Custom Fiberglass Extended Swim Platform

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Have you thought about trying this? Could make the same thing as flex mold and it would match existing non skid on your boat

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, I watched that guy today. My challenge is getting about 32 sq. ft. of non-skid pattern. It's pretty straight forward if you need a couple of sq. ft. for a repair, it seems.

tpenfield

Staff member
Progress Update:

I got the foam 'plug' roughed out. I used 2" thick EPS sheets, glued together with PL adhesive.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1463.JPG Views:	1 Size:	199.7 KB ID:	10652436

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1464.JPG Views:	1 Size:	192.2 KB ID:	10652438

Next steps are to . . .

Fill a few voids

Fillet inside corners

Sand to shape

Coat with epoxy

Apply non-skid material - still trying to figure out the best (and economical) thing to use

Final epoxy coating

Prep for mold making

Attachments

• IMG_1464.JPG
    IMG_1464.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Looking good

you can use the low expansion foam spray for filling voids. you can also use spackle.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
what is the support going to look like for this , that's quite the cantilever, remember to do calculations with adding the force that could be exerted at furthest point away from fasteners kinda like a breaker bar on a bolt

tpenfield

Staff member
There will be 3 stainless steel tubes that go from the outer edge of the platform (underneath) down to the transom, similar to most extended platform installations.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Looking really good.., Drywall mud works really well as well for filling voids...

tpenfield

Staff member
Looking really good.., Drywall mud works really well as well for filling voids...

Good idea. I think Scott also mentioned using spackle/joint compound. I am thinking maybe I could use it to shape the inside corners as well as fill voids, etc.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yep.. I was talking with a really good fiberglass guy and he helped me along with my mold I was making for my dash. Used the blue foam for rough shapes, applied drywall mud in thin layers to build up and sand to final shape.... Works good.. Just don't put it on too thick or it will take a long time to dry and will also crack.

Like this project your doing. following along for sure!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Plaster of Paris would be my choice. It's designed for molding and doesn't crack to bad.
Modeling Clay also works well.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If you use joint compound /drywall mud use the 20 minute stuff to get it close then skim with reg to sand

tpenfield

Staff member
Finished the rough shaping today . . . .

IMG_1471.JPG

IMG_1472.JPG

I will be filling a few voids and then doing some final shaping.

Attachments

• IMG_1470.JPG
    IMG_1470.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Couple passes of fiberglass tape and spackle and you can coat with eeeeeeeepoxy

CarTuner

Seaman Apprentice
If you haven't bought the epoxy yet, lookup EBond Epoxy in South Florida. Extremely reasonable pricing and nice quality stuff. I just got 2 gallons of their 1285 Laminating Resin and 1 gallon of hardener (2:1 ratio) for $82 + tax. That's $27/gallon of material (cheaper then polyester!).

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If you haven't bought the epoxy yet, lookup EBond Epoxy in South Florida. Extremely reasonable pricing and nice quality stuff. I just got 2 gallons of their 1285 Laminating Resin and 1 gallon of hardener (2:1 ratio) for $82 + tax. That's $27/gallon of material (cheaper then polyester!).

FGCI has boat resin for about $25/gal

tpenfield

Staff member
Progress Update:

It has been a few weeks (maybe more) since I have updated my thread. I have been working on & off (mostly off) on the swim platform 'plug'. I am using joint compound to fill in gaps and smooth out the surfaces.

Here are a few pictures:

IMG_1612.JPG .
Next steps are to do a final coating of compound and then sand. Epoxy will be after than, and more sanding.

Attachments

• IMG_1609.JPG
    IMG_1609.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1607.JPG
    IMG_1607.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 2

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you have any CSM scraps you can shred it and add the fibers to the compound to help avoid cracking. Drilling some 1/4" holes in the foam will allow the compound to get a better bite and cut down on flexing/cracking.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Regarding the idea of observation hatches raised by another - maybe have vented cover to relieve pressure that will build up and be noisy when not underway? The platform on my boat is similar to your existing platform, and it gets noisy. I like your extension, makes me think...