1950 scot atwater

Rob Wilkins

Seaman Apprentice
I just scored a 1950 Scott Atwater 7.5hp in great running condition with all the books for $56.00.
I cant believe this wouldnt be a great deal, but you never know. Does anyone have any feedback on this motor type. Is it reliable enough to use or should I put it back on the market and hope for the best.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1950 scot atwater

That should be a 503.These are ok motors progressive for the time and the company size but parts are scarce as hens teeth.Langs outboards may have parts. also aomci.org,or the scott guy may be able to help.I wouldn't consider it a every day motor but fun to collect.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

We had a gold/green Scott 10 hp when I was a kid. Was somewhere around your year or a couple later. Had bail-a-matic which was cool as the rental boats we used always had water in them.....usually from spray coming onboard.

Was a good reliable engine till I ran over a submerged piling from an old railroad bridge at WOT and severed the midsection.

Man that was a very long time ago. Can't believe you found one in great shape. Think I agree on the collector idea.

Mark

F_R

Supreme Mariner

scott-atwater.com/History.htm

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

scott-atwater.com/History.htm

F_R, just a curiousity note after visiting the site and reading the history:

Our 10hp had the gold top, green bottom split sheet metal cowling. But it also had the bail-a-matic.

According to the history, that couldn't be as one happened in '53 only, and the other came out in the '54 production year......but it was real; we certainly had that engine.

So I suppose there was some production overlap between the years and what dad bought was a fluke.

Thanks for the info.;

Mark

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Texas, I think you are reading it wrong. The '53 had a green lower unit, not hood, which was gold. And the '53 hood split vertically not horizontally as the '54 did. There was a polished band up over the top where the two sides of the hood met.

Your Bail-a-Matic was normal.

Attachments

• scott atwater.gif
    scott atwater.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ScottAtwater.jpg
    ScottAtwater.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually, neither my previous post nor the History are 100% correct. The Bail-a-Matic had 4 kinds of tops. An integral tank on the 3.6, the horizontal seam on the 5 thru 10, a fiberglass top on the 16, and the vertical seam on the 33

Attachments

• Scott Atwater Lineup.jpg
    Scott Atwater Lineup.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hiya Rob,

My Dad bought one of those new back in the late 40's.... I've since determined that his was a Model 473. 7.5HP Deluxe Twin.

His had no bail-o-matic or gearshift...that came later. No external tank either...it was integral.

His had side cowl covers that were held on by two screws each...were a pain and a half to align the halves and get them bolted up... :) I remember that!

I also remember that his motor would run the pants off of a friends Evinrude 7.5 of the same era.....the Scott was quite powerful.

I also remember that the carburetor had a little pin that stuck out of the top cover...connected to the float..... Dad had fashioned a tool out of a bent tea-spoon handle that he could work through the slot that the throttle lever slid through. The tool could push against that pin on the carb...."tickling" it a bit to stop occassional flooding.....

I remember that the re-coil starter needed shimming once in a while to prevent scraping on the flywheel once the engine was running....a bit of a nuisance...

Overall it was a very good running engine...and it would be about as old as me now (I was born in '49...) Once in a while it was hard to start....and I learned a few new words from Dad on those ocassions...

Wish I still had it. I remember Dad selling it to a couple of young guys in the mid-sixties.... I wonder where it is now.

Good luck with yours...Post a picture of if; will you?

Chuck