Damaged Hull -- Pictures

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Damaged Hull -- Pictures

THE CAP IS OFF!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Thank you, LAWD!

2013-04-21_16-30-18_568.jpg 2013-04-21_16-30-47_965.jpg 2013-04-21_16-31-15_518.jpg

tallcanadian

Captain

SEE!! Nuttin to it...:faint2::laugh:

The worst is done. It's all gravy from here. Well okay, some more hard work ahead but at least your wide open to work on her...

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The amount of resin that they put on the transom to hold the cap on is just unbelievable! After I mad the cuts I went through with a chisel and pounded out the rest! The front only took about 2.5 hours to get it to pop, however the back I have invested a good 15 hours in it. However, I got it off in one piece and now let the games begin! By the way, no dress for me the transom was soaked and plenty of rotted spots already and I haven't exposed the lower part of it yet!

tallcanadian

Captain

The amount of resin that they put on the transom to hold the cap on is just unbelievable! After I mad the cuts I went through with a chisel and pounded out the rest! The front only took about 2.5 hours to get it to pop, however the back I have invested a good 15 hours in it. However, I got it off in one piece and now let the games begin! By the way, no dress for me the transom was soaked and plenty of rotted spots already and I haven't exposed the lower part of it yet!

Ummm. But that was the bet. I said the transom was likely rotten, you said no. Hmmm. I think I was right, right? lol.

Trooper82

Commander

Congrats on the decap....looks like it was alot of fun :)

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now TC, if you make me go through the thread looking for where I made thread! lol!

Trooper, I'm not going to lie, the most fun about getting this cap off was hearing the pop when the resin gave out!

Honestly, I had fun (sometimes) I like the point that my father comes over to give me a hand with it. So half the time I spent, we had some good laughs and at least all of my swearing didn't fall useless and someone actually heard the way I felt about that cap! I honestly got to a point I though it was never going to come off!

Railcar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am just getting caught up on the thread, And I know where you are coming from, but I too took on a project, and it is taking time, but when I am done, it will be MY boat, plus the resto is a great time to fix those little things that you tolerated, but didnt like in the first place. WOG, JB, GT are great guys and they will get you moving in the right direction, I know they sure got my build on track.

Railcar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

as for the foam, if you can get by the hardware store and get a long handle ice scraper it makes real quick work of the foam, I got all mine out in a hour or so.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi Peter,
Just got caught up that you popped the cap!
A milestone indeed...good going!
Now the real fun can begin...;)
Regards,
GT1M

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea a milestone indeed... I'm looking forward to this weekend! I'm a little pissed that I had booked a poker tournament for Saturday like 2 weeks ago, because I would so rather be working on the boat... Oh well, maybe I'll just go all in on the first hand like the people online do! lol!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Boat resto funding thru poker.... Interesting.... I'm not sure THE Admiral would approve, of course she KNOWS I can't bluff :watermelon: :facepalm:

Capless, great! Have a good end of the week.

Keep your head in the game Sat. Get all the daydreaming of boat work outta your system before the 1st hand. Else, yes, it will likely be a very short game.....

All in 1st hand? Who are you: Phil 'I'm kind of a whack job' Hellmuth?
phil-hellmuth-interview-professional-poker-player-thumb.jpg

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, I took off all the hardware from the transom last night to give me a little food for thought... lol! After taking nuts off of 5" bolts a 1/4 turn at a time and repeating this 12 times, an hour and a half later I said, "I think I'm ready for some poker!" lol!

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Note to self: When sanding fiberglass wear long sleeves... ouch.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Note to self: When sanding fiberglass wear long sleeves... ouch.

Not sure if we missed the part about having proper PPE and a good baby powder dousing before donning of said PPE...?:confused:

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

w2013-05-04_15-22-58_79.jpg 2013-05-04_15-23-47_829.jpg
So, I got most the floor up, all but a small piece up front. All the foam is out and I started working on removing the back portion of the stringers this weekend, which were really all mush in between 2 pieces of fiberglass. The entire rear section of the boat is just rotted out. I'm a little disappointed because I wanted to use the stringers as a template for the new ones, however I'm going to be on my own for about 5+ feet of it, due to the rot. So, this weekend I'm going to cut out the small piece of floor I left in on the front of the boat and try to take the stringers out. Should I be doing anything thing to keep the walls from moving? I have a ratchet strap on it right now, but just one almost where the seats would be (in the middle) holding it at the distance of the cap. I was wondering if it's not properly supported when I'm taking the rest of the stringers out will I have an issue later in life getting the cap back on? Any tips?

tallcanadian

Captain

wView attachment 192936 View attachment 192937
So, I got most the floor up, all but a small piece up front. All the foam is out and I started working on removing the back portion of the stringers this weekend, which were really all mush in between 2 pieces of fiberglass. The entire rear section of the boat is just rotted out. I'm a little disappointed because I wanted to use the stringers as a template for the new ones, however I'm going to be on my own for about 5+ feet of it, due to the rot. So, this weekend I'm going to cut out the small piece of floor I left in on the front of the boat and try to take the stringers out. Should I be doing anything thing to keep the walls from moving? I have a ratchet strap on it right now, but just one almost where the seats would be (in the middle) holding it at the distance of the cap. I was wondering if it's not properly supported when I'm taking the rest of the stringers out will I have an issue later in life getting the cap back on? Any tips?

All I used on my builds were ratchet straps as well. I think you will be okay. I'm sure all that rot wasnt supporting much anyway. I put my cap back on in the fall before I stored it. It went on quite even. I'm very pleased with that. I think what your doing is okay. Take your time with the stringers. I was lucky enough to get one out in full, soggy, but full. Only thing is the factory used strapping going the opposite way. I won't. But I will have to measure the difference and add that to the new stringers.

Great job so far.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

as for the foam, if you can get by the hardware store and get a long handle ice scraper it makes real quick work of the foam, I got all mine out in a hour or so.

A regular old round point shovel worked great for me! I was able to take it out in large sections.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would recommend that you use a flat 1x4 to lay across the existing stingers and mark the sides of the hull now so you will have a reference mark for the stringer height. It really helps since you won't have any templates going back. Also hopefully you have taken a lot of measurements when the cap was on so you know what the top of the hull should be for the cap to fit so before you glue the deck down you can ensure the hull measures out correctly.

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, I took some measurements of the hull with the cap on and I have also taken some with it off. I have the ratchet strap holding it in place but I didn't know if 1 ratchet strap was going to be sufficient. As for the 1x4 for marking, I don't know how that is going to work, I'm going to be putting down a new layer of fiberglass throughout the inside of the boat so any marks that I make are not going to be visible on top of that I have to sand the entire inside of the hull. With this boat it's pretty easy The floor's top comes up about 3/4" from the tri-hull's sides from the floor, most parts of it, it was just elevated off the fiberglass hull about a 1/4" so add the 1/2" plywood to the 1/4" gap and boom! You have a 3/4"... well about, lol!

TC, I'm not going to lie I'm a little nervous about the stringers now. There was NO way to save these... if you touched it, they crumbled into a mushy, soggy, mud... lol! I have the length at 120" so the back 4' - 5' should be a hot mess trying to figure out how to get them in there.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Peter you have your work cut out for yourself. I'm tagging along to see this thing float again. 10 pages of thread and no glass work yet, that has to be some kind of record. I sure hope you are having fun learning as most of us did. That boat will be nice when you finish, enjoy the build.