br />Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I disagree with roadblocks as well. I think that if the police were out combing the roads more spread out, then the bars could not warn people.<br /><br />I also feel that the laws should be enforced. I think that the federal level should audit the states, to see how many repeat offenders they have. They would then use that number to determine funding. Not how many road blocks they have done in the past year. I don't know how many times we read in the papers, or hear on tv that so-and-so killed someone while driving drunk. Yet they have x number of priors. What were they doing out in public? Why let them run around with a loaded weapon?<br /><br />The laws only affect the law abiding right now. They need to give the laws some teeth, not just a bark.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I post this not because I'm looking for anything from anyone, but maybe just to reinforce the reasons for the drunk driving laws and check points. This one hits real close to home for me.<br />Last Wednesday night, a long-time friend and former co-worker went out to a bar after work. Thursday was the beginning of his weekend, so he closed the bar at 2 a.m. On his way home, he either passed out or fell asleep at the wheel and side-swiped an oncoming semi. The resulting crash required him to be life-flighted to one of the best Trauma 1 hospitals in the nation. They kept him alive, and he might fully recover, except that he lost his left arm above the elbow. The semi driver escaped unhurt.<br />This guy knew better. He'd been charged 3 times before with DWI, doing his 3-day mandatory jail term, losing his license for 6 months, then a year, and had been either good or lucky up to that night.<br />Now we all know that the guy pulled a dumb move. Why didn't he call a friend, or a cab?? Who knows. My point is, had he come upon a DUI checkpoint, he might be a lot better off than he is now. In jail, probably, but with all his limbs intact.<br />It's a hard lesson for him to learn, and we all saw something like this coming for some time. He wouldn't listen to anyone's advice, so I guess you could say he asked for it. The lucky thing is that he didn't hurt or kill anyone else.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Just my 2 cents worth, I think if there putting up a DUI c/p do it on a major highway, and do it for 24 hours. Years back, I lived in Arkansas,and the State troopers put up a road block on I-40. Got several for littering(throwing there beer out of the car) people with warrants, even 1 person that was on the FBI 10 most wanted list. I thought it was ok, ACLU didn't.<br /><br /> I'm out on the roads all day and what scares the hell out of me is the AGRESSIVE drivers more than the drunks. I liked to got a bike yesterday. I was doing 65, he was weaving in and out of traffic doing at least 90. If I hadn't caught a glimpse of something as I was changing lanes he would have met the back of my van.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Thanks for posting that wayne. A picture says a thousand words and I hope a lot of people see that post.

BR549

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank's Wayne - anyone still want to argue about being "inconvenienced" by a DUI checkpoint?

Carphunter

Commander

.......Again, I don't believe anybody has a problem with being "inconveninnced" at a DUI checkpoint, its just how much more effective is the checkpoint, compared with having those same police patrol different areas looking for drunks.<br /><br />Personally, I believe if someone gets caught drinking and driving, their license should be revoked......FOREVER! How many people would take that chance then?<br />The stupid laws that slap these drunks on the wrist are the real problem! :mad:

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

BrainFD, the guy had been busted three times before? Looks like he got what he was looking for. It's a damn good thing he didn't take anyone else with him. Perfect example of the police doing their job three times before, and the court not doing theirs. He had no business driving at all. If he was able to control himself and be responsible, then yes he should be allowed to drive. However, I think three times shows the court that he can't.<br /><br />Wayne, there is still no guarentee that the roadblock would have prevented that. There are to many varibles in the equation for that solution to be true 100% of the time. It is sad, don't get me wrong. However, that could have just as easily happened as she was pulling away from the road block and he was aproaching it.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You're preachin' to the choir, samagee. I fully agree!