Drain Plug ! WHY TAKE IT OUT AND LEAVE IT OUT?

cr2k

Captain
Re: Drain Plug ! WHY TAKE IT OUT AND LEAVE IT OUT?

My cousin brought me his boat to fix. He had it coverd and was out of town and the wind blew his cover off and it rained. I had to flush his tilt/trim system and he will need a starter soon. Not mention if you get too much water it can get in your gimbal brg and U-Joints from inside the boat.

Boat out, plug out. Yes I have had to jump in the water to put the plug in after getting distracted during set up to launch. But only once. And we don't like to talk about these things so....Shhh it happens.

reelfishin

Captain

It's never even crossed my mind to leave the plug in while the boat is on the trailer. Too many what ifs to consider, what if the tarp leaks, what if the tarp caves in under a big rain or gets hit by a branch, what if the tarp blows off in a strong wind...

I also have all aluminum boats, all but one, and on the aluminum boats, I flush the bilge with freshwater after every run, pull the plug to let it all dry out.

After all, how hard is it to just pop the plug back in when you hitch up the boat to go fishing?

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always take mine out at the launch and throw it in the cup holder. let it breath

i have a routine when launching that seems to work pretty good.

1 unplug trailer lights
2 hop in boat grab plug turn on blower
3 remove tie down straps from back of boat and hey im bent down removing the straps with the drain hole right in my face pop it in and ready to go.:cool:

cheetah90,

Watch out for those blasted geese upsetting your routine.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=413378

I take my drain plug out when trailering the boat and put it back in right before launching the boat. I hope the geese don't show up at my ramp.:eek:

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mine comes out after retrieval and back in at launch. Its part of a planned system, so knock on fiberglass we have yet to forget.

Sure, the boat is covered but it is stored outside so rainwater is a real possibility. But also there are dribbles that may migrate from the ski locker/carpet/etc that will work out while parked.

Sometimes its good to look at the why... occasionally the only reason is "...well, thats the way I've always done it.":)

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And about the freaking geese!! Why is it that they HAVE to use the docks at my favorite ramp as a recepticle for their geese grease! Its like a mini mine field on that thing.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I guess this is why I leave the plug out- I store my boat outside in the summer.

Came home after a trip out of town a couple weeks ago- turns out while we were gone we had a series of pretty serious rainstorms with high winds at home, where the boat was.

Branch 1, cover 0.

Wet interior, but at least the bilge was not full.:)

Attachments

• branch meets cover.jpg
    branch meets cover.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1

GatorMike

Ensign

Forget to put the plug in???? That is a mistake we all make one time, like forgeting to lock down the trailer. You make those mistakes once.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

You guys may want to consider this slick little guy we use at Pro-Line...
LencoBox001.jpg

2 sets of threads, one at the base of the plug, the other at the end. Unscrew, let it hang there, water drains out, plug will never go anywhere unless you engage the second set to remove it all the way...

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

I completely agree with everyone that said leave it out. I have never seen a 100% waterproof cover and wind can lift the cover or whip rain under it. Some covers sag and let puddles collect to seep through. If there is any wood or foam in the bilge area you need all the ventilatoin you can get to help dry them out. Even stored in a garrage the moisture needs a place to go. As always; every little bit helps.