DUI Check point.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Last night after a very enjoyable ride on the bike and a nice visit with friends the wife and I hopped on the bike and headed for home. We didn't get far and got behind a guy that was obviously loaded. He was all over the road. No cops anywhere to see this. Finally the guy turned off and we continued on home. About two miles from the house low and behold there is a DUI checkpoint. I hate these things, to me it is an infringement on my freedom, like being in a communist state, ( pulled over and asked let me see your papers :mad: )<br /><br />The cops at the check point were from three different departments, one being the township where MR drunk driver was preforming his swerve and weave routine. No less than four cops from that department standing around harassing folks for simply driving home. So in a nutshell the cops are busy pulling over sober people that are just minding their own business, while the drunks are causing havoc out on the back roads. <br /><br />HELLO!!! Whats wrong with this picture?? Word gets back to every bar in the county within minutes of a DUI check point. All the drunks know where they are and avoid them, and the cops know it!!!<br /><br />HELLO WHATS WRONG HERE!!!<br /><br />I hate DUI checkpoints ,, just hate them!!! :( <br /><br />Let me add, I dont think DUI check points do any good at whatsoever.

aspeck

Staff member
Re: DUI Check point.

FH, tell us what you really think. Don't hold back. Are you telling us that you don't like DUI checkpoints?<br /><br />Personally, I don't mind them (except when I am in a hurry, which is usually). I have seen what you just described on several occasions and that does tend to burn me up!<br /><br />Hey FH, have a nice day, and don't let it bug you to the point of ruining a beautiful rainy day!

FLATHEAD

Captain

Yeah it is a rainy one today :D Looks I might spend some time here today.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Sorry, FH, but I'll have to firmly dissagree on this one.<br />A DUI checkpoint saved and changed my life. Without going into much humiliating detail, some dumases like me don't pay much attenetion to what barkeeps say. Besides, there wasn't one on the bridge I was fishing (and drinking) from December 30th,1984.<br />But long story short, I have never DUI since.<br />I know how you feel about the "gestapo approach" to law enforcement, and I totally agree with that. But if a checkpoint gets just one azzclone like me to change thier behaviour before taking lives, than they are all worth the infringement.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Don't much like DUI checkpoints either, but in this day and age there an absolute necessity, especially on holidays.... Too many dumbazz people out there running around who need that reality check.... If the stop gets just one drunk, thats one less drunk likely to kill someone...<br /><br />Plus the added benefits of nailing people who drive without a liscence (a bunch around here).....

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I personally have no problem with DUI checkpoints. Yeah, it can be a hassle, and it can feel like an infringment, but I work my way through that with the knowledge that they do work very well. They also sometimes catch other criminal activity as well. There is always some knothead getting caught with a bunch of drugs or whatever at the checkpoints here, as well as busted on outstanding warrants. As far as I am concerned, if it takes just one family killing drunk off the road, I am all for whatever it takes to serve that end.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I will have to go along with the majority here.<br />I can not stand a driver that will drink and then get behind the wheel of any machine that has the potential of hurting/killing someone.<br /><br />They say, "ahhhh, I can handle it", yea right.<br /><br />It just makes me madder than all get out to see this and then not a cop to be found no where.<br /><br />I will shut up now before I get started on this subject.<br /><br />DUI checkpoints, yea they are a good thing, IMO.

NathanY

Commander

Amendment IV<br />The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and <br />effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and <br />no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or <br />affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the <br />persons or things to be seized.
These check points are illegal BUT<br />Just another reality of the police state we live in.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Nathan in Arkansas:<br /> These check points are illegal BUT<br />Just another reality of the police state we live in.
Must be those wascally Wepublicans and that facist pig, John Ashcroft! :p

FLATHEAD

Captain

Cant agree, I think its a no brainier that instead of a dozen cops sitting at one spot for hours on end, fishing for a guy that may have had a drink or two while out to dinner with his wife they could be spread out in all different areas looking for the true drunk driver. <br /><br />I see them all the time. Driving the back roads.<br /><br /> I have been in the bar when the phone rings and two second later the bartender makes an announcement to the whole place that there is a checkpoint at such and such a place. Happens all the time. The checkpoint can work to the drunk drivers advantage, he knows where all the cops are so he just goes a different way. <br /><br />Its just big brother at his best. I find being pulled over for no reason intolerable, I despise it. Whats next random checks of our homes to make sure we are not breaking any law.

jofish

Seaman Apprentice

I encountered a "smart one" driving down Marylands Eastern shore on rt 13(lot of drug traffic on this road) passed a big portable sign that said DRUG CHECK POINT ONE MILE, I thought to myself great got a seabag and suitcase in the back they'll hold me up for a hour.Well a mile went by ,no checkpoint then I remembered I had passed a off ramp about 1/2 mile past the sign, you think there was any State police waiting at the bottom of that ramp looking for out of town plates? The amendment quoted above was written when the most dangerous thing on the road was a horse & buggy moving at 5/10 mph not a 3000 pound junk of steel moving at 60mph,I agree they could be run more effectivley but if it stops one person from being killed or injured needlessly how inconveniant is it? If you lost a loved one to a drunk driver would you feel the same way? The great thing about this country is you have the FREEDOM to say what you want do what you want as long as it doesn't infringe on others, you also have the FREEDOM to LEAVE if you don't like it. :mad:

FLATHEAD

Captain

Originally posted by jofish:<br /> The great thing about this country is you have the FREEDOM to say what you want do what you want as long as it doesn't infringe on others, you also have the FREEDOM to LEAVE if you don't like it. :mad:
Getting pulled over for no reason at all except for the fact it is friday or saturday night does not sound much like freedom to me. Jofish You talk about infringing on others?? Is that not what the police are doing at these stops?

jofish

Seaman Apprentice

Flathead,Yes I call it freedom , you have the freedom to drive which is a privlige, not a right.You have the freedom to go out when you want and to where you want.You have the freedom to work in your chosen proffession.This is not the case in many parts of the world.It may seem like a infringment to you but ask the kid whose Mom or Dad ain't coming home because somebody abused a privelige and got behind the wheel wasted how infringed upon he feels?? I suggest "inconvienece" is a better word, whats the big deal license, reg and if your sober your on your way.The police are doing there job, maybe not in the most efficient way but there trying, give em a brake ,smile, say"thank you officer" and go home a have a few cold ones.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

......NAZI....CHECKPOINT.........<br /><br />NAZI CHECKPOINT.......Before you launch your boat WE WILL search you......Before you are allowed to enter this restaurant WE WILL search you........Before you are allowed to operate your motor vehicle YOU WILL BLOW INTO THIS DEVICE TO ENSURE YOUR OPERATIONAL INTEGRITY......at an additional cost of $3000 per unit.<br /><br />Nuff said NAZI lovers.....

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Flathead I'll support your right to be free from unresonable searches. I don't think they are worth a flip. Everytime they have one in my area I always have to go work a wreck on another closeby road because the guy was drunk. Where were we? Sitting on the side of the road NOT doing our jobs stopping every car that came along. DUI checkpoints disgrace citizens and law enforcemnet alike. It says "Citizens cannot be trusted, and cops can't do there jobs"

SpinnerBait_Nut

Pat, I resent your NAZI comment.<br />If the law enforcement people can do anything to save one person's life, it is well worth the costs.<br />What dollar value do you put on your life, or your wife's life or even your kid's life.<br /><br />For me there is none.<br /><br />It is just like anything else that involves law enforcement, if your doing nothing wrong, then hey go for it, but if you have something to hide, then yea I guess you would be against it.

FLATHEAD

Captain

I dont drink and drive, I have nothing to hide!! I still think the DUI checkpoint is a joke. I think Kenneth Brown summed it up pretty well. <br /><br />The DUI check point is a feel good thing for the general public. <br /><br />How about the guy whos wife/kid/dad is wiped out by a drunk driver on the back road while 80% of the available police are sitting at chosen intersection. Happens all the time, like it or not. If they had been on patrol maybe they could have " Saved one persons life"

SpinnerBait_Nut

Hey FH, it's not worth getting all steamed up over.<br />We each have our thoughts on the subject and I just don't have a problem with them, that's all.<br /><br />They still catch a bad guy when they have them though, and I'm done with this one.