De-winterize VP 8.1 Gi-J help please

ChooChooSnakeMan

Seaman Apprentice
This week I plan to de-winterize my new to me 8.1 Gi-J. I had a shop winterize it right after I purchased it last fall and do all the fluid and filter changes. As far as I can tell I have two plastic drain plugs on each side of the engine. I think the top plug on each side is for the riser and the lower plug is for the block. I also have (4) four hoses to reconnect. There are (2) two large hoses that go where the water pump is and (1) one large hose that goes on the recirculating pump (my engine is open raw water cooled). Lastlly there is a smaller hose that I believe goes on the two stage fuel pump. Anyone who is familiar with the 8.1 Gi-J engine that could confirm all this will be greatly appreciated. Finally what should I use if anything as sealant on the plastic plug threads and I imagine that since they are plastic that hand tight is all that is required? Thanks in advance for your input.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
So did they winterize the block and manifolds by draining them and storing them dry? Most winterizations account for draining the engine and manifold and refilling with antifreeze solution. Are positive that you will need to reattach the plugs and hoses?

Bondo

Staff member
Finally what should I use if anything as sealant on the plastic plug threads and I imagine that since they are plastic that hand tight is all that is required?
Ayuh,..... Look 'em over very closely, 'n replace 'em if their showing cracks or other aging,.....
No sealant needed, just finger tight,....

ChooChooSnakeMan

Seaman Apprentice
So did they winterize the block and manifolds by draining them and storing them dry? Most winterizations account for draining the engine and manifold and refilling with antifreeze solution. Are positive that you will need to reattach the plugs and hoses?
I don't know if they added any anti-freeze. I don't see any signs they did. The plugs and hoses are disconnected and the service shop put a tag on my keys that the boat was winterized. Since this was a new to me used boat I decided for the first service to have it done by our local VP service provider. In addition to the winterize I had all the fluids and filters changed and had a new impeller and thermostate installed as insurance. The engine only has 96 hours since new but it is a 2011. I noticed in the VP manual for my engine that there is no mention of adding antifreeze. I plan to winterize it and change the fluids and filters myself going forward so to add antifreeze or not, that is the question when it comes time. I appreciate your input.

ChooChooSnakeMan

Seaman Apprentice
Ayuh,..... Look 'em over very closely, 'n replace 'em if their showing cracks or other aging,.....
No sealant needed, just finger tight,....
Good deal, I appreciate your input. One question, if they show signs of cracking do you think I should go back with plastic or some type of metal plug such as brass?

Bondo

Staff member
Good deal, I appreciate your input. One question, if they show signs of cracking do you think I should go back with plastic or some type of metal plug such as brass?
Ayuh,..... That choice is up to you,....
I built my own, outa 1/2"- 13 X 1/2" ssteel bolts, ssteel flat washers, 'n an o-ring as a seal,....
I believe one of the after-marketers makes copies of such, as that's where I got the idea,.....
'n no, I don't remember who,....

Btw,... They are 1/2" 13 thread, not pipe,....

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Ayuh,..... That choice is up to you,....
I built my own, outa 1/2"- 13 X 1/2" ssteel bolts, ssteel flat washers, 'n an o-ring as a seal,....
I believe one of the after-marketers makes copies of such, as that's where I got the idea,.....
'n no, I don't remember who,....

Btw,... They are 1/2" 13 thread, not pipe,....
Hardin Marine makes them

I just replace the plastic every 3-4 years. I would be worried the stainless will gall. Your way with common bolts and washers is great Idea

alldodge

Staff member
Used hardin marine for a bunch of years and never had a problem with any of them

Bondo

Staff member
I just replace the plastic every 3-4 years. I would be worried the stainless will gall. Your way with common bolts and washers is great Idea
Ayuh,..... A drop of prefect seal on the threads every few years cures that problem,....

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have the same brass plugs in mine for years, and yes I use OMC gasket sealer or Permatex Aviation, never had a problem with seizing up.