Disappointed... or something

comet traveler

Seaman Apprentice
It's not my intention to start anything here, but rather just to maybe make people think a little harder. I think there are a lot of great people on here. The few posts I've made with questions I've received help with stuff and that's really cool, but looking through this particular forum has shown me a kind of scary side to the seemingly majority of people on here. There has been lots of stuff in here about gay people and it seems like 95% of it is really really strongly against gays and is pretty harsh. All kinds of stuf like "gay predators", "social decline", moral crimes against humanity" and ENDLESS jokes. Do you guys have any idea what you're saying? <br />Yes, there are "gay predators" just like there are "straight predators" but don't you realize the the vast majority of gay people are just the people you walk by on the street or see on the lake and don't even realize it? <br />I'm 23 now, probably quite a bit younger than most of you guys, but I hope that maybe I can open you up a little bit to this subject. I have two boats that I really really enjoy. One is a 1960s Traveler (fiberglass runabout) that I've restored (or more like am restoring), and the other is an old beater Bayliner runabout that as you might imagine I am constantly working on. I volunteer 12-30 hours a week as a medic for a local rescue squad, and work with a medevac helicopter agency(dispatching, tracking, etc). I'm beginning a pursuit of a nursing degree so I can become a flight nurse on a medevac helo. I don't want to spend my life just to make money and do things for myself, I certainly don't want to hurt anyone, rather I want to spend my life helping others have a better life even if I am risking my life to do so. And guess what... I'm gay. <br />You all speak of pulling your children from public schools and hiding them from all these things... that's how I have grown up. I went to a small southern baptist school and my parents are very very anti gay. When I left home it was because they found out about me and I was forced to leave. These things aren't going to make their lives better, especially if your own child IS gay... it's going to hurt them, more than you can imagine. I agree that some things happening are probably too much... like books for six year olds with straight and gay relationships in them, etc. Six year olds don't need to be worried about ANY of that. But at the same time it really bothers me with how extreme you guys act about homosexuality. <br />It's not a choice, it's just the way we are... same as being straight is not a choice, it's just the way straight people are. You know the 'eww' feeling you guys get with the idea of sex with another guy? That's the same feeling WE get with the idea of it with a girl. We're all made differently, and aren't meant to necessarily understand the other, but we SHOULD know that that doesn't make it bad, or wrong. <br />I know this is getting long so I'll try to end it here. For those of you who do understand that it's ok and stand up for us, thank you so much. And thank you all for reading.

one more cast

Captain
Re: Disappointed... or something

CT, I don't know what it is like to be gay but I did do enough research on the subject (because my sister is gay) to be able to understand it more clearly and I am a much better person these days.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree, with you, CT, Many of my friends are gay (male and female) and they don't try and come on to me or my wife. They certainly don't prey on our (or anyone else's) children. Our kids are growing up accepting that it normal. If only the older generation had more understanding. <br /><br />N.B. I know how dissapointing it can be when people you would seem to respect suddenly come across with such strong objections to something that really dosen't effect them. I asked a question about piercings once..... Holy cow, I was saddly dissapointed at how narrow minded some people can be.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would like to see a world where everyone is gay, oh wait I forgot the newer meaning of the word.<br /> <br />Can a homosexual be gay and pick up fagots to burn them in a fire? {the answer is yes} Just a little humor and a way to show how words have been twisted to mean other things. I really don't have a problem with how another lives as long as they don't have to make a circus out of how they live, parades, etc...

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

comet.<br /><br />Very well said.<br />Now I believe in one's right to choice be it religous, maritial, right to life, or sexual orientation.<br /><br />I believe that some of the best citizens in the country are gay. I think just because someone is gay doesnt make them a predator etc...<br /><br />Im an educated man with strong morals and values like many gay and lesbian ppl all over the world.<br />Now I believe that homosexuality is not a choice you are born that way, and you should be allowed to live what ever lifestyle you choose as long as its not detrimental to society or others.<br /><br />I think from both a historical biblical and propogation, that a union of 2 people should be man and women. I dont feel that gay unions should be allowed to exist legally, and furthermore I believe that once again the sancity of marriage between man and women is being downplayed, in order for people who live an alternative lifestyle can gain the same rights under the law.<br /><br />Practice and live how you wish and I applaude you for it but just because your gay doenst mean it should be an issue. Im straight white male who is quickly becoming a second class citizen because of political correctness.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Comet, many of use feel that we dont like being told that being gay is "normal".<br /><br />It just isnt.<br /><br />Other than that, gays dont bother me a bit.<br /><br />Ken

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Thanks for sharing your opinions and personal views. Don't be suprised if there are those whose opinions differ from yours. As communication is 85% expression and 15% syntax you may have misunderstood many peoples positions on the topic.<br /><br />Good luck with your lofty and admirable personal goals. Your sexual aspirations mean nothing to me.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

and that response Ken, is the very thing that is so disappointing. The fact that so many people, yourself being one of them obviously, branding anyone different to you as being "not normal".<br /><br />what makes you normal? it is all a matter of perspective, and many people seem to be unwilling to try and see things from a different point of view. Just try and see things from Comet's side of things. Or from mine, if you remember the way you responded to my question about body piercing.<br /><br />Go one, <br />I dare you.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

You know what really bothers me as a straight white male is the typical statements in this thread that because someone does not agree with the gay lifestyle somehow they are not as intelligent or "have not thought in through". One thing I have enjoyed about this forum is the ability of individuals to express their views either in commentary or in a joke. Political correctness be damned for its destruction of the right to free speech and its stiffling of differing beliefs and ideas from open public discourse. I for one do not believe that the gay lifestyle is destroying our society, but political correctness in and of itself.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Get used to it, Comet.<br /><br />Nobody who is not gay has any idea what being gay is. If you are liberal, you are gonna catch a lot of venom here; if you are not a fundamentalist Christian you will be similarly discounted.<br /><br />Clearly, heterosexuality is "normal". Without it our species would not exist. The idea that anything else is somehow evil or at least not normal is a normal human reaction. It is normal to demonize what we do not understand.<br /><br />There is no evidence that homosexuality is a choice, as Miloman believes. The overwhelming evidence is to the contrary. As well, there is no evidence that being gay increases a person's probability of being a sexual predator or a danger to children.<br /><br />I have many gay acquaintances and I have a gay daughter. While I have no idea how they feel I do understand that their homosexual feelings and behavior in no way injure me. Allowing them and their dedicated life partners the same human rights as traditional life partners would in no way injure me.<br /><br />Now, all that said you are in for insults and demeanment for the foreseeable future. You didn't choose to be gay, but you did choose to "come out" and to take on popular sentiments. That is an invitation to a fight. I wish you luck.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

freedom of speech is something that all people should have, however, knowing when to say something, and when not to, is something alot people have problems with. Some of the comments put forward by people here are very damaging. <br />No-one should brand anyone as normal or not. Because who can say what is normal?<br /><br />A bit of consideration needs to be used when telling a joke, what may seem harmless to some, can cut to the bone with others. <br />It's all common sense.<br /><br />my comments to Ken were simple. He saw what this thread was about, and deliberatly stated that gay people are not normal.<br />I challanged that point of view. simple.<br /><br />P.S. Jeff, what typical statements are you reffering to? and where is it said that someone is not as intelligent?

eeboater

Commander

Personally, I have no problem with a Gay person. Honestly, as long as you are not hurting anyone it is up to you what you do behind closed doors.<br /><br />What I take personal issue with is the fact that the "Gay movement" has become so in-your-face about it. How often do you read "I am a great guy, I own two boats, I volunteer in the community and guess what... I'm straight."<br /><br />You just don't. Personally, I'm tired of hearing about it. Its getting old. And I think the "movement" is losing its power because everyone else is getting tired of it. I find it interesting that the Gay community insists that they be treated the same as everyone else, yet they have to consistently push in my face that they are Gay. <br /><br />How about you just be Gay and get over it.<br /><br />Comet, I'm glad you volunteer - you sound like a great guy. You may be a little masochistic (read: Bayliner owner :D ), but I have a lot of crap in my life that is not easy. You know what I do? I adjust because I do not expect the rest of the world to change for me.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Sean

LadyFish

Admiral

Sorry your "disappointed....or something" CT. But just like yourself, everyone has the right to their own morals, beliefs and lifestyles.<br /><br />I don't mean to sound cold but the truth is....hatred of others because they are different, or we don't understand them, has been going on since the beginning of time. I guess we really haven't evolved much in that regard have we?<br /><br />This type of thread always turn sour real quick because this subject is a complex one. Just like the abortion issue, people feel very strongly about it one way or the other. Why? because anytime religious morals are involved and people are genuinely compassionate about a subject, it leads to a flame war. Nobody wins, everybody loses.<br /><br />The fact remains, we are ALL human beings and should respect people for whats in their hearts and souls, I find it sad that we don't.<br /><br />Just my .02.

gaugeguy

Captain

To each his own, I don't look down on anyone because of their sexual preference. I used to, no doubt about it. Then my brother came out of the closet and I have "re-adjusted" my thinking on the whole subject. I still slip up from time to time, like just the other day I called my youngest brother a "fag" in front of my brother that is gay. I felt bad that I may have hurt his feelings and I apologized.<br /><br />As far as gays being predators, I don't buy it. My brother and his partner are more than welcome to take my sons wherever and whenever and I know they are completely safe with them. And as far as "educating" my kids about it, it's a non-issue. I'm sure I'll field questions about it from them sooner or later, but for right now they are just Uncle Rick and Uncle Kevin to them.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Ken said gays are not normal, here is the dictionary definition of normal:<br />
nor·mal <br />adj. <br />Conforming with, adhering to, or constituting a norm, standard, pattern, level, or type; typical: normal room temperature; one's normal weight; normal diplomatic relations. <br />Biology. Functioning or occurring in a natural way; lacking observable abnormalities or deficiencies. <br />Abbr. n or N Chemistry. <br />Designating a solution having one gram equivalent weight of solute per liter of solution. <br />Designating an aliphatic hydrocarbon having a straight and unbranched chain of carbon atoms. <br />Mathematics. <br />Being at right angles; perpendicular. <br />Perpendicular to the direction of a tangent line to a curve or a tangent plane to a surface. <br /><br />Relating to or characterized by average intelligence or development. <br />Free from mental illness; sane. <br /><br />n. <br />Something normal; the standard: scored close to the normal. <br />The usual or expected state, form, amount, or degree. <br /><br />Correspondence to a norm. <br />An average. <br />Mathematics. A perpendicular, especially a perpendicular to a line tangent to a plane curve or to a plane tangent to a space curve.
Which definition of normal are you saying applies to gay people?<br /><br />As a society gay people make up less than 10% of the population, so definition #1 doesn't apply.<br /><br />Biologically, gay relations only occur in humans, no other mammals. Also it is generally agreed upon that the primary purpose of sex is procreation. So the biological defintion doesn't apply.<br /><br />Math and chemistry don't apply.<br /><br />Free from mental illness and normal intelligence. They apply. So if we are saying normal if solely free from mental illness and normal intelligence, Ken is technically incorrect.<br /><br />JB, <br />What scientific studies show being gay is not a choice? What scientific studies say being gay is a choice?<br />I would really like to know.<br /><br />If being gay isn't a choice, how is it that some gay people abandon the gay life style and adopt a heterosexual lifestyle? If you tell me they weren't truly gay to begin with fine. How do we test to determine those that are truly gay?<br /><br />I'm not gay bashing. I'm trying to use logic to come to the conclusions shouted by the gay rights community.<br /><br />The problem is the gay movement is well funded and promotes rhetoric as fact and science. I have no problem with equal rights regardless of lifestyle. I do have a problem with extraordinary rights soley because of a lifestyle.

jamesgreen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is deep. <br />I have been raised to view people as people not by who they are or what they choose to do or who they sleep with. It makes no difference to me. If I have learned one thing in my 32 years of being here life is to short to worry about what other people do. Step back a take a look at the world around us there is s$%t going on that makes far less since then being gay that we don't get nearly as upset about. And as far as gay marriage down playing a union between a man and a women seems like in my vows I said something to the effect of "til death do you part"(I'm not saying divorce is wrong I'm merely making a point). PEOPLE are quick to judge and that is where the problem is. Who to say what normal and abnormal is heck most of us own boats now there are some abnormal people. The world is getting smaller witch leaves less room for intolerance and hate.

jamesgreen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

guageguy,<br />I want to commend you for your actions. My father's brother was gay. He did not come to terms with it til it was almost to late. He died of brain cancer a few years later.

gaugeguy

Captain

Well James, it was either re-evaluate the situation or lose contact with my brother. I think I made the right choice. When it comes down to it, family is all you really have.