Droopy pants...finally beaten!!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Droopy pants...finally beaten!!

Exactly SS.<br />The kids nowadays have no respect for the older people.<br />They all know more than anyone else.<br />That's whats wrong with the world today.<br /><br />Heaven helps us when they start leading the country.<br /><br />You think it's in bad shape now, just wait.<br /><br />And like you, if I got in "trouble" at school, I was in bigger "trouble" with my dad.<br /><br />The ol saying holds true in today's world, "Spare the rod, spoil the child"<br /><br />At least when my 3 girls were growing up, they knew what yes sir and no sir were.<br /><br />None of this back talk you here from today's teenagers.<br /><br />Oh, don't get me started.<br /><br />If a school has a dress code, enforce it and if it means using good ol duct tape, then so be it.

one more cast

Captain

I think the way some of the kids dress these days looks kind of stupid but that is just my opinion. A lot of us "judgers" grew up in the '70's so go look at your old year books and see how dorky you dressed. What really bothers me is how many of the young school kids are smoking, drinking and using drugs. EDIT: What I see around my neck of the woods is most family's have to have both parents working because all the good paying plants are shutting down and the ones left will only hire part time so they don't have to pay insurance or the higher full time wage. Most only make around $7 an hour so lots of teens are left home alone for at least a few hours a day and some for long periods of time.Its no wonder these kids get in trouble.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea OMC, when I was growing up, it was bad.<br />A shirt that was tucked in all the time.<br /><br />Yea that was bad for sure.<br /><br />Times change and I understand that, but still, if there is no discipline of some kind, then in the long run, the child is going to get hurt because they are raised to have no respect for anyone.<br /><br />EDIT: When you have 14 and 15 year olds cussing and calling people names, then they have no discipline in their life. They are either just let go or the parents don't care.

LadyFish

Admiral

Hey, growing up with two plumbers in the family I understand the distaste for seeing more than you need to or want to. :D <br /><br />I attended a private school and we used to roll our skirts up shorter when the Nuns weren't looking. We found more ways to make the uniform more our style than you could shake a stick at. Just another form of bucking the establishment as my Dad used to say.<br /><br />The droopy pants fad is just that and one day these kids will look back and say "what was I thinking".<br /><br />As far as droopy pants being allowed in schools, I think not.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ah, the good ol' days...<br />I, too, went to parochial school, and LF, if you don't mind, I can just picture you in one of those plaid jumpers...<br />Nuns would walk around with rulers to make sure the hems weren't more than 2" above the knees. Of course when they weren't looking, the girls all rolled the waists up so they were wearing mini-skirts!<br />Ah, the good ol' days...

one more cast

Captain

SBN, I agree that kids have no respect for their elders these days. WHY? Maybe because of some of the laws we have now that were made to protect children that were badly beaten. There is a big difference between beating and spanking but not according to law. Maybe its the things they watch on TV. Maybe its booze and drugs.Maybe because parents care more about making money then raising their kids.I don't know the answer to that question. If the old ways of raising kids was better then why are the kids getting worse? I wish I had the answers.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by mattttt25:<br /> so let's see. a 12 yr old boy wears baggy pants that are in style and "he will grow up to be a burden on society" and deserves "a good old fashion whooping."<br /><br />am i missing something?
Yes, you are. What the kids was wearing is not the point, it is the father's reaction. They both knew the dress code was violated with those pants. Duck tape solved the problem. Idiot dad blamed the school for coming up with a solution, instead of telling the kid "Its your fault for wearing those clothes".<br /><br />Sounds like daddy wants some kind of money via lawsuit.<br /><br />Ken

ndemge

Commander

I went to catholic school for 12 years.<br /><br />grade school was ran buy that mean ole nun...<br />you forget your belt?.. no problem, she's got a few nice ugly ones for ya. pretty colors too

SpinnerBait_Nut

You answered your own question there OMC, "laws".<br />Yes there is a difference in beating a child and discipline, but with the laws the way they are now, it ties the schools hands up to where they can't discipline the children.<br /><br />What they get now, detention.<br />Yea that will make a difference.<br /><br />All that does is create more hardship on the parents to have to go to school and pick them up.<br /><br />My youngest daughter got detention "one time".<br /><br />After that, she did not like detention. ;) <br /><br />Maybe I was just lucky with my 3 girls, I don't know, but it is sure sad with todays youth.

mattttt25

Commander

no, i really don't think i'm missing anything. if the student was simply sent home, no issue, no story. but the principal decided to make a point out of the kid. you don't do that to a 12 yr old. should the father sue? no, but that is not the issue at hand.<br /><br />there are way too many other things to worry about in schools these days than some baggy pants. is the kid a good student, is he into sports and other activities, is he staying away from drugs? you don't judge a kid by the way he dresses.<br /><br />bottom line is the kid should have been sent home, and not made an example of by duct taping his waist. he is 12 yrs old and does deserve protection.

spratt

Lieutenant

Someone mentioned that most of us here grew up in the '70's...true, I graduated High School in 1973. So I spanned the 60's also. And part of the 50's. Yes, we wore Bell Bottom pants as teens. I remember the first guy Iknew who wore longer hair than anyone else. He also was teh first to wear teh bell bottom pants. BUT...never did we think it was alright to allow everyone, no BEG everyone, to view our undershorts, nor the girls allow their belly and ribs and ??? to hang out for all the world to see. Now, not only is it ok, peer pressure states that if you don't, you are not "phat" or whatever word it is that signifies "cool"...no, it is way more deep rooted than just a "fad"...everything that is done in dress is sexual in nature. How many of these young men have you seen who not only have their pants down to their knees with their boxers shining, who also walk around with their shirt rolled up in their arms just so you can see what they are wearing under their pants? We say "Society" has caused the problem...just who is "Society"?? It is the parents of the children. And just who has given away the right to "discipline" the children? Same answer. Alright, too many won't like this, but when women started flooding the workplace market, leaving noone at home to care for the children, it was easy to give those priviledges to the government, to take care of them, to educate them, to take OUR children and make of them what the government wants them to be. Well, enuff for now.

LadyFish

Admiral

Well I wore hipster bell bottoms and halter tops and let my belly show growing up and I turned out okay. My Dad didn't like it much and wouldn't let me go out of the house that way. I changed at a girlfriends house. Kids will do what they're gonna do.<br /><br />Trust me, I share your sentiment about women working and not taking care of their children, but some of us, probably most of us didn't have a choice.<br /><br />I think a woman's most important job is her children and raising them to be responsible, respectable adults. If I had to do it all over again, I would have stayed at home as it should be. However, I had to be sure she had food on the table too. I still managed to raise a wonderful child inside and out. Today, my daughter is a beautiful young woman raising her own children and she too works. Just like my daughter, her children are respectful and responsible. Its all on how you raise them, whether you work or you don't. Granted more time spent with our children is always the best solution, but I truly believe if they are brought up in a household of good morals, integrity, ethics and compassion for their fellow man, they at least have a fighting chance. Those are the things that have to be instilled from birth.<br /><br />And frankly, if a kid is respectful and shows good manners, I don't care what they wear.

spratt

Lieutenant

I can only duplicate your sentiments, Ladyfish!!<br /><br />I believe many many, way too many, women have had to go to work from necessity. But also, some of that "necessity" is due to greed. Maybe not actually greed, but the desire to have more than what life provides via a single income. I am not blowing my own trumpet here, but my wife has not worked outside the home in 25 years...I have been married 25 years. She did volunteer her time as a Teacher at our local Christian School while my boys were in school, but she was home when they were, which is what she wanted. Oh yes, it would have been nice to have the second income...we could have had a bigger house, more expensive cars, more toys in teh garage, done more entertaining, eat out and travel a lot more....but I am not one bit sorry for how our lives were/are. <br /><br />Unfortunately, too many deadbeats leave their wives and kids for girlfriends, or whatever reason, and then the single mother HAS to support the family, or leave it to the government to support her and them.<br /><br />I have met some kids who wear clothes like that and ARE respectful also. But there are many who look at you and challenge you to say something about their purple hair and pins stuck in every visible / non-visible part of their body...<br /><br />It will be interesting, if I live another 20 years, to see what the NEXT generation of kids can come up with. The level of excitement / boredom is outrageous already.<br /><br />Locally, on Bainbridge Island, teh schools, teachers, kids, parents are meeting and talking because the kids don't really have anything to do after midnight...and they NEED some place to gather and do things WITHOUT any adult supervision. Yeah, they NEED it...but at the same time, they are failing the WASL tests at school...wonder if it has anything to do with being out all night and then trying to cope and stay awake at school?<br /><br />Oh yes, it IS all tied together. And ultimately, it is the parents who should be bearing the brunt of the responsibility for it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by mattttt25:<br /> no, i really don't think i'm missing anything. if the student was simply sent home, no issue, no story. but the principal decided to make a point out of the kid. you don't do that to a 12 yr old. should the father sue? no, but that is not the issue at hand.<br /><br />there are way too many other things to worry about in schools these days than some baggy pants. is the kid a good student, is he into sports and other activities, is he staying away from drugs? you don't judge a kid by the way he dresses.<br /><br />bottom line is the kid should have been sent home, and not made an example of by duct taping his waist. he is 12 yrs old and does deserve protection.
I guess you have never heard of teaching a kid, by embarrising him. Very effective.<br /><br />The father is wrong, he should have told the kid, wear the correct clothes and you wont have to wear a duck tape belt.<br /><br />Instead, he called the media. Who else would have called the media? What kind of message is the father teaching his son? If the father was upset, he should have handled it with the school, not called the local newspaper.<br /><br />And, no baggy pants are not as innocent as they appear. They are used to hide weapons and for an easy place to hide things when stealing.<br /><br />Last thing, I dont care for the latest fashion trends, but I wont prevent my kids for wearing some of those clothes. I will prevent my son from sticking his underwear out, and I wont let my daughter show her belly. The reason being is that I dont want my son to be thought a gangster, nor do I want my daughter to be thought a **** even though they are neither.<br /><br />Ken

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

I told my dad I was going to let my hair grow out long cause all the kids that were doing it said it was cool....He said, "you'll look like a girl". That's all he had to say, I got the message.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My brother came home with an earing, and within 10 seconds through the door, my dad ripped it out and threw it in the yard. No further discussion needed.<br /><br />Just last week, my 15 yr old niece had to go to the principals office cause her skirt was questionable. As far as I can tell, my niece is the nicest, most naive girl that ever was and has never done anything wrong. Perfect straight A student. She was devastated and in tears the whole day.<br /><br />However, if she hadn't worn that skirt, she wouldn't have been in trouble. She isn't stupid, she knew it was on the borderline. It was 100% her fault. Case closed.<br /><br />Ken

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I stated my preference for the dress codes. I know that I won't get my way, and that's probably OK. Whatever the rules are, I'm guessing that some will feel they are too strict, and others will feel they aren't strict enough. But whatever they are, I think they should be enforced. Maybe the duct tape thing went a little too far, the alternative is to call the kids parents and ask them to bring him a belt to hold his pants up. The alternative is not just to let him dress however he chooses.<br /><br />As I said, the duct tape wouldn't bother me where my kids are concerned, but my kids would probably enjoy the attention more than be concerned about their peers laughing at them.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by knobby:<br /> I told my dad I was going to let my hair grow out long cause all the kids that were doing it said it was cool....He said, "you'll look like a girl". That's all he had to say, I got the message.
Knobby, I never had a Dad as a boy. However, I had two mothers:) My mother gave me away when I was 6, and I had the most wonderful Foster Mother life could provide. She raised me till I was grown and called me her own. She only ever had one child of her natural own. Her husband died after I was in the home 3 years, due to a stroke and terrible Rheumatoid Arthritis which left him progressively crippled.<br /><br />Anyway, I was taught some of the best morals anyone could enjoy. But...rebellion is a natural part of life, and so when I turned 18, I told her that I was old enough to make my own decisions, and that I was now going to grow my hair long, like the other guys I knew. Her reply? You will not sit at MY dinner table with long hair. 'Nuff said.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> My brother came home with an earing, and within 10 seconds through the door, my dad ripped it out and threw it in the yard. No further discussion needed.<br />Ken
There wa a day when FEMALES wore ear rings (ear bobs, we called it in Georgia)...now even guys have that so called "jewelry" in their TONGUES!!!!! And you cannot even understand teh waiter or waitress who is taking your order at a restaurant...how despicable!!!!!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I don't know, I was a punk rocker when I was a teen. I had the boots, mohawk (or whatever else I dreamed up for that particular week), the leather jackets, trenchcoats, pierced ears (there wasn't quite all the peircing then as there is now). I turned out alright. I had to shave my mohawk off before heading to basic training. I think focusing on what the kids are wearing is a very dangerous way to parent. There is no corellation between what a kid wears and how they behave. My nephew had every living part of his body peirced, looked like arse most of the time, but did very well in school, was not a trouble maker, and did not do drugs. His friends were good kids, and they looked worse. My better half works in the library system and deals with hundreds of kids, most of which wear baggy pants or those darn low rise things that drive me nuts. The vast majority of those kids are good kids. Good parenting has little to do with dressing your child. It is about instilling good values, making sure they understand consequence of action, and teaching them empathy towards others. If a school has a dress code, you should be teaching your child to understand why there is a dress code and how to abide by it while maintaining the sense of individuality they are seeking. It is easy to be a storm trooper parent and say no all the time. It is hard to actually let the child know why what they are doing is less than desirable and what impact their actions has on the immediate social environment around them. I too feel that it would be easier to have uniforms, but the children are still going to seek out their individuality in other ways. I think too many people forgot what it was like to be that age. i have not forgotten. It was hard, and confusing. It is up to the parents to teach the children right. Its like my buddy Dr Phil says: You are not raising children, you are raising adults...