Cover your boat... Do you or don't you?

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Cover your boat... Do you or don't you?

Wow!!! A lot of replies on the subject, I certainly did not expect so. A lot of passion from most folks about covering their boat.

I personally don't think I will be doing much covering this summer unless I know that I won't use the boat for a few weeks, if I even think that there is a chance that it will get used the next week it very likely will not get covered.

I know that this is the less popular way of thinking, and in the long run I MAY regret it, but like I said I just don't see the reasoning for only covering it 2-3 days of the week, which is all that I would realistically be able to do if I uncover on Friday for prep, use Sat., clean and wash Sun., wait for Monday for it to dry fully and maybe by the time I get to covering it it will have rained (mostly guaranteed in S. Florida) and then have to wait for Tuesday etc.

I promised myself when I bought my boat 4 years ago that I would not become obssessed with perfection as far as the boat is concerned because IMO that would probably take a little bit of the fun away.

I take care of my boat as best as I can, and I pour plenty of $$ into it, but sadly in some people's minds, I will not obssess about how my upholstery will look 5 years down the line. With all due respect to everyone who expressed their concerns otherwise.

I fully understand that I may be helping drive down the value of my boat in the future but also realize that the true value of the boat cannot be measured in dollars spent. If my not covering the boat in the summer is going to get me a few $$ less five years down the line I feel confident enough to say that I can live with it.

BTW- I think the truly most important thing to cover is the cockpit area (radio, gauges, gps, steering, controls, switches etc) and I do have a custom cover made of Sumbrella fabric that goes on at all times as it takes only 30 seconds to put in place and button up.

sierra 18

Cadet

I cover after use not only to keep the rain out of it, but as if not more importantly, to prevent the sun from tearing the vinyl and plastics apart. I generally do not, however, cover the boat while I trailer it.

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

if im not floatin in her, shes floatin like this

0508001748.jpg

or like this

boat009-1.jpg

smatsinger

Seaman Apprentice

Does this count! :p

I do put a full cover on it during the winter.

Attachments

• Boat Cover.jpg
    Boat Cover.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 0

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I promised myself when I bought my boat 4 years ago that I would not become obssessed with perfection as far as the boat is concerned because IMO that would probably take a little bit of the fun away.

I dont know what kind of boat you have, but wouldn't it take more fun away if you had to replace the floor/seats/ect.?

I bought a cover that is elastic at the base, It takes no more than 2 minutes to remove and 10 to put back on.

Kracken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does this count! :p

I do put a full cover on it during the winter.

Ok that is my dream right there. Unfortunately the wife does not share this dream with me.

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

My boat that goes in my garage does not get cover. My boat that is stored out side is always covered. My nick of wood gets to 110 degree in the summer time. If rain does not ruined the floor, sun will definitely rot the seat in less then 3 years.

B

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok that is my dream right there. Unfortunately the wife does not share this dream with me.

Haha, I told my girl I was going to build a big pole barn for us to live in. She wasn't havin it. I could walk from the living room to my truck already hooked up to the boat and drive off.

I just bought my boat and I haven't covered it yet but it's garaged. In the winter it will be in heated storage but still covered. I don't cover when I trailer but I really don't drive far. On my 5hour trip up north I will be covering however.

When I bought the boat the carpet was in and I trailered home w/o covering. I think I made a mistake as the snap-ons broke away from the carpet. Would a tarp have prevented this while trailering or does it still get a nice wind with the tarp on?

notaz3

Seaman Apprentice

I put mine in the garage. That was one of my main concerns when we bought, would it fit. If I'm going to spend that much for a toy then I want it to last.

My boat stays protected and free from prying eyes.

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont know what kind of boat you have, but wouldn't it take more fun away if you had to replace the floor/seats/ect.?

I bought a cover that is elastic at the base, It takes no more than 2 minutes to remove and 10 to put back on.

It's a 26' deck boat. I have a cover that is not too much fun to put on or take off. I replaced the upsholstery last year, ALL OF IT, I did some myself and sent the more elaborate parts to a shop to get done. I do not obsess with it all. I think that is where I am different than most of the people who have responded to this thread.

To answer your question about taking the fun away, when I really think about it, it just means I have to dedicate a full weekend in a few years redoing the interior again if necessary and sending a few pieces out to get done. I don't mean to be an ***, but I just don't obsess over it, and trust me, few here have as much upholstery as I do owning the 26 footer deck boat with seating capacity for 16.:redface:

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

There is another consideration.....water logging the flotation foam and rotting any piece of wood that it contacts...ask me how I know...lol

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Wow!!! A lot of replies on the subject, I certainly did not expect so. A lot of passion from most folks about covering their boat.

I personally don't think I will be doing much covering this summer unless I know that I won't use the boat for a few weeks, if I even think that there is a chance that it will get used the next week it very likely will not get covered.

I know that this is the less popular way of thinking, and in the long run I MAY regret it, but like I said I just don't see the reasoning for only covering it 2-3 days of the week, which is all that I would realistically be able to do if I uncover on Friday for prep, use Sat., clean and wash Sun., wait for Monday for it to dry fully and maybe by the time I get to covering it it will have rained (mostly guaranteed in S. Florida) and then have to wait for Tuesday etc.

I take care of my boat as best as I can, and I pour plenty of $$ into it, but sadly in some people's minds, I will not obssess about how my upholstery will look 5 years down the line. With all due respect to everyone who expressed their concerns otherwise.

I fully understand that I may be helping drive down the value of my boat in the future but also realize that the true value of the boat cannot be measured in dollars spent. If my not covering the boat in the summer is going to get me a few $$ less five years down the line I feel confident enough to say that I can live with it.

Boats that get coverd ALL the time last 25 years. MOST of the time 15 years. Never 5 years. (Don't hold me to these exact numbers....LOL) Every day uncovered is one day closer to crap. It's your money and your option. Nobody is telling you what YOU should do, just what WE do. Obsessed is a funny term. I like frugal better. I have better things to spend my money on rather than new upholstery.

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since I've gotten pretty good at backing it up, it's in the garage if I'm not out on it. When I go on vacation the end of the month it will be on the water the whole time and covered every night. Actually the place I rented has a lift so it will be above the water covered.

The interior is in perfect condition cause the guy who owned it before me kept it inside and covered. I find myself not covering it in the garage though. I think he kept it in storage though.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Since I've gotten pretty good at backing it up, it's in the garage if I'm not out on it. When I go on vacation the end of the month it will be on the water the whole time and covered every night. Actually the place I rented has a lift so it will be above the water covered.

The interior is in perfect condition cause the guy who owned it before me kept it inside and covered. I find myself not covering it in the garage though. I think he kept it in storage though.

cover it even if it is kept indoors...the cover will keep most of the dust off of it...allow it to breathe as well

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boats that get coverd ALL the time last 25 years. MOST of the time 15 years. Never 5 years. (Don't hold me to these exact numbers....LOL) Every day uncovered is one day closer to crap. It's your money and your option. Nobody is telling you what YOU should do, just what WE do. Obsessed is a funny term. I like frugal better. I have better things to spend my money on rather than new upholstery.

Point well taken although the frugal annointment is probably something you'd rather use for yourself. From some of the threads and posts on some of the other subjects I have concluded that ( and it makes no difference whatsoever to me) that a large percentage of the boaters on this site are borderline obsessed with their boats. With all due respect to anyone reading this, I could care less, it is just the picture one paints by logging on and reading this site everyday.

In my case, I am not like that, but respect when people are as long as it doesn't affect me. LOL.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Point well taken although the frugal annointment is probably something you'd rather use for yourself. From some of the threads and posts on some of the other subjects I have concluded that ( and it makes no difference whatsoever to me) that a large percentage of the boaters on this site are borderline obsessed with their boats. With all due respect to anyone reading this, I could care less, it is just the picture one paints by logging on and reading this site everyday.

In my case, I am not like that, but respect when people are as long as it doesn't affect me. LOL.

sounds like we will be laughing at the Craigs List ad for your boat once you have torn it up.....

a boat is a terrible thing to waste

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Old whaler. No upholstery. Covered only when the leaves fall. Nose up, gutter screens to prevent drains from clogging. Original everything. 50 years old next year.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I keep mine covered when I am not using it for more than a week at a time. Other than that, I keep the cover off and let it dry out good inside. I dont like having it turn into a sauna under the cover. The upholstery isnt in good shape anyways, so it wont make a lick of difference for now. Once the upholstery is redone, then things will get a bit more diligent with covering.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last winter I picked up a 1987 Sylvan 21' that had been a camp boat - don't think it ever saw a cover. ALL of the upholstery was toast and the floor was rotten from end to end so I got it really cheap, basically for the value of the engine.

I have replaced the floor and some of the seats and now the only time the boat is uncovered is when I am out in it. It has the camper top when I am away from the boat for a short time and a mooring cover during the week. Strangely, although the mooring cover is waterproof, the boat does dry out under the mooring cover.

To each their own but I prefer to protect my investment.

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

cover it even if it is kept indoors...the cover will keep most of the dust off of it...allow it to breathe as well

It was covered in the garage all winter, but when I'm going out once or twice a week I haven't been covering it in the garage. Just don't see the point. It will covered when towing to Michigan though.