Commonality with Auto Works

alldodge

Staff member
Things I like and don't like about brands, and yes have NOT owned many Fords

Chrysler 2021
Behind wheel left scan up/down and change preset channels
Behind wheel right up/down volume
Like - Rotate tires or even install new wheels with new sensors and Trucks learns where tires are, even can install sensors in trailer tires and it will auto learn those as you drive
Fingers in door handle and door unlocks, push button on handle and all doors lock
No like - that to unlock other doors have to push unlock inside
No like - 6 speed trans for diesel

Ford 2019
Like - Turn signal blinks 4 times when touched and not held to change lanes
Like - key pad on doors to open/lock but also think that is one way to get it stolen
Like - 10 speed trans for diesel

GM 2023
Like - Cruise control always ON unless turned OFF and just set. One click one mph increase, hard push 5 mph increase
In front wheel up/down volume
Like - Push button on handle once and drivers door unlock, push twice and all doors unlock. Like - Push any door button on any other handle and all doors unlock
No like - have to use special tool to re-learn tire location

Sure wish these guys would get together and make things common

matt167

Rear Admiral
Fords will also auto learn TPMS, but they can be reset like a GM as well… fwiw a GM/ Ford tpms reset tool costs about $5 if you catch the right deal. I paid $10 for 2 a couple months ago

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Controls and location should be made somewhat standard.----Talk about distracted driving while finding wiper control.----Or how to set defroster in motion.-----Never mind the controls in electric vehicles.----Not easy for seniors !!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
GM changes things every few years.

There is no standards for auxiliary vehicle controls

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I kind of like non standard controls. Old Saab was like that. Window switches in center console, one set only needed. Convertible switch there as well ... Why should it be on the ceiling? Many other sensible but odd features. The mini on the other hand... It's like they deliberately tried to make everything as unintuitive as possible to try and be cute.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Controls and location should be made somewhat standard.----Talk about distracted driving while finding wiper control.----Or how to set defroster in motion.-----Never mind the controls in electric vehicles.----Not easy for seniors !!
I’m with ya. Three different vehicles to deal with.

cyclops222

Lieutenant Junior Grade
THe auio companies still are turds after 100 years.
Too many relatives in the companies. Too many people on the pay roll & retirement.

briangcc

Commander
Lots of quirks out there. I heard/read somewhere that once the design is finalized, the engineers fight over where controls are put as its limited real estate.

For the life of me, I will not understand why the Tow/Haul button in my '21 Ram 1500 is a separate button. It very easily could have been a function of the dash gear selector...push in once it's on, push it in again and its off. Simple, elegant, and doesn't require yet another switch that's nearly in the passenger's lap. Good when the wife is a passenger, not so good when its my dad!

Time will tell on the electronic parking brake. Part of me wants the old school cable activated one as its less parts/electronics to fail.

Why in this day and age I don't have daytime running lights is beyond me. It's a Bighorn model so I dunno...most manufacturers have them now. I am adding grille lights when I get a chance so that'll fix that portion of it.

**In all fairness, I did lease this during Covid where vehicles were scarce so maybe, just maybe its related to the chip shortage. I know I didn't get the sport hood the truck should have had, got the basic one instead as that was chalked up to supply chain issues.

alldodge

Staff member
Why in this day and age I don't have daytime running lights is beyond me. It's a Bighorn model so I dunno...most manufacturers have them now.
Is your light switch placed in auto or manual, you should have day running lights

briangcc

Commander
It's in Auto. I simply don't have daytime running lights.

Been that way on both my Rams...I previously had a '19 Classic 1500 and now this '21 1500 DT with sport package.

Seems they are included on next trim level up that include the LED headlights/tail lights...mine are regular bulbs.

I'm looking at adding these...

and put it on a Trigger 4 Plus...control it from my phone...

Last edited:

Grub54891

Admiral
My old saturn, Window, controll has electric fir the passenger and back doors. Drivers door has a crank? I know the car was never on an accident and had the door replaced.......

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I sometimes say that I wish I could buy a new 1963 Pontiac.-----You could see every corner of the car for parking.----Easy to figure out the manual controls for heater, wipers, lights and radio .-----Would start to complain at 60 MPH so speeding did not happen

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I watched a car the other night pull into a parking and it seems they tried every switch in the car to get the lights on before driving off into the dark with only the day time running light on.
I rented a truck a few years back and was completely lost trying to figure out where everything was.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I rent probably 30-35 cars a year.
Have end up with just about every make and model you can think of over the years. Was lost a number of times until I learned how to read / maneuver the GUI used to operate most vehicles.

How many people know there is a "pointer" to tell you which side of the vehicle the gas cap is on?

Back on subject, hate Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Assist with a passion.

Love the Back Up Camera, Back Up Assist and Blind Zone Alert, especially in the truck.

Currently trying to decide if I should trade in my daily driver (2008 Civic EX) for a vehicle equipped with Apple Car Play.......lol

matt167

Rear Admiral
My truck which is a ‘21 Ranger will randomly trigger the collision prevention system ( which Ford calls Co pilot 360 ).. it does nothing except turn a siren and blinking lights on the dash, but it freaks me out every time. It’s only a handful of times it’s done it. I’m sure the collision system needs re calibrated. I have the scanner that can do it. But i haven’t gotten around to it.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I’m way behind on the new stuff. My work truck is a 2000 F150 and my fun truck is a 1990 4 runner which I drive 2 or 3 times a year.
The wife and daughter both have a Lexus amazing cars by the way especially the 08 it just keeps going. My son has 2019 Jeep and so far so good but I’m just waiting for the day the 💩 to hit the fan.

KJM

Lieutenant
My BIL has a new Nissan, that thing even tells you when are switching from paved road to dirt road. I love all the new tech. Wish my 2015 F150 had a backup camera every time I'm trying to back my truck up to the boat trailer hitch. I guess I'm getting lots of exercise hopping out of the truck at least a dozen times to try to line things up properly!

aspeck

Staff member
The backup cameras are great. I prefer the backup camera on my 2010 Yukon to the cameras on my 2020 Terrain and 2013 Acadia. The Yukon's screen is integrated into 1/3rd of the rear view mirror, so I can watch the mirror and the camera at the same time. Much more beneficial than having to look down at the dash of the car ... mirrors are important and if I can see the camera, side view mirrors, and rear view mirror without moving my head, that is a plus in my book.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the backup camera in our 2014 sierra is failing...... along with the HMI module and the dash screen is starting to have dead pixels on the OLED screen.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A lot of these fancy electric gadgets and electronics are fine when they work.---At $100 + / hr they are very expensive to trouble shoot / repair. Never mind the electric cars with a mile of wiring in them.---