Inboard outboard air cooled engine

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Inboard outboard air cooled engine

Hey maxum, That sounds like the right thing to do, besides we figured that after the maiden voyage, and shakedown cruise, you might have to do this to work all the bugs out, and dial it all in.[/QUOT

The hose coupling didn't work to well!:( Time to try again.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Reworked the shifter tonight on the boat. As I had said before the way the shifter was set up it shifted too easy and it was forward or reverse, it would skip over neutral most of the time.

I cut the shift handle so it sticks straight out of the box instead of making a turn up toward the seat. Then added a swivel bracket that makes it shift quite a bit harder than before. As I shift the bracket swivels with the handle. It's a lot tighter shift pattern now than what I had before. I know when the engine is running it will shift easier but am hopeing that there will be enough tension that the shifter won't jump past neutral.

Am hopeing to get the lovejoy coupling this weekend, if so may be able to give it a test run next weekend.:)

Here's a couple pictures of the reworked shifter showing the different shift positions.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant

Got the lovejoy coupling today. Went together pretty easy, wish I had of known about this type of coupling a long time ago, would have saved a lot of time making up couplings on the air cooled outboard engines that I had done in the past.

Was told the couplings are rated for up to 21 horse power. I purchased a 1" half for the engine shaft and a 9/16" half for the lower unit shaft and a spider rated for 3400 rpm.

I hope to give it a try this coming weekend and see how things work! :)

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0

MikDee

Banned

That is Great News Maxum! Now we're cookin with gas ;) It sure looks, & sounds like it's capable, maybe the old coupling was slipping some, and you'll actually get more speed, & power out of this coupling?! Either way I hope you now have an easier, & better, way to find neutral, & engage it, to take the load off it quickly. Good Luck to you again in your quest, keep us informed buddy! Mike

maxum247

Lieutenant

Hopeing to get it right this time. I'm ready to get back to work on my other boat! Summers close!:)

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0

reelfishin

Captain

My Duracraft aluminum boat had some sort of air cooled powered over the transom power. It had a tall outdrive unit with a chain drive and a pillow block over the transom, the motor was an old Clinton horizontal shaft 4 stroke with a chain drive and chain that ran up to drive the inside of the outer drive. I tossed most of it and sold the motor on eBay figuring it was all someones homemade rig, but have since seen similar rigs on other older boats. Just picture an outboard with a divorced powerhead. The motor mounted to the boat floor and drove the outdrive which hung over the transom with a chain. There was a forward and revere lever which reversed the outdrive.

Another idea I liked was the older 'Dipper' motors in which the drive and motor were on a pivot and mounted midship and could be raised and lowered.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hopeing to get it right this time. I'm ready to get back to work on my other boat! Summers close!:)

Atta boy maxum I sure hope the coupling works this time. Good to hear that you are still working on it. Guess you had to spend time with your loved ones for a while. glad to see you back . Good luck.:D

maxum247

Lieutenant

My Duracraft aluminum boat had some sort of air cooled powered over the transom power. It had a tall outdrive unit with a chain drive and a pillow block over the transom, the motor was an old Clinton horizontal shaft 4 stroke with a chain drive and chain that ran up to drive the inside of the outer drive. I tossed most of it and sold the motor on eBay figuring it was all someones homemade rig, but have since seen similar rigs on other older boats. Just picture an outboard with a divorced powerhead. The motor mounted to the boat floor and drove the outdrive which hung over the transom with a chain. There was a forward and revere lever which reversed the outdrive.

Another idea I liked was the older 'Dipper' motors in which the drive and motor were on a pivot and mounted midship and could be raised and lowered.

Sounds interesting, don't beleive I've seen anything like that. Thinking back though It seems like Lone Duck might have mentioned something simular about hanging the lower unit off the stern with the motor left in the boat.

Oh! By the way! Like the name: "reelfishin".:)

maxum247

Lieutenant

I've redone some things on the Shaker as mentioned earlier on, so if the weather holds I'll give it another test run this weekend. Sounds like rain tomorrow, will have to wait and see how the weather and wind is this weekend!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Raining today and windy. Looks like I'll have to wait tell tomorrow to try the boat.:(

maxum247

Lieutenant

Atta boy maxum I sure hope the coupling works this time. Good to hear that you are still working on it. Guess you had to spend time with your loved ones for a while. glad to see you back. Good luck.:D

Yeap! That's correct, time with the family.

Been doing a little work on my other boat here and there as time and weather permit.:)

maxum247

Lieutenant

Windy again today, suns shining and it's cold. Rarely get days around here in the winter where the wind isn't blowing on shore, makes it hard to launch with the waves breaking on the ramp.

The sound will be calm a couple days out of the week and come the weekend the wind picks up pretty much on a regular basis during the winter months around here. Will get a nice weekend day once in awhile. Oh well! Will test it when I can!:(

maxum247

Lieutenant

Took the boat out today for a test run. Everything worked pretty well except the shifter, still having trouble getting it to go into neutral. It's either forward or reverse most of the time. For now I'll start the engine in neutral and shift into forward leaving the dock and cut the power to the engine and coast in to the dock when coming in.
Still doesn't plane out but I think that's because the motor will not turn up enough rpm at full throttle compared to an outboard. May try to find a different propeller for it in the future. But for now it will be fine.
Will need to make a little larger rudder for it, The one I originally made for it isn't quite big enough.
Made a little change to the exhaust by taking the muffler off and running it straight pipe, seemed to be a little less noisy.
It has been fun building the "SHAKER". Maybe someday I'll get all the little problems worked out! But for now I plan to do some boat riding and fishing with it!
If I ever do another project like this I would use a boat that is longer than 12 foot, this one is a little small.:)

Attachments

• Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 0

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Took the boat out today for a test run. Everything worked pretty well except the shifter, still having trouble getting it to go into neutral. It's either forward or reverse most of the time. For now I'll start the engine in neutral and shift into forward leaving the dock and cut the power to the engine and coast in to the dock when coming in.
Still doesn't plane out but I think that's because the motor will not turn up enough rpm at full throttle compared to an outboard. May try to find a different propeller for it in the future. But for now it will be fine.
Will need to make a little larger rudder for it, The one I originally made for it isn't quite big enough.
Made a little change to the exhaust by taking the muffler off and running it straight pipe, seemed to be a little less noisy.
It has been fun building the "SHAKER". Maybe someday I'll get all the little problems worked out! But for now I plan to do some boat riding and fishing with it!
If I ever do another project like this I would use a boat that is longer than 12 foot, this one is a little small.:)
Y
YEEEEHAAW! Glad to hear it is working for you. Does the lovejoy run smooth? Seems I've been holding my breath for weeks waiting to hear how things went. As for getting on plane you will need more engine that has a greater rpm. You have to overcome the drag caused by the L U. hanging so low. Perhaps a nicely shaped keel running from nothing 5 ft. forward to the depth of your prop tip will help. Now go catch us a fish.:D

maxum247

Lieutenant

Y
YEEEEHAAW! Glad to hear it is working for you. Does the lovejoy run smooth? Seems I've been holding my breath for weeks waiting to hear how things went. As for getting on plane you will need more engine that has a greater rpm. You have to overcome the drag caused by the L U. hanging so low. Perhaps a nicely shaped keel running from nothing 5 ft. forward to the depth of your prop tip will help. Now go catch us a fish.:D

The lovejoy coupling works real well. I am pretty happy with it!:)

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0

MikDee

Banned

Woohoo! Been patiently waiting myself to hear how it all turned out? I'm glad to hear the lovejoy coupling works well, as was originally suggested by Lone Duck.

The muffler sounding better being off, means it is not being baffled, thats why I suggested a straight thru muffler, And the longer the pipe after the motor, or a straight thru muffler the quieter, & more mellow it's gonna sound.

If your motor is powerful enough not to bicker, or stumble, when you go to WOT (wide open throttle), then you need more pitch on that prop,,, most props are 2" different in pitch, but it's hard to say (in this situation), how much pitch you can go without overloading the motor? but I'd bet you could step up 1 change of pitch easy.

I hear you about the 12' boat being a bit small, but I bet it would be great for cruising, or fishing, on protected waterways.

Good for you, and the Best of luck with it, I'll be checking back, time, to time, to see how you're doing. Mike

maxum247

Lieutenant

Woohoo! Been patiently waiting myself to hear how it all turned out? I'm glad to hear the lovejoy coupling works well, as was originally suggested by Lone Duck.

The muffler sounding better being off, means it is not being baffled, thats why I suggested a straight thru muffler, And the longer the pipe after the motor, or a straight thru muffler the quieter, & more mellow it's gonna sound.

If your motor is powerful enough not to bicker, or stumble, when you go to WOT (wide open throttle), then you need more pitch on that prop,,, most props are 2" different in pitch, but it's hard to say (in this situation), how much pitch you can go without overloading the motor? but I'd bet you could step up 1 change of pitch easy.

I hear you about the 12' boat being a bit small, but I bet it would be great for cruising, or fishing, on protected waterways.

Good for you, and the Best of luck with it, I'll be checking back, time, to time, to see how you're doing. Mike

Gonna work on the exhaust at some point and ad one of the straight through mufflers unless making the exhaust pipe longer does the job, I kind of like the way it sounds straight pipe.
So far it is smooth from idle to wide open no stalling or coughing.
I'm already dreaming about an engine with higher horsepower! Hey, wait a minute I've got a 14hp on my new riding lawn mower! Wonder if the wife would notice?:D
Think I'm gonna keep my eye's open for another prop. That is if I can figure out what size prop is on it now, part of the stamping is missing on the prop so it's a something times 8 1/2. There's a guy about an hour drive from here that used to deal with older motor parts, some day when I'm up his way I'll stop in and give him the specs on the lower unit, I'm pretty sure he'll be able to get me straight on the prop.:)

Attachments

• Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey this is a great project I diden't know this kinda thing was possible! But I guess it is. I diden't see anyone suggesting a sailboat tiller for a rudder I think that would have been way eiser and that way you could remove it whenever you needed too.

Fuzzey

maxum247

Lieutenant

Hey this is a great project I diden't know this kinda thing was possible! But I guess it is. I diden't see anyone suggesting a sailboat tiller for a rudder I think that would have been way eiser and that way you could remove it whenever you needed too.

Fuzzey
That would come in handy at the launch ramp from time to time!:)

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Maxum..that transom looks like it is sitting pretty low in the water or am I just seeing things?

Talking about another motor with higher horse power, as I mentioned in the past don't forget a motorcycle motor or something to the likes would be pretty neat.

How fast will that thing go?