FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I hit a stump and put a ding in my alum. prop. Its about an inch long and ? inch deep. Theres no metal missing, jest bent it a little. Am I alright to just hammer this out, or does it need to be repaired professionally.
I would leave it alone or buy another one.
In the past i've tried to straighten aluminum props out and they just break off.
I run rivers alot and the prop on my 25 hp Johnson is beat to heck. Way worse then yours and it still works fine. I know guys with these big hp motors get their props repaired if there is so much as a ding in them but i'm not to worried about it. My motor runs the same whether its a new prop or a banged up prop. Been doing it for years without any problems.
Aluminum props are cast. As such, they get one bend, then break. If you want to straighten it, you must do it gradually, in stages. Do not get ham-handed with the hammer. You need to coax it back, gradually working the metal, not force it. Even so, if the bend is sharp it may still break.
I use the end of a 4 X 4 as an anvil while I am hammering the bend. It gives just enough "cushion"