Damaged Hull -- Pictures

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Damaged Hull -- Pictures

Welcome along Greenbush! This is really a weekend project for me, I'm lucky if I can get 2 hours of work done on this boat a week. From time to time I go a little crazy and call into work or take a vacation day and drop my 14 month old son off at his grandmothers for a couple of hours and get some work done... (I did that today..lol!) However, I'm rounding the corner to fiberglass! By the way, you can't rush perfection!

Well as I said I took a vacation day at work today to get some work in! I was able to get the rest of the floor out in the front, and the STRINGERS ARE OUT! Now, I just have some trimming to do, along with sanding... a lot of sanding, remove the transom and cut out the area to fix the hole in the hull and we will be on the road to laying down some fiberglass!

2013-05-08_15-59-37_151.jpg 2013-05-08_15-59-49_815.jpg

Triton II

Commander

Hey Peter, I've been following out of interest since the beginning - from a quick fix of a damaged hull to a full resto! You appear to be enjoying the journey so I'll keep looking in every now and then. Good luck with the stringers and glass work...

TII

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for stopping by Triton and thank you for reminding me that this was supposed to be a "quick fix"... I'm still trying to figure out when I made this decision for the full restoration! LOL!

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the link TC! I must have watched every single one of FriscoBoater's videos on YouTube. I'm going to need to go back and watch them all again soon, because it's been so long. I'm looking forward to start putting this boat back together and stop taking it apart! I know the transom and the stringers are going to be a pain in the arse, but I'm up for the challenge!

Rebel01

Seaman Apprentice

Peter you have your work cut out for yourself. I'm tagging along to see this thing float again. 10 pages of thread and no glass work yet, that has to be some kind of record. I sure hope you are having fun learning as most of us did. That boat will be nice when you finish, enjoy the build.

Me too! Can't wait to see what happens...

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for all the new people following!

So, I was able to spend a couple of hours out on the boat today so I spent the day working on the walls of the hull. when I cut off the floor and the shelves there was a very small lip left going horizontal that I wanted to make sure that was cut off and smoothed out. So after trimming it back I sanded down everything so there is no edge what-so-ever. Also, I figured I waited long enough to cut into that tube that runs down the middle of the hull and expose the hole that started all of this! I also sanded the bottom of the boat where the hole is to kind of get a better idea of the contour of the hole. Please see the pictures... I have a question here so go take a look! 2013-05-18_16-20-02_704.jpg 2013-05-18_16-20-11_954.jpg 2013-05-18_16-20-41_499.jpg 2013-05-18_16-21-47_289.jpg

Now, my question is; when I get around to repairing this hole should I cut out the section where the hole is or should I just patch over the hole that already there? If you look at the picture that I took that is from the bottom of the hull, you can see where the gelcoat still is and how high the fiberglass has punctured. Also, which is hard to tell from the picture the hole is right on a flat section and it curves around to a concave section of the hull so trying to maintain the shape of the boat might be a little difficult if I were to cut it out. What do you think?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

You can grind down all around the hole on the inside first at least 3-6"...tapering away from the hole, kind of create a dish that ends in the bottom of the hole...then begin adding layers of CSM and/or 1708, each one gradually bigger, until it is level with the original inside of the hull...then you can do the same thing on the outside, except you won't need as many layers, then fair it out and recoat with either a gel or paint...
Here is a rough drawing of what the area should look like...

If you break through to the outside, just use a piece of wax paper held in place with some cardboard and duct tape on the outside skin, to keep it from dripping through...

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks GT! Maybe I shouldn't call my issue a hole but more a crack, well a couple of cracks that are all combined. Do you think I should cut out the weak section and then glass it or just leave it the way it is and glass right over it?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Basically the same repair for a crack as for a hole...grind away 2-3" all around...dish and fill...

tallcanadian

Captain

I think you will do alright with those cracks. She will be as good as new. Just to give you a heads up, I had trouble fitting the top of my boat on the hull. The transom was too thick. I used 2, 3/4" plywood bonded together. I had to cut back the thickness by a 1/2". Everything seems okay now and I have room for fiberglassing. But it was extra work that I was hoping I didn't have to do. Hopefully this will save you from doing what I did. :blue:

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys! TC, How did you get your old transom out? I will be working on getting the old one out hopefully this weekend coming up.

By the way, that new transom looks GREAT!

tallcanadian

Captain

I tore as much out by hand as I could then used a chisel and started tearing. It really wasn't too bad. I started on one side, and worked my way over. The more rotten it is the easier it is to remove it.

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So trying to get it all out in one piece probably is NOT going to be an option, correct? Also, what kind of ply wood did you use?

tallcanadian

Captain

So trying to get it all out in one piece probably is NOT going to be an option, correct? Also, what kind of ply wood did you use?

No sir. You will end with a pile of dark, wet wood, and a lot of splinter size stuff. Sorry for the bad news.

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm used to it by now TC, you rarely provide good news to me! lol! I wouldn't have it any other way!

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know I have not posted anything in the last month, however I have been diligently at work! I got the transom all out and sanded off all the extra resin and seams, along with cutting the new transom out... Have a look, I will be working on the stringers next... Still have a LOT of work before the glass but I have the order ready with the funds on reserve in the bank. It's all stating to come along now! Might I add that ply-wood is very expensive these days! See the nice hole under the transom!
2013-07-04_19-25-06_499.jpg 2013-07-04_19-25-50_357.jpg 2013-06-23_12-15-56_968.jpg

tallcanadian

Captain

Very nice job on the transom. Nice cut on the plywood. And that is one nasty hole there. But will be much easier to fix from the inside. I too have my transom done and ready to start my stringers. Very nice.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Do you have a plan in place for fixing the transom hole?