Cooling/water flow on Yamaha 1988 WR500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squizz

Cadet
Hello guys,
I have been trolling the web and have looked at few manuals trying find out how water enter and exits the engine as I suspect over heating.

I removed the ride plate and found a split hose that runs to the Top of the engine. Is this the in or out line?

The ride plate had two hoses clamped to a fitting on the plate. A thicker hose going to the Impeller and the split thin hose to the top of the motor as just mentioned.

Is this split hose the supply to the motor? I have attached a picture of the ride plate as they slightly differ.

thanks
Squizz

http://jetskibits.openstores.com.au/UserFiles/ProductImage/dsc02079(1).jpg

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Cooling/water flow on Yamaha 1988 WR500

totally lost me _ your jet pump supplies water to the engine and the exhaust not the ride plate.

Squizz

Cadet

totally lost me _ your jet pump supplies water to the engine and the exhaust not the ride plate.

hmmm, Ok? it maybe the pickup? And I said it goes to the engine? Venturi effect?Bernoulli's principle?

If anyone has knowledge of jetski could please help me as the manuals are hopeless. A water flow diagram or flow chart would be good.

thanks
Dave

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

water is forced through a fitting on the pump to the engine etc otherwise the water would not cool the engine and exhaust if you were idling. so I really do not know what this hose is unless it is a siphon for the bilge. newer skies use siphon tubes in the pump to draw hull water out .
it may also be the water exit from the engine but it is certainly not there to supply water for cooling look in the back of the ski for a fitting with a hose someplace close to where the pump mounts.

Squizz

Cadet

water is forced through a fitting on the pump to the engine etc otherwise the water would not cool the engine and exhaust if you were idling. so I really do not know what this hose is unless it is a siphon for the bilge. newer skies use siphon tubes in the pump to draw hull water out .
it may also be the water exit from the engine but it is certainly not there to supply water for cooling look in the back of the ski for a fitting with a hose someplace close to where the pump mounts.

No.The Waverunner uses a bilge plate and the hose goes to the engine. I would apppreciate if you dont comment, if you dont know.

cheers

Squizz

Cadet

Also I traced at split hose up from the plate it goes on to the engine. 'WASH' is cast into the top of the engine.

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No.The Waverunner uses a bilge plate and the hose goes to the engine. I would apppreciate if you dont comment, if you dont know.

cheers

Sorry to have wasted my time trying to help you. By the way, I just talked to a friend of mine who owns a ski salvage used parts business , he laughed at your explanation and told me exactly how the cooling system works on that old ski he also said they only made that model a couple of years , good luck in your quest.

Squizz

Cadet

Sorry to have wasted my time trying to help you. By the way, I just talked to a friend of mine who owns a ski salvage used parts business , he laughed at your explanation and told me exactly how the cooling system works on that old ski he also said they only made that model a couple of years , good luck in your quest.

Don't take it heart, if you don't know you don't I suppose. You confirmed it by phoning your friend and tried to explain it? LOL
I know how the cooling works, the plumbing does not make sense and you didn't help. Now if you could drawn or scan in a circuit diagram of the cooling system pertinent to a 1988 Wave runner that would be helpful. ;)

I will endeavour to get some pics etc so someone who knows can let me know. LOL

Squizz

Cadet

12.jpg

The split hose was attached to the fitting on the plate 38? The other big hose connected plate and to the pump was ok. The small with the split hose run up to the top of the motor (exhaust box) to the 'wash connection'.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 25

Squizz

Cadet

Picture2.jpg

The small broken line goes (follow the red line) it shares the fitting on the plate with the big pipe 16.

Squizz

Cadet

13.jpg
View attachment 224871
where I said the flush hose goes on is the other line to the pump, the flushline is further underneath
The small broken line goes (follow the red line) it shares the fitting on the plate with the big pipe 16.

Will this cause my jetski to invoke the overheat switch and render the jetski gutless? like 1/4 speed.

Last edited:

Squizz

Cadet

thanks for the reply and went and had another look. I double checked and both lines coming from the pump go to the engine. So I have 3 lines coming going into the engine, 2 from the pump and 1 where the flush line quick disconnect goes in. There is no bilge plate or any lines leading to the floor. The only way trapped water could get out is via the two
bungs at the back.

IMG_0231.jpg here are the three lines

IMG_0226.jpg and the broken line leads

Rokker@

Recruit
I have issues also with an 89 500.waverunner filling with water. I had it winterized last Nov and just put it in the water 2 days ago .Hull fills with water quickly and the plug is in .I cannot figure out how this is happening but did find a small lower hose disconnected from engine beneath the WASH fitting..Could that be why it filled up in the Hull?? Its a small line so I cant imagine that being the issue ??

Status
Not open for further replies.