REVERSE ONLY hmmmm?

yardvarks

Recruit
I just bought an old 67 16' larson w/4cyld chevy mercruiser120. First off I admit I know nothing about working on boats. I purchased it at an estate sale really cheap. The old man before me had started restoring it.
My quesion is; I took it out the other day to try it out. It started right up after sitting all winter, sounded great, went into reverse and stayed in reverse. I could get it into neutral sometimes but never forward.
Any ideas.
also anyone know how to look info up on a particular i/o I'd like to buy a manual but don't know what year my engine is.. errrr

Thanks alot

Laddies

Banned
Re: REVERSE ONLY hmmmm?

You should post in the Mercruiser section but it sounds like a bad outer shift cable

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Mercruiser, Volvo and OMC I/O or Inboard Engine Problems forum.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats.....:)
Sounds like a bad lower shift cable to me......
Since it is a '67 you should post up your serial # because that is the first year for MC-1......
Either way you need Merc. manual #1.......(two books)
I will give you the free link to #6 ,which is not the exact manual, but will help you familiarize yourself with the setup while you locate the right one......
One thing you really need to check is the condition of the rubber bellows on the drive, it is imperitave they do not fail & they are the next step after shift cable replacement.....
I recommend they be replaced anyway as the service life of the cable & bellows is about the same (seven years or so)........;)