Does anyone remember when car & boat engines only had.

dwco5051

Commander
Let's hope we don't have a resurrection of vacuum drive windshield wipers. I've never figured that one out. We had electric motors in those days.
I remember M38 Jeeps with hand cranks on the wipers. Can't remember if that was only on the passenger side or not.

flashback

Captain
I remember M38 Jeeps with hand cranks on the wipers. Can't remember if that was only on the passenger side or not.
That's interesting at least you could manually operate the wipers while running for your life.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
As a hot rodder from the 80s and 90s, I built EFI systems.....,really expensive early systems..... Only to have less peak power and the same economy as a properly tuned carb. After rebuilding the same motors for the third time and getting them retuned.....for the 7th time.... I realized EFI has its limitations.

Drive enough miles and one gets disenchanted with vehicle and boat OEMs

With that stated.... Anyone have a cam-driven mag with mechanical advance I can use on an LS with an 8.5" diameter damper

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
On older boats I’ll take the old tech anyday. Reasons:
EFI has computers, sensors & multiple points of failure.
Older boat EFI system parts are often discontinued
Corrosion in terminals is a common cause of intermittent headaches
I can fully clean & rebuild a Quadrajet or Holley in about 2 hrs and replace a set of points in about 1/2 hr. The carb rebuilds usually are good for 6-8 years depending fuel quality. Points well the set in there are 8 seasons old.
I’d rather have this than the varied headaches you can have with computer controlled EFI….

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have all read about the recent events with folks trapped in electric cars.-----Computers and push buttons failed miserably.-----Manufacturers should be ashamed of vehicles with no manual back up to open doors . crank windows down.-----Old time systems wore out / degraded slowly.------Gave you a hint to have it looked at.-----New stuff works one day and not the next.

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
had a 1958 ? Parklane 4 door with the giant engine & automatic.
The front float chamber had a piece of the gasket missing. But G Fource forced gas out of the chamber & down the carb. Fantastic burnouts. Parents banned me to drive it. Back to a 6 cylinder Pontiac.
Great auto times at major car hop places. Close a highway for a couple of drags. No accidents. Police allowed it. Very different people back then. WE were TOGETHER.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I refuse to:
Get rid of my boat with a carb & no electronics
Get rid of my 2 stroke yard equipment. I have a bunch:
1998 Toro 2 stroke Suzuki 5 hp snow blower
Echo trimmer
Echo blower
Echo hedge trimmer
Husqvarna chain saw
All the Echo machines are about 20 years old, excellent machines good parts availability…
Electric? We have a Makita electric blower if you have a big job better have 6 batteries or else you’re waiting for recharging

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I refuse to:
Get rid of my boat with a carb & no electronics
Get rid of my 2 stroke yard equipment. I have a bunch:
1998 Toro 2 stroke Suzuki 5 hp snow blower
Echo trimmer
Echo blower
Echo hedge trimmer
Husqvarna chain saw
All the Echo machines are about 20 years old, excellent machines good parts availability…
Electric? We have a Makita electric blower if you have a big job better have 6 batteries or else you’re waiting for recharging
All my Echo stuff is from the mid 80’s and still going strong. People laugh at my older stuff but are surprised when they see how well it runs.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I remember that system on my 1943 Harley Davidson Liberator. I always had a little tool kit with spare points and plugs tied onto the sidecar. I bought it in 1973 brand new in the crate from an army over stock depot in Marocco while on a tip there. I drove it north to the Netherlands where 2 years later I had to sell it for lack of maintenance funds. It was the only bike I ever owned with a reverse gear.

FLATHEAD

Captain
I remember that system on my 1943 Harley Davidson Liberator. I always had a little tool kit with spare points and plugs tied onto the sidecar. I bought it in 1973 brand new in the crate from an army over stock depot in Marocco while on a tip there. I drove it north to the Netherlands where 2 years later I had to sell it for lack of maintenance funds. It was the only bike I ever owned with a reverse gear.
Simplicity at its finest, those little 45 CI flattys easy to work on. Not much for HP but pretty reliable, and a blast to ride. All the ones I owned had three speeds trans. I installed a reverse gear on my 02 electraglide when I added the sidecar. Was kind of a waste, I think in two years I used reverse once. Bike is easy to just roll back.

flashback

Captain
Simplicity at its finest, those little 45 CI flattys easy to work on. Not much for HP but pretty reliable, and a blast to ride. All the ones I owned had three speeds trans. I installed a reverse gear on my 02 electraglide when I added theon sidecar. Was kind of a waste, I think in two years I used reverse once. Bike is easy to just roll back.
On flat ground