DIY Trailer Guide Ons

superbenk

Commander
Created some new trailer guide-ons yesterday using some basic materials from the local hardware store. My main goals for these guide-ons was:
  1. Make trailer more visible when there isn't a boat on it (for retrieval)
  2. Help hold the stern in place during moderate winds/currents when retrieving

(click for larger image)

(click for larger image)

(click for larger image)

I used a 3/4" PVC about 34" long with a 8" x 1/2" aluminum tube inside it for reinforcement where the U-bolts clamp the tube to the trailer. Over the 3/4" PVC I slid another 34" long piece of 1" PVC to add some rigidity without sacrificing some flexibility/spring. The top of the 1" PVC is capped with a 1" cap glued on & the bottom of the 3/4" PVC is capped with a similar 3/4" cap with a hole drilled into it to release water.

I was thinking of wrapping the tops of the poles with some reflective tape to add visibility at night. Hope someone finds this inspiring/useful :)

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: DIY Trailer Guide Ons

Those ARE nice, well thought plan, a little flex and spring back action is great, they will also locate your boat in same spot every time, I have a similar pair only they are store bought.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I have found that the pvc only guides don't last long. One good hit and they don't recover. If the boat is half on/off, and it pivots around the guide, lots of force will be applied. So be real careful when loading.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

just finnished these yesterday, not sure if I built them high enough?

P1000415.jpg

P1000413.jpg

superbenk

Commander

I have found that the pvc only guides don't last long. One good hit and they don't recover. If the boat is half on/off, and it pivots around the guide, lots of force will be applied. So be real careful when loading.

Ya, I'm concerned about that too. That's why I put the short lengths of aluminum tubing inside the 3/4" PVC where the U-bolts are. Regardless, we really don't boat in places where real sturdy support should be all that critical. Even if they do break, it's only about $5 in PVC lost :)

mark2sullivan

Banned

Very nice! Amazing how a little planning can payoff! It sounds like it should work well. Inspires me to do the same sort of thing!!

superbenk

Commander

Very nice! Amazing how a little planning can payoff! It sounds like it should work well. Inspires me to do the same sort of thing!!

Thanks! Honestly it was kind of a spontaneous Saturday project my dad & I embarked on. We had some aluminum lying around from a large coat rack and I had been wanting something to help me see the trailer when I was backing it in without the boat on it. After some fiddling around & a quick trip to the hardware store, this is what we threw together. My original plan was to build some side bunks, but that was more involved and I wasn't quite sure how to put that together. This was MUCH simpler & cheaper & I think for all intents & purposes will work (provided they don't break).

We were originally considering doing them in solid aluminum piping, but were afraid they wouldn't be as forgiving of bumping and bending. We figured once they got pushed against & bent, that'd be the end of it with aluminum. The PVC was chosen specifically so they'd have a little spring in them. The doubling up of 3/4" & 1" PVC should give it some significant strength while still allowing for some flex.

We're going to try to head out this Thursday with the boat, so I'll try to get some action shots & post a review of how they worked out!

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

just finnished these yesterday, not sure if I built them high enough?

P1000415.jpg

P1000413.jpg

RBH, you may want to raise those just a bit. Depending on where you launch and how deep the trailer is and steepness of the ramp you may be close to floating over those.IMHO