Driving and Cell Phones

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
I can understand that cell phones will distract a driver. In some states they are trying to make them illegal to use while driving. Yes, this is a good idea. However some of these states are also wanting to make it illegal to smoke in the vehicles as well.<br /><br />Now I just don't know why this has come about. If they make smoking while operating a vehicle illegal, then chewing gum, eating, drinking, putting on makeup, reading, operating the stereo, and anything else that makes the driver have a distraction should be illegal. <br /><br />Maybe all new cars need a recording that says breath in, breath out so people do get to involved with their driving and forget how to breath! Geesh, and some politicians wonder why we think they shouldn't have the job.<br /><br />Some people can do multiple things and keep focused on their operation. Some people can't chew gum and walk at the same time. I hate it when those people cause actions that effect all of us. :(

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Driving and Cell Phones

I was on the freeway yesterday and all of a sudden everyone had to slam on their brakes.<br /><br />I pass the slow moving car and you guessed it, a woman talking on a cell phone going 50 mph in the left lane.<br /><br />I agree with you SS, banning them is stupid.<br /><br />I just wish these idiots that cant multitask would not try to do so.<br /><br />Ken

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

I think it is an addiction.I have seen co-workers pulling in at work ten seconds from being parked with the phone in front of their face dialing a number.It is a lot worse now with "text messaging."Better known as typing while driving.<br /><br />I could go on but I am past my bedtime.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

It's illegal to use a cell phone without a hands free kit here in the UK.

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wouldn't have a problem with that. I usually only take a call in the car and use a hands free earphone. I have seen people eating cereal from a bowl with a spoon, reading books, and writing onto what looked like a check book on the steering wheel. I don't smoke, but I don't see how smoking would be more dangerous than these other activities. :confused:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I heard on the radio that there is talk of banning smoking in cars in NY and NJ. Ok to smoke while parked, but not while driving.<br /><br />I noticed that as they keep moving the no smoking signs farther and farther from the building, the walkways are cleaner. Now you can only smoke in the parking lot or approved smoking areas outside. Soon it will be a smoke fee campus. OK with me.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

SS Mayfloat
Some people can do multiple things and keep focused on their operation. Some people can't chew gum and walk at the same time. I hate it when those people cause actions that effect all of us.
Trouble is with the gum chewers who have high opinions of themselves and think they belong in the multi task group.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Cranky18:<br />
I wouldn't have a problem with that. I usually only take a call in the car and use a hands free earphone. I have seen people eating cereal from a bowl with a spoon, reading books, and writing onto what looked like a check book on the steering wheel. I don't smoke, but I don't see how smoking would be more dangerous than these other activities. :confused:
Initial studies show that drivers using hands-free sets are no less likely to avoid an accident than someone talking on an actual cell phone. Also, People driving and talking on a cell phone are 4 times as likely to be in an accident. I think talking on your cell phone while driving should be considered a moving violation.<br /><br /> Here's the link

11 footer

Lieutenant

What about the slob stuffing her face with a bigmac while driving? Hows that any different?<br /><br />If they ban cellphones while driving it will be just like the seatbelt laws, no one will follow it.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Ryan T.:<br /> What about the slob stuffing her face with a bigmac while driving? Hows that any different?<br /><br />If they ban cellphones while driving it will be just like the seatbelt laws, no one will follow it.
And the skank putting on her "much needed" makeup.<br />Hands free is appropriate, not a ban.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I keep my conversations very short and only talk in non-conjested areas. If my wife calls me while she is driving I tell her to call me back later.<br /><br />Cell phones are very distracting cause it is hard to hear. You have to concentrate to discern what is being said because of the poor audio quality. You use a lot of thinking to fill in the information gaps to infer what is being said. Talking to someone in the car is much less distracting.<br /><br />For some reason, people believe they HAVE to answer the phone. Doesnt bother me a bit to let it ring all day.<br /><br />Ken

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

[/quote]Initial studies show that drivers using hands-free sets are no less likely to avoid an accident than someone talking on an actual cell phone. Also, People driving and talking on a cell phone are 4 times as likely to be in an accident. I think talking on your cell phone while driving should be considered a moving violation.<br /><br /> [/QB][/quote]<br /><br />No matter what your position on an issue is, you can find "studies" to support it.<br /><br />Studies have shown that you are 100 times more likely to be involved in an auto accident if you are in an automobile instead of a submarine. :) <br /><br />Older folks have slow reaction times. Ban them?<br />Younger drivers have poorer judgement.Ban them?<br />Fat people can't move fast enough. Ban them?<br />I wear contacts that dry out on occasion. Ban me?<br />Etc. Etc. Etc.<br /><br />You can't legislate everything. Where does it end?

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by KenImpZoom<br />
Talking to someone in the car is much less distracting.<br />
Depends who your talking to. ;)

ZmOz

Captain

The reason cell phones are being banned is because EVERYONE has one and they all want to use it in the car. It's probably the only device where everybody who owns one tries to use it while driving. Not everybody is obese. Not everybody tries to eat cheeseburgers while they drive. Not everybody is old. EVERYBODY has a cell phone. And even those that agree it shouldn't be used while driving do it every now and then. I was nearly hit head on by a suburban a few days ago when the stupid woman driving and talking on the phone was driving in my lane! If I had glanced away I'd probably be dead. I wish they were illegal here. Even so, I do ocassionally use mine while driving - I shouldn't. If I concentrate on what I'm talking about I miss stops and drive right by where I was going. If I concentrate on the driving I start mumbling and not making any sense on the phone...

Homerr

Commander

Old subject... Don't get me started :mad: <br /><br />I agree... Make it a moving violation.. or a 'distracted driving' infraction. Banning them? I wouldn't be disappointed with that either.<br /><br />Way too many idiots using cell phones while driving.<br /><br /><br />H.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

My point on this Homerr is why go after the smokers that smoke in their cars? Where do who ever it is make a connection on the distraction of driving and smoking? I can agree that if a cig is dropped, the driver is then distracted. That would be no difference than a bee flying into the window and the driver trying to let it out, or kill it. Either one does not happen nearly as much as cell phone users.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> My point on this Homerr is why go after the smokers that smoke in their cars?
Because they throw them out the window causing litter and fires. I doubt it has anything to do with the distraction...

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

He who would trade liberty for security deserves neither.- Ben Franklin<br /><br />That's the quote as best as I can rember it.<br /><br />ZmOz, I'm glad your OK after that experience. I just have a big problem with the premise that we can legislate stupidity out of the human race. Everyone as a problem with something. If we all get our way none of us will have any freedoms left.<br /><br />Somehow airline pilots are able to land while talking on the radio. Those who can't talk on the phone with a hands free device without going off the bridge probably aren't very good drivers in the first place. It can't be any more of a distraction than a screaming baby in the carseat or a blaring stereo. Do we ban those too? <br /><br />This was not meant to be a nasty post. Just MY opinion.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by alden:<br />
Initial studies show that drivers using hands-free sets are no less likely to avoid an accident than someone talking on an actual cell phone. Also, People driving and talking on a cell phone are 4 times as likely to be in an accident. I think talking on your cell phone while driving should be considered a moving violation.<br /><br /> [/QB][/quote]<br /><br />No matter what your position on an issue is, you can find "studies" to support it.<br /><br />Studies have shown that you are 100 times more likely to be involved in an auto accident if you are in an automobile instead of a submarine. :) <br /><br />Older folks have slow reaction times. Ban them?<br />Younger drivers have poorer judgement.Ban them?<br />Fat people can't move fast enough. Ban them?<br />I wear contacts that dry out on occasion. Ban me?<br />Etc. Etc. Etc.<br /><br />You can't legislate everything. Where does it end? [/QB][/quote]<br /><br />The big difference here are variables. Old people getting slower with age is a constant. Same with kids being kids, it will always be that way. Things like eating while driving are variables too, but they do not impact driving ablilty to any large degree that has been studied that I'm aware of, but who knows. Drinking alchohol impacts driving ability to a great degree. That is why you're not allowed to drink and drive. Cell phones are shown to have a rather large impact on driving ability also, as in a four-fold increase in accident likeliness while one is in use by the driver.<br /><br />Bottom line is if you can take away the variables that make the situation more dangerous, then by all means please do so. If you're on a closed course, then I don't care. But when my kids are out driving on the same roads as someone with a 4x greater chance of wrecking, then we have a problem.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br />Because they throw them out the window causing litter and fires. I doubt it has anything to do with the distraction... <br /><br />I agree that is wrong and it is wrong to throw any other litter out of the car. But there is litter laws already in all the states for that offense.<br /><br />I think it is crazy for anyone to think that eating snack food, drinking a soda, chewing gum, and smoking is dangerous. It should be common sense that anything that takes your mind off the road should be prohibited or just not done.