Droopy pants...finally beaten!!

spratt

Lieutenant
Pages | 1 | <br />DUNLAP, Ind.<br /><br />An outraged father of a seventh-grader says an assistant principal duct-taped his son's pants to keep them from sagging then sent him back to class.<br /><br />Scott Allison told the Concord School Board on Monday that his 12-year-old son, Spencer, said last week that a teacher asked him to lift his shirt after she noticed the boy's underwear was showing above his pants, a violation of Concord Junior High School's dress code.<br /><br />She sent him to Assistant Principal Patricia Walters, who told Spencer to pull up his pants and tuck in his shirt, Allison said. <br /><br /><br />"She then proceeded to duct tape his waist, three times around the waist," said Allison. "Then she sent him back to class, in front of his peers."<br /><br />He said he worried his son would be mocked by his classmates at the school in the town about 20 miles east of South Bend.<br /><br />"This outrages me and shocks me," Allison said.<br /><br />Allison also said that Spencer's underwear would not have been exposed if the shirt was left down.<br /><br />"I don't understand what motivated her to ask him to lift up his shirt," he said.<br /><br />Board President Randall Myers said the board would not discuss personnel issues in public. Junior high Principal Kevin Caird said student discipline is confidential.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Droopy pants...finally beaten!!

Poor Spencer, someone get the dad a hanky.

spratt

Lieutenant

Well, the way I see it, a lot of people complain about the dress of our teens / youth...but SOMEONE lets them outta the house like that!!!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

'zacly, Spratt. The P.T.O. is made up of teachers and parents.<br />If parents let them out of the house like that, it's nice to know we have a few teachers who will take-up the slack (so to speak).

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll gladly buy the principal at my son's school a roll of duct tape if he'll promise me that should my son slip by me like that he'll tape 'em up. Of course no one would like my dress code, and I don't enforce it rigidly with my kids. If I were king all shirts would have collars, and at least two buttons, and would be tucked in at all times. They would be tucked into pants or a skirt, the pants or skirt would be held up by a belt and would sit on top of the childs hips. I'd be glad to supply duct tape cumberbunds for any student who couldn't figure out how to dress for school. School is their job, and they need to learn to dress like they're going to one. They can play in those clothes, I do it all the time. If they need looser or different clothes for PE, most schools want them to change for PE anyway.

spratt

Lieutenant

Hayhauler, are you sure you weren't raised in teh same Foster Home I was?? Sounds like some of the same values were planted in you as I got...I believe gone are the values we held/hold dear...I worked as IT Mgr in a public school district here locally for two years...got cussed at more than once by JUNIOR HIGH kids!!! The grammar school lkids were great generally tho...so somehwere the peer pressure got to 'em...and the parent pressure got away...

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, the problem is that the parents would have probably cussed you too. My wife teaches, and the parents see nothing wrong with kids piercing themselves, showing themselves and many, many other things. I require my boys to meet their schools dress-code, not mine, I bow to peer pressure too. But I like my dress code better, I really do.

spratt

Lieutenant

My boys both attended private school all 12 years, and had uniforms to wear. It cost a few bucks but I liked it. All the kids were on the same playing field with clothes, noone had something that cost more or less, but that is not really the issue. They all had to obey the dress code, or they just didn't attend the school. And blieve it or not, the school dress code was stricter than the parents code...at least SOME of teh parents code...when my boys got older and went to work and thought they could just go buy their own clothes, they will tell you that there was more than one time they had to return the clothes to the store and get something that would satisfy dad!!! And that was just in the day when "Relaxed" jeans came in!!! God knows what I would do if they tried to bring in pants that would've (wolve) fit me and tried to wear them!!!

woodrat

Ensign

I went to a private school for three years, and the middle and upper school had a dress code, the lower school had uniforms. I think the uniform thing was a great idea, it kept some kids from having to get teased and harrassed over "poorer" or "different" clothes. Should have carried the uniforms over to high school too.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

These so called "parents" are pathetic. I am sure Spencer will grow up to be a nice burden on society.<br /><br />Ken

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Spot on, Woodrat. I see the way kids are 'dressed' for school and just shake my head in dismay.<br /><br />Chris.....

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by achris:<br /> Spot on, Woodrat. I see the way kids are 'dressed' for school and just shake my head in dismay.<br /><br />Chris.....
Dontcha just love going down to the local mall and watching the Zoo? Shoot, out at the Seattle Zoo, at least the animals there are dressed in their NATURAL selves:) It seems to be WAAAAAY more entertaining to watch them in the mall...what costumes:)

Dunaruna

Admiral

We (baby boomers) tend to forget so easily, we rebelled and bucked the system - we were just smarter about it. If I'd tried to leave the house with my undies showing my dad would've wooped me into the next century, now you can't think about a clip over the ear without civil libs knocking on your door. Piercings - "Dad, I'm getting my ear ...." woop!<br /><br />Spencer needs a good old fashioned wooping, and then his dad.<br /><br />My 2cents<br />Aldo

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Don't get me started~~~ :mad:

spratt

Lieutenant

Go 'head boomy...start, and let us hear your thoughts on this sub-ject.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

THIS WORLD HAS TOO MANY DO-GOODERS!

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by spratt:<br /> Go 'head boomy...start, and let us hear your thoughts on this sub-ject.
I'll second that.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great answer to the problem...I don't know how these kids manage to keep their pants up when they're hanging around their knees...looks rediculous... good old duct tape :D ;)

mattttt25

Commander

so let's see. a 12 yr old boy wears baggy pants that are in style and "he will grow up to be a burden on society" and deserves "a good old fashion whooping."<br /><br />am i missing something?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Geesh, I remember that those baggy pants were a sign of a poor family with hand me downs.<br /><br />I love to watch those cop shows where the kids are running and trying to pull their pants up at the same time.<br /><br />As for the story of the duct tape, I don't blame the principle. However I feel that when kids that don't follow the dress code that they should be sent home.<br /><br />This is one of the main problems with the schools. Instead of the parents following and standing behind the school, they stick up for their kid. Sometimes I can see sticking up for the kid, but most of the time kids lie so much to their parents they get their way. If I got into trouble at school and got whacked, I got whacked at home too! Kids have no fear of adults anymore which means no repect for adults or the law.