Control Tower to Pilot.......

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Re: Control Tower to Pilot.......

Great photos of the B170 tcube. <br />Thanks for those. Certainly brings back memories.<br />One I flew to Viet Nam from Singapore (and back) on, (and believe me, that's a long way), had as i recall small perspect/glass windows in the bottom of the nose.<br />The crew threw an old mattress into the nose and up to 3 "passengers" (grunts) could sleep there at once. We took turns. <br />Had one old blanket to throw over us too,as it was terribly cold.<br />Anyway, I think I have a slide photo somewhere of 3 grunts, cuddled up, one behind the other, sleeping. All you could see were three heads, all facing the same way, real close together, asleep, with ear muffs on.<br />As for the dunny. You had to see it to believe it, and on long hauls, you had to use it. The ventilation was so viscious, absolutely no smell.<br />The noise was so bad, the crew use to break open the medical pack and give out bits of cotton wool to stuff in your ears. We then put ear muffs on. You still couldn't hear yourself think. <br />That's haw I recall it, but then again, the older i become, the better I was. ;) <br />Another interesting thing. I was on the mattress maybe 1 hr south of Ton San Ute, couldn't sleep, so just lay on my stomach and looked directly down through the little perspect/glass panels at VN. Couldn't get over how every farmer had so many "duck ponds", all perfectly round. On the run way one of the crew informed me they were "bomb craters" full of water, and probably used as ponds.<br />Oh to be 22 again.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I worked on P-3C Orions in the Navy. I took care of all the weapons systems and avionics on that monstrosity. What a machine!<br /><br />We used 123.45 to chatter between aircraft. Couldn't say what other folks are doing.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

LOL , Excellent really enjoyed those especially the German ones