Do I need to reinforce?

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Iboats.jpgclick thumbnail

I am going to add a kicker mount to my 1990 Bayliner Trophy CC. I already have a Evinrude 2hp that I hope will push it enough to troll some lures behind me. I may have to replace the 2hp with a larger motor one day. The thing I need to know about is mount location. The 2hp is a short shaft so I need to put the mount as low as possible. Where I am thinking of putting it, the bottom bolts would be about 2 inches above the water line when the boat is adrift. Also, the transom comes down about 20 inches verticaly from the top, then turns inward at an angle, then turns at an even sharper angle before turning under the boat. The secton of the first turn is where the short shaft will work best, but the transom is only 5-1\2 inches tall between the turns. Is that an ok place? It is also only fiberglass there. Do I need to put something on the inside of the hull to reinforce it?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Do I need to reinforce?

Yeah, you'll need a backer plate. Wood or aluminum plate.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The bigger the better, I'd make it at least 12" wide and whatever fits best on the height.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the bigger the better.....if you use wood.....glass that puppy in with csm and 1708.....make it like another transom.
that will be a lot of weight bouncing while on the trailer.

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now the trouble is how do I get that large of a piece of wood in there without cutting the deck?

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anymore tips? The battery box is close but 12-13 inches is all I could fit in a solid piece of wood. Then to glass it in would be kind of blind work just feeling around and smearing it.