19' Bayliner 1984 Capri / Volvo Penta Motor

trucku

Cadet
Hi,

I am still a big newb.
I was looking at a 19' Bayliner 1984 Capri / Volvo Penta Motor.

I spoke to the owner and it turns out the boat was left there for over 3 years in his yard. IT was working when it was left, but the owners no longer want it and another boat they left.

He says the floors are still solid, because the boat was partially covered. The hull is supposedly very good shape with just barnacles on it. How long would it need to be sitting to accumulate barnicles?

I am thinking about heading out to look at the boat.
My question is what should I look for in a boat that has been sitting. I would love for it to be ready to float, but am scared of all the things that can be wrong.
What are my risks? Is the Volvo engine expensive to work on or get parts for?
I will attach some pics maybe you could spot something I don't see.

I will search through the forum on the interm.

Thanks in advance
Vishant
72577982_o.jpg

72578012_o.jpg

72577966_o.jpg

72577959_o.jpg

72578022_o.jpg

trucku

Cadet
Re: 19' Bayliner 1984 Capri / Volvo Penta Motor

Am I looking at leaks, a crummy engine, bad design and keep away.

Sorry I have been reading, but don't know much about a I/O motor and drive system. I would of course change the oil, plugs, wires and whatever else the engine needs. A basic start would be great.

Should I just run far away from this situation...lol

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

sure it can be resurrected. cant speak to the power plant but would think you want to lug a battery and see if it turns over. what is the ol' farmer asking for this project boat?

trucku

Cadet

He stuck her on Ebay.

He said he was willing to just get rid of it for nothing. I offered him few bucks to come get it this weekend. He never got back to me..so..LOL. I guess he wants the money more than he led on too.

Another thing was that he has no registration for the boat or trailer. He has been trying to find the owner. I wonder what the NY laws are on owning a boat with no reg? I read someplace here you can claim it as abandoned and have it inspected by police to make sure its not stolen.
Great idea about the battery. I would not have thought of it.

I just was hoping to find a deal. I have little to no budget and figured maybe I could get lucky....LOL.

I am pretty mechanically inclined and would get all the manuals for the boat and engine and do the work myself.

Another line to the sellers story was that he had to have them out by Wednesday next week or he gets major tickets form the fire dept. His sale ends Tuesday midday, so he might end up with more violations if someone buys it and does not take it out of his lot.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... free is a great starting price. it will only soar from there. but if you did get it for that, the parts alone would get you some pretty good coin. the complete swim platform alone could get you 75-100 bucks. as for registration/title I think you are on the right track...

good luck

trucku

Cadet
Heat Exchanger ??: 19' Bayliner 1984 Capri / Volvo Penta Motor

Heat Exchanger ??: 19' Bayliner 1984 Capri / Volvo Penta Motor

Does anyone know if the stock setup on this boat (19' Bayliner 1984 Capri / Volvo Penta Motor) had a heat exchanger or was directly water cooled?

I am wondering what wonders may lay deep within the engine if this thing sat in with salt everywhere for years.

trucku

Cadet

So this engine may be ok still.

floater3

Cadet

Hi,
I'm a newbie too,
I have the same model/year boat. Call Bayliner for a FREE owners manual. If the motor is a v-8 like mine-it is a small block chevy or ford. Mine is a 5.0l chevy without the optional cooling system you spoke of. I LOVE boat. Its my second one, but the first one I actually got into the water. Also came with 4-cyl motor. I don't know about v-6. Probably needs work but if it floats-its a start.

hgmatt

Seaman

I just bought a 89 Bayliner 1700 Capri, so here is some advice to purchasing. Remember that since this boat is fiberglass, anything can be repaired, it just depends on how much work & money you want to put into it. First thing I would do is to read through the Boat Building and Restoration Forum, as there is priceless information on repairing boats and what to look for in diagnosing the problem. Also, check the Volvo Penta Forum, and whatever engine the boat has Forum, as they will be a valuable resource as well. Second thing, go look at the boat, never buying any boat without inspecting it first. Make sure that the deck (floor) is really solid, make sure that the transom doesn't sound hollow, and that the engine runs. None of these problems are a big deal, but it will really help to get an idea of how much work needs to be done to get it ready for the water. Personally, I wouldn't buy a boat unless I see the engine running and see it in the water.

There is a lot of gripe on these forums about how bad Bayliners are. I found this site after I purchased my boat, and for a while I was regretting my decision. However, I just started to redo my floor/deck, and I've been suprised, how well the boat has held up. Mine was left outside without cover for two to three years, and the previous owner "replaced" the deck. My stringers (floor joist) were about 30%-40% rotten, the cross bracing was completely rotten, there was water surrounding the gas tank (and a leaf and acorn in the gas tank that were causing me a headache), rear seats were rotten & their stands were begining to rot. The consoles have begun to sag, and the front bow seats had rotten. If you look on these forums, you will see a whole bunch of glastrons, sea rays, etc, that have the same problems or even worse problems. Its all about how well the previous owners took care of the boat.

Bayliner's are entry level boats, so remember that often times the previous owners are entry level owners (like you and I, I think). Often these owners would take care of the boat in the same fashion, poorly. To get an idea of how to repair and get an idea of what work is involved, go to 'shareaproject.com' and you should be able to find projects were other owners have repaired their boats.

Lastly, if you can get the boat for free or even up to $500, it might be a good deal. If there are any major problems, realize that it will be costly to have them repaired. If you do it yourself, its not as costly. Worst Case Scenario: Engine Rebuild - $500 min, Floor Replacement - $500 min, Interior Upholstery - $500 yourself, $1500 Upholstery Shop, Painting - $500 min, Transom Replacement - $500 min. All of these things would be do it yourself; so, expect to invest $3000 min to get the boat water ready. Also, do your research on registration laws of NY, don't do any work on the boat until it is registered in your name. I'm lucky, because Georgia doesn't require boats or trailers to be titled, so all we need is a legal bill of sale to register. Make sure that the bill of sale includes the VIN # of the trailer, HIN# of the boat and serial # of the motor, this will save you lots of time and effort in registering. Sorry for the long post, I'm pretty long winded.

hgmatt

Seaman

Now, I see that the sale has already happened, I hope you won the boat, and I hope it works out for you. Again sorry for the long post.

trucku

Cadet

HGMATT, Thanks for the wealth of information.
I will go ahead and educate myself first.

No I didn't purchase it.

I had asked the seller some questions and a picture of the engine bay and he said "oh yeah the floor is good, etc". I just felt that he may have been keeping shots of the inside unavailable for reasons. When I asked about it being covered he said it was "partially" whatever that means. I asked lots of questions but he claimed he didn't know. He also did not have papers for it,just DMV forms for when you don't have papers. I didn't want a small thing like not being able to register it make me waste money for no reason. Then I am stuck with a boat I can't use, or transport.

Your right I should look at the boat in person instead of trusting pictures.

Currently I am looking at THIS
Don't pay attention to the price, its not that high.

Seller claims only a dead engine, good outdrive and everything else is just dirty. I will go look at it tomorrow. I doesn't have bow seats though.
IYO do you think bow seats are better if you want room for fishing?
Thats my intention for a boat really.

LOL Your right the best boat to buy is one in the water that you can drive!
wish i had the cash for that.

Now i have to look up Mercruiser engines and see what they are equivalent too, so i can get a junkyard special.

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

Just expect a boat from the 80's to need a lot of work

I bought a used WEBBCRAFT 10 years ago that was "a little dirty" and it needed a ton of work. It ran fine and I rebuilt the entire interior and even changed the color and made the boat look a lot newer. Even when I was done it still had moeny pit problems. I sold it to get married.

Im now divorced and I just bought a BRAND NEW BAYLINER. Boats are a lot of fun but have headachs too and when your getting into some of what your looking at I can see future headachs. Thats why I went with a BRAND NEW boat this time around. BUT Yes if somone took good care of an older boat it should be ready to go in the water. I take major good care of my cars and boats and any toy I plan on gettting a lot of use out of. You have too, this stuff is too expensive to just let get messed up. My friend says Im being too anal cause I like to keep my New boat clean when we go fishing. Im like Yea well you spend 23K and tell me you wont be anal.....Sorry a bit off topic but basicly make sure you look at every inch of an older boat because there can be and will be hidden probelems that will show up when you dont want them too!

trucku

Cadet

Thanks for the tip.

I hear ya.

I am a bit nervous, becuase its not a car and I can handle that easily. :(
I don't mind buying a boat that is dirty and been sitting, as long as it was neglected and been getting soaked by rain for years.

I take care of my rigs too. My buddy can't understand why I need to know my oil pressure in my explorer, or why I run bypass filtration and supplemental filters. I figure If the vehicle is treated right it will last long. I am one who believes in preventive maintenance and not wait till something goes "clunk".

Anything in particular you suggest I look out for?

hgmatt

Seaman

Things that I would look for are checking the floor all over the boat. Try and step everywhere on the floor, as if there are any weakspots, the assumption is that you need to replace the entire floor. Next, I would grab a hold of the outdrive and shake it pretty good. The outdrive shouldn't move at all and the transom (rear wall) shouldn't flex at all. I/O are notorious for rotten transoms because the boot that seals the transom from the outdrive wear out and begin to leak. Once water gets in the transom, it usually needs to be replaced. Another test for the transom, take a small hammer with you, and tap all around the transom, listening for hollow spots. If hear these spots, transom needs to be replaced. The best test would be to drill a small hole from the inside, but the owner isn't going to let you do that.

If the engine is dead, pull it and rebuild it, marine engines aren't much different from auto engines. Biggest difference is that they don't have a transmission and operate constantly at higher RPMs. You might take a spare battery with you to try and start the motor, if you can get the starter & engine to at least turn, I would think your in a pretty good spot. You might want to start a thread on the General Boat Topics Forum, as there would be alot of great advice available.

trucku

Cadet

Thanks once again HGMATT.

Will do.

The motor won't turn according to owner. They either seized it or I don't know what. It was described as frozen or rusted???? They also insisted thats the only issue. I will do my best to find any issues.

Thanks
again

I will go ahead and put a new thread in the General Boat Topics Forum ,after I post my findings after seeing the boat today.

penst8grad

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought an '85 Sea Ray a few months ago. I looked at many boats and here's my experience:

With a boat that old, plan on replacing the floors. You may get lucky and find one that has good floors. However carpet, water, and age seem to be a bad combination.

Transoms seem to often accompany bad floors. I checked mine and it was good. Also with floors often you will have rotten stringers, that I did have.

Lastly, if it doesn't run I'd walk away. Too many variables and you want to enjoy your first boat, not watch it in the driveway/garage/other. Too often things weren't stored properly and the engine has a cracked block/head.

Take whatever you are planning to budget for repairs and double it. Boats aren't a necessity and so the owners tend to have "discressionary" income. Parts suppliers know that so EVERYTHING is expensive.