Does anyone remember when car & boat engines only had.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Love that truck. Had a 68 panel with a 454. Was an ass kicker. Wish I had better pictures.
When I turned 16, custom vans were popular but I couldn’t afford one, so my very first “car” was a ‘67 Chevy Carryall (Suburban) with the 283 and 2 speed powerglide. Put huge chrome rims and TigerPaw tires on it, along with astroturf in the back. The girls seemed to like it!

FLATHEAD

Captain
When I turned 16, custom vans were popular but I couldn’t afford one, so my very first “car” was a ‘67 Chevy Carryall (Suburban) with the 283 and 2 speed powerglide. Put huge chrome rims and TigerPaw tires on it, along with astroturf in the back. The girls seemed to like it!
Ha ha I bet they did. My 68 was sitting for years before I bought it. Had a 6 cylinder with three speed Saginaw three on the tree. Dropped a 350 in with a mild cam and rigged up a hurst floor shift to the Saginaw. Blew the two piece driveshaft and carrier bearing out within hours. 😜 Changed that thing around a few times.
Had a 70 C10 4WD that I drove for a little while with intent to make it decent but it just needed way to much body work.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ha ha I bet they did. My 68 was sitting for years before I bought it. Had a 6 cylinder with three speed Saginaw three on the tree. Dropped a 350 in with a mild cam and rigged up a hurst floor shift to the Saginaw. Blew the two piece driveshaft and carrier bearing out within hours. 😜 Changed that thing around a few times.
Had a 70 C10 4WD that I drove for a little while with intent to make it decent but it just needed way to much body work.
Pretty common for me to snap a u joint if I got good traction in 2nd gear on a hot road. I kept few u joints in the trunk and did many roadside swaps.
Those were the days.

Attachments

• IMG_1504.jpeg
    IMG_1504.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3

FLATHEAD

Captain
Pretty common for me to snap a u joint if I got good traction in 2nd gear on a hot road. I kept few u joints in the trunk and did many roadside swaps.
Those were the days.
Yep, have done the walk of shame to go back and pick up the driveshaft. 😆

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It’s only this shiny because I had it displayed in Tavares at the boat show . I do run it quite a bit though . 3A029EB4-217E-4991-8284-33C595DEC28D.jpeg

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Starter switch might foot operated , right above the gas pedal.----My 1940 Plymouth was like that.----Dimmer was also foot operated on many cars.
just like our '45 Willy's, so you can operate throttle and ignition switch with same foot

the '70 skylark had moved ignition switch into key-module, but still had dimmer on the floor

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This was another simple machine.
56 Kiser that had a little 4 banger in it but it had the balls to pull its self out of any situation.
We never got stuck.

Attachments

• IMG_1505.jpeg
    IMG_1505.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

matt167

Rear Admiral
I had a ‘50 Plymouth.. one of the revolutionary marketing terms was one of the first vehicles to have key start ( no floor start or push button)

flashback

Captain
And now we have gone back to push button starting ...
Let's hope we don't have a resurrection of vacuum drive windshield wipers. I've never figured that one out. We had electric motors in those days.

dwco5051

Commander
Starter switch might foot operated , right above the gas pedal.----My 1940 Plymouth was like that.----Dimmer was also foot operated on many cars.
Had a couple of mid 50's Buicks that you would turn the key and depress the gas pedal. A Studebaker that you had to depress the clutch so you wouldn't start it in gear. Several old trucks with out solenoids, just a pedal that was foot operated, a lot of military equipment kept them that way long after civilian stuff was changed. I seem to remember a vehicle with automatic tranny that you would pull the column lever towards to activate the starter but don't remember what it was.