Cobalt Owners?

jdag

Cadet
Re: Cobalt Owners?

Hello, all. I am new to iBoats and just purchased a 2012 Cobalt 200 (4.3L Volvo Duoprop). I've had her for just a month now.

I am loving the boat and the freedom of trailering. I live in Rochester, NY, and while the summer is short, the variety is great. So far I've been out on Canandaigua Lake about 8x, Oneida Lake once, and Lake Ontario/Irondequoit Bay once.

This is my 4th boat in about 20 years overall (17' open bow to 23' cuddy to 27' cruiser to this boat). And this is by far the highest quality of construction, fit, and finish I've experienced in a boat. Once I saw the Cobalt line, I told my wife her 3 choices were a new Cobalt, a used Cobalt, or no boat at all!

My 1 complaint is that there doesn't appear to be an active online commuity. I've frequented Sea Ray, Four Winns, and Chaparral forums in the past, but can't find a Cobalt specific site. Hopefully this group is active!

Take care, John

cobalt252

Seaman

John,

Try http://mycobalt.net/. There's a bit more going on, but in general I would agree with you ... not a very active online Cobalt community on iBoats forum ... may be we can start something ...

jdag

Cadet

John,

Try http://mycobalt.net/. There's a bit more going on, but in general I would agree with you ... not a very active online Cobalt community on iBoats forum ... may be we can start something ...

Thanks...I did see mycobalt.net in the past. It is VERY quiet and seems to be more of a classified site. Let's gett his one up and running!

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tell Rick German to sell more.:)

You are not in a large production boat like SeaRay. Cobalt is very regional, and simply awesome. They're out there, but you have a boat that is made like no other. I found an 89 last year. Guy could not get rid of it, he knew what he had, but he lived in an area that did not know Cobalt. Today the boat looks like the day it came from the factory. The factory helped me with some stuff I needed to know, but since you have Volvo, and they are the best, just enjoy Canadaguia.

jdag

Cadet

Tell Rick German to sell more.:)

You are not in a large production boat like SeaRay. Cobalt is very regional, and simply awesome. They're out there, but you have a boat that is made like no other. I found an 89 last year. Guy could not get rid of it, he knew what he had, but he lived in an area that did not know Cobalt. Today the boat looks like the day it came from the factory. The factory helped me with some stuff I needed to know, but since you have Volvo, and they are the best, just enjoy Canadaguia.

Rick's a good guy, and loves his Cobalts! I actually live in Rochester, but Canandaigua is only about a 50 min drive, and well worth it...beautiful lake!

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes he is. Known him forever. We're down on the Chesapeake Bay, but were up at Keuka for out two weeks this summer as always. We bought the Cobalt for the places we go by car.View attachment 165556

Attachments

• Cobalt1989.jpg
    Cobalt1989.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 0

jlhc

Recruit

We just purchased a 1977 19br. We love her!! They added a wake board tower (not sure how I feel about that yet). The captain chairs are shot and the seating in the nose needs redone - works for now but needs redone. The seating in the back has been replaced not to original standards so I am hoping to redo that more original-like one day soon. It also has the large teak swimdeck. For her age she is in good shape and we feel is a good solid boat. I just wish she had a cover - that will be our first purchase before winter!

My quesion is has anyone had theirs repainted? I was told it is not simple because of the gelcoat? But am wondering anyone has taken on this chore either themselves or had it done professionally. Also, is there anywhere to find replacement side decal plates. Ours are terribly faded.

Thanks for all the help! :)

PeterC4

Cadet

Moved up to a 232 this year after trading my Doral 200 Sunquest. It has a Volvo 5.7 GXI 320 hp dp. A great boat that handles choppy water very well.

nrvousdriver

Recruit

1986 Condesa is my recent purchase and introduction to the line. 5.7 with 600hrs. Growing up with little bowriders in northern Minnesota I was blown away by how high it rides up in the water and the necessity for trim tabs. 4 Cigarette lighters now means 4 phone chargers.
IMG_20131002_111751_924.jpg00l0l_bVag51rYjwZ_600x450.jpgIMG_20131002_111909_207.jpg

jhnmdahl

Cadet
Fun to see all the Cobalt boats here, both old and new. I recently ordered a 210 myself (with Volvo V8-225, forward arch, etc.) and have been looking for an online community of Cobalt owners. I didn't find a dedicated forum that was really active or maintained, so recently started www.cobaltchat.com - it would be great to see some of the regulars here who own Cobalt boats show up over there as well. It should be fun, and will help pass the time waiting for the ice to clear the lakes in Minnesota!

John