Counter Rotating vs Non-Counter Rotating Twins

FreeBeeTony

Captain
How much difference in performance could I expect from the subject?
I currently have counter rotating twin outboards and have somewhat "mastered" backing into my slip.
If I was to replace them w/ a pair non-counter rotating twins, how much different would the handling be?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
How much difference in performance could I expect from the subject?
I currently have counter rotating twin outboards and have somewhat "mastered" backing into my slip.
If I was to replace them w/ a pair non-counter rotating twins, how much different would the handling be?
Depends on the hull and past experience.

Counters zero out prop torque. Stops the roll, reduces steering effort and makes it easy to move bow left and right. Makes a big difference in a hull with a lot of deadrise.

One of those things “if you didn’t know any better”. Not a compromise I would make.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Depends on the hull and past experience.

Counters zero out prop torque. Stops the roll, reduces steering effort and makes it easy to move bow left and right. Makes a big difference in a hull with a lot of deadrise.

One of those things “if you didn’t know any better”. Not a compromise I would make.
My boat is in my signature: '95 Grady White Islander.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you are really trying to talk yourself into twin single props arent you?

FreeBeeTony

Captain
no, I never operated a boat with twin engine non counter rotating props. not sure how drastic a difference it would be and was wondering if trim tabs would negate the issue

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
trim tabs will not help when docking

you will loose fine control when docking, however it would be manageable

think of it this way, single props are like running summer tires on snow covered ice.

duo props are like running studded snow tires

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Why are you talking about " single props " verses " duo props " on this topic?-----I had no trouble running twin engines ( right hand rotation ) and have never had a counter rotating set-up.----And I would not want one either !!