Declaration of Independence banned from ELEMENTARY SCHOOL?!!?!?

eeboater

Commander
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!<br /><br /><br /> By Dan Whitcomb<br /><br />LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A California teacher has been barred by his school from giving students documents from American history that refer to God -- including the Declaration of Independence.<br /><br />Steven Williams, a fifth-grade teacher at Stevens Creek School in the San Francisco Bay area suburb of Cupertino, sued for discrimination on Monday, claiming he had been singled out for censorship by principal Patricia Vidmar because he is a Christian.<br /><br />"It's a fact of American history that our founders were religious men, and to hide this fact from young fifth-graders in the name of political correctness is outrageous and shameful," said Williams' attorney, Terry Thompson.<br /><br />"Williams wants to teach his students the true history of our country," he said. "There is nothing in the Establishment Clause (of the U.S. Constitution) that prohibits a teacher from showing students the Declaration of Independence."<br /><br />Vidmar could not be reached for comment on the lawsuit, which was filed on Monday in U.S. District Court in San Jose and claims violations of Williams rights to free speech under the First Amendment.<br /><br />Phyllis Vogel, assistant superintendent for Cupertino Unified School District, said the lawsuit had been forwarded to a staff attorney. She declined to comment further.<br /><br />Williams asserts in the lawsuit that since May he has been required to submit all of his lesson plans and supplemental handouts to Vidmar for approval, and that the principal will not permit him to use any that contain references to God or Christianity.<br /><br />Among the materials she has rejected, according to Williams, are excerpts from the Declaration of Independence, George Washington's journal, John Adams' diary, Samuel Adams' "The Rights of the Colonists" and William Penn's "The Frame of Government of Pennsylvania."<br /><br />"He hands out a lot of material and perhaps 5 to 10 percent refers to God and Christianity because that's what the founders wrote," said Thompson, a lawyer for the Alliance Defense Fund, which advocates for religious freedom. "The principal seems to be systematically censoring material that refers to Christianity and it is pure discrimination."<br /><br />In June, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear the case of a California atheist who wanted the words "under God" struck from the Pledge of Allegiance as recited by school children. The appeals court in California had found that the phrase amounted to a violation of church and state separation.

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Declaration of Independence banned from ELEMENTARY SCHOOL?!!?!?

As an expatriate Native Californian, I am still amazed at what goes on in the Golden State. And it seems to eminate from the coastal counties more than interior.<br /><br />I've been in Texas for 10 years and I am still amazed at how tolerant the people are. Not only towards Christians (with as many Baptist churches you find here, it can be expected), but with other faiths and creeds. It seems that being polits is the rule, and agenda the exception (except in our bastion of liberalism, Austin).<br /><br />I even heard "You know, in America it is still OK to bow our heads and pray at Thanksgiving" on a Disney owned radio station!. I doubt if it would be played in the land of PC.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wonder what "exerpts from the Declaration of Independence" were banned, and what interpretation your self-appointed missionary was going to put on them.<br /><br />I suspect that he was trying to teach religion in a public school. There is a place for evangelism and public school is not it.<br /><br />There is no mention of what you exaggerate as "Declaration of Independence banned from elementary school".<br /><br />I fired an instructor for Bible thumping in an electronics class and was immediately accused of banning the Bible and Christianity from the school. Got picketed, too.<br /><br />Been there, eeboater. Your whining has no merit.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I guess you are smarter than George Washington, JB. Here is what he had to say about God and life in these United States. It is his Thanksgiving Proclamation in 1789. I guess you thought that we celebrate Thanksgiving to thank the indians, hmmm?<br /><br />"Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor -- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me "to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness." <br /><br />Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be -- That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks -- for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation -- for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the tranquility [sic], union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed -- for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted -- for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.<br /><br />And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions -- to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually -- to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed -- to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn [sic] kindness onto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord -- To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease [sic] of science among them and us -- and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best." <br /><br />Given under my hand at the City of New York <br />the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789. <br /><br />George Washington<br /><br />This JB, is the foundation of this country. This is what has maintained it. And this is what will maintain it in the future unless people of your ilk succeed in erasing all public acknowledgement to the part that God plays in the success, past, present and future of this country.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

!!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

What exactly does George Washington's Thanksgiving proclamation have to do with the Declaration of Independance?.......<br /><br />Answer: Zip.. Zero.. Nada.. Nothing....

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Thanksgiving Proclamation has everything to do with the Declaration of Independance. The founders, framers or what ever you wish to call the people that set this country on it's path to greatness all understood that a society without GOD will falter and die. There may be different views or names for God, but the belief of a creator that teaches humility,self sacrifice,and accountability beyond this earth is what keeps people hard working and honest. This country was founded for the FREEDOM OF RELIGION, not the freedom From religion.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This one has me fired up ! If you look at where this country is today, compared to where it was a few generations ago, any intelligent person can see what the effect of "banning" religion has done to us. When kids were taught that pre-marital sex was wrong, and they would be "punished" for it, there were fewer teenage pregnancies. When people were taught that laziness or "sloth" was a sin, there was better productivity and fewer people on wellfare. When people were taught that "we are all God's creatures", there were fewer murders. Back when people believed that marriage was forever and divorce was a sin, children were actually raised by two parents. I could go on and on, but simply put, back in 1950, how many times did eighth grade KIDS bring a gun to school and SHOOT other kids, some of whom were pregnant girls ???

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I have an idea, let's pay that principal only with money that does not contain any kind of religious symbolism whatsoever or the phrase "In God We Trust". (How much is a ruble worth these days?) And for crying out loud, DON'T give her any paid religious holidays ... like Thanksgiving or Christmas. She is purely hypocritical if she accepts that kind of "tainted" money. :mad: <br /><br />JB has a point though. We don't know the whole story, just a blurb. Otherwise it's way too left, even for me. Cuz when it comes to politics, WillyB definately ain't "right".<br /><br />Did you know that it wasn't until Abe Lincoln before Thanksgiving was even declared a holiday? Happy Thanksgiving!

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, for the first time, I do not agree with JB ONE BIT. Our tax dollars are paying for cable tv in the classroom, and "music" classes are studying rap music. If our tax dollars are paying for "education" about cop killing,RAPE and "civil unrest" then it's time for our tax dollars to go for something productive like Respect, Religion and Civil Responsibility. If the word GOD happens to be part of that, then so be it.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

I suspect he was trying to teach FACTUAL history. <br /><br />Jeez JB, your contempt for Christanity is pathetic, transparent and ugly.

SoulWinner

Commander

Have to agree with Bigfun here. Who Moderates the Mods? <br /><br />Here is Georges Payer for salvation:<br /><br />GEORGE WASHINGTON’S PRAYER<br /><br />FOR SALVATION<br /><br />(Written at age 20)<br /><br />“Almighty God, and most merciful Father . . . since Thou are a God of pure eyes, and wilt be sanctified in all who draw near unto Thee, who dost not regard the sacrifice of fools, nor hear sinners who tread in Thy courts, pardon, I beseech Thee, my sins; remove them from Thy presence, as far as the east is from the west, and accept me for the merits of Thy Son, Jesus Christ; that when I come into Thy temple and compass Thine altar, my prayer may come before Thee as incense; and as Thou wouldst hear me calling upon Thee in my prayers and give me grace to hear Thee calling on me in Thy Word, that it may be wisdom, righteousness, reconciliation, and peace to the saving of my soul in the day of the Lord Jesus Christ.”

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Probably a simple case of "sue happy teacher has axe to grind with principal", or vice-versa....

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

George ROCKED Dude.........sorry SW's avatar got me a little excited. I do have to say it seems as if JB is a bit predjuduce against anything Christian...........

LadyFish

Admiral

So.....The Declaration of Independence is unconstitutional? It was written long before the Constitution and part of American history.<br /><br />California's Education Code does allow "references to religion or references to or the use of religious literature … when such references or uses do not constitute instruction in religious principles … and when such references or uses are incidental to or illustrative of matters properly included in the course of study."<br /><br />If this was a matter of teaching American History, references to God and/or Christianity should not be censored.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I was always proud to stand up and place my hand over my heart and say the pledge.<br /><br />Matter of fact, I still do every morning when I get home before I come in the house, I raise my flag on the pole and say it then.<br /><br />Also include a few words for all the fighting men and women that are giving me that right.<br /><br />It was what this country was/is all about.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

...and what interpretation your self-appointed missionary was going to put on them.<br />
JB, How totally disapointing it is to read a statement like that. Especially from you.<br /><br />Talk about putting a spin on things.<br /><br />Mark.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

You do not have to be a "christian" to believe in raising your kids right!<br /><br />It is MY responsibility to pass on any religion or religious morals to my kids not the school teachers.<br /><br />Like LF stated.<br />The mere mention of religion or God is not banned.<br />The teaching of religion is banned.<br /><br />We do not know the whole story.<br /><br />AK Chappy<br /><br />[EDIT] JB, I suspect I will also be lambasted for my beliefs as well.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I guess JB would also have not allowed Dwight D Eisenhower's prayer, beseeching the Almighty, for safety and success, pursuant to the D-Day landing?

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!<br />
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: <br /><br />I can't believe this!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF is going on with our country!!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />Butch A.