China up to no good?

rolmops

Vice Admiral
In other posts I have read that "China is up to no good".This usually is about China and India driving up the world market prices of raw materials and oil.<br />Are they up to no good or is their increased demand just a natural result of their effort to increase the wellbeing of their nation and people?Does the fact that we americans now have to share the playing field with other growing and powerful nations, who try to get their piece of the pie the same we have always got it, mean that they are up to no good?<br />Besides, there is a very interesting new cycle starting up in all of this.<br />China produces from raw materials,we buy the finished product,use it up and junk it.By doing this,we produce raw materials which in turn, the Chinese buy and turn into finished products.<br />How about we stop pointing a finger at China and start pointing a finger at our own consumption and production habits,thereby changing this cycle back to where we are the producers?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: China up to no good?

I have no problem with it as long as it benefits the People and not Despots. In that respect, OPEC really burns me! :mad:

PW2

Commander

China, as it devlops its economy, is becoming more and more stable. That is a good thing, and why global trade generally is a good thing. As their economy grows, so does their need for products like oil that we also need. Hence the price goes up.<br /><br />Any attempt to stop this is simply foolish and shortsighted on our part. We need to recognize the changes happening, and adapt to them. It should be becoming clearer and clearer that relying on ever increasing supplies of oil to supply the world's energy needs is a flawed plan, and ANWR or no, we have to figure out a different plan.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I look at it this way rolmops, if there was a steady increase of supply and demand I can not argue over the point. My point is that all of a sudden within the last several years the demand has jumped beyond the normal growth and demand.<br /><br />Even with the size of the U.S., our demand does not double or triple in its usage of raw materials each year. <br /><br />This is why I think something is not right.

beniam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rolmops<br />Touchy subject-extracting more money for fuel out of peoples pockets that is.My limited understanding is, possibly 50% of existing oil has been used,the easily recovered 50%. The remaining 50% is going to cost more to recover. <br />Also, the $$$ have dropped against the Euro, so it is likely ,we are being outbid on the world market.<br />My humble, and often deadwrong guess, China cannot keep their currency pegged to a dropping dollar forever. This ought to make our oil costs higher yet.<br />By the way --rolmops sounds like a rolled herring to me? Be happy, enjoy life. Batavier

D

DJ

I do not think that China is up to no good. I just think that we do not understand what is happening there.<br /><br />Thier need/appetite for raw materials is growing at a pace not seen anywhere else since our industrial ages.<br /><br />They are quickly becoming an economic powerhouse and will very soon surpass the US. <br /><br />The only unsettling part about that is their political ideology. It is not like ours. They do not waver for PC reasons. They do what they want, when they want, to whom they want.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

China growing it's economy is a good thing, yes i agree, However it should not be at the expense of the American people,thanks to the greedy American corporations and our beloved elected Democratic and Republican leaders.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

IMHO, it's the free market system. Perhaps it should be an "inyer face" wake-up call to the rest of the free world to get back in the competition, or stay out of it.<br />Captalism's only downside is, that win,loose or draw, you gotta play. If you do not, you ither starve, or place your country at the mercy of the generosity of other countries---who may have alterior motives for thier "compassion".<br />
From my dad (he used to love to say it):"In a sink-or-swim world, nobody has to sink, provided they swim thier heart out."

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The reason China is taking off is because they loosened their "comunist" economy and are more free market based.<br /><br />If you know any Chinese people, you know they are the most aggresive salespeople in the world.<br /><br />They have been turned loose, and sales are booming.<br /><br />Plus they learned a lot from Hong Kong when they took it over.<br /><br />If anything they are a great example that a communist economy doesnt work, and free markets work really well.<br /><br />The next 50 years will be very interesting.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

I disagree with the "greedy corporations" mantra. It's old, tired and not necessarily true.<br /><br />What is true is "greedy Americans". We as Americans expect and demand higher and higher wages, yet we won't pay a cent more for a product made by ourselves or our next door neighbor. I never could understand the idea of spitting in the face of the guy that feeds you. <br /><br />As for our neighbors, we don't know them anymore. We've become a society of individuals with a "me first, I'll get mine" attitude.<br /><br />China recognizes our hungriness for inexpensive goods. Some of us complain about slave wages in countries such as China. Yet, we only complain when we're not buying those products or when the TV camera is on.<br /><br />I can't blame China. We, (America) did the same thing. We just need to look in the mirror and stop playing the blame game. That is something we've become experts at. Want proof? Look in the yellow pages at the section for trial lawyers. It's the largest section in the book.<br /><br />That look in the mirror reveals a society that shuns REAL higher education, not what we call higher education today. We no longer think that basic skills are a necessary achievement. We only applaud those that can score the most baskets or hit the most home runs. A mathmatical genius is viewed as a "geek" or "nurd".<br /><br />Emerging economies like China realize that REAL education is important, not PC education.<br /><br />China is on the road to capitalism. We are on the road to serfdom.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yepits time for the US towake up. Venezuela is negotiating oilsales to china right now. Chavez does not like the US much. no wonder why :) :) . and Venezuala supplies 1/5th of our oil. if this oil heads to china instead of the gulf stand by tosee 4.00 a gallon gasoline soon. Citgo, is a wholly owed subsidary of PDVSA. PDVSA is the OIL company that is owened by the country of VE. all the oil,naturalgas and mineralresorces belong tothe government in that country and can be sold towhomever and when ever. same as saudi,Iraq and Iran and some other countries. as China grows and expands the free market economy they willneed more oil. China has the largest population of any country on the planet. most are very poor and most areas undeveloped. that is changing rapidly. now the old folks want more for their kids and the kids want a better life as well.<br /> wont be long and China will emerge as a world super power. I just wonder where america will stand. but like it or not they will emerge.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In my view we should use this wake up call to do what we still do well and thats be the leader in technology. China is great at cheap production and copying, or as they tend to do now buy Companies for there intellectual rights. We should advance technology and reduce our dependence on oil. We cant do this overnight but we should be striving to achieve it because it will run out maybe not in our lifetime but it will. There are alternatives in Wales they were running their cars on old chip fat & diesel mix(used cooking oil) with no problems it got so bad the Government were losing revenue and clamped down on it.

SoulWinner

Commander

Right now China is in the process of an unprecedented military build up. Why?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't forget that China has 1/4 of the world population. . .2 Billion people, more than 4 times our population, virtually no welfare class, and a work ethic that is surpassed only by . . . uh, um, gee, I don't know any culture with a higher work ethic. :eek:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the military build up is for the same reason we did since the 40's. it stimulates the ecomomy and allows for technology. how you think we got where we are? vietnam, and the persian gulf conflicts were "toy" tests that were a major boon to defense corperations as well as the economy. the only reason we moved a submarine into the shallow water of the persian gulf in 91 to fire a tomahawk was a "toy" test. prior to that a tomahawk had never been fired from a sub in combat. we knew that the Iraqis could not fire back and wished to see if the toy would work. as chinas economy grows so will its governments tax base so more will be funneled to the military and space programs to develop technology. the US has been rather myoptic(I am guilty) to other countries/races in thinking that its all 3rd world and backwards once you leave US airspace. may have been true 50 years ago but its changing rapidly. my fiance has been tochina several times on business. she is a venezuelan. she sees the up coming conflict as China emerges as a super power. I hope its a peaceful upcoming. its not that the american worker is solazy its they are used to a high standard or work environment. China is about where we where with our industrial revolution 100 years ago, 100 years ago we had sweat shops in this country, if ya got sickor broke a limb you were fired and replaced. no social security,no safety net no medical or retirement plans and workmans comp was not even a dream. work place safety was iffy at best and killer at worst. the republicans fought almost every change in the labor laws. but sometimes the dumbocrats wanted to much as well. its a balancing act.<br /> I just hope at the end of the circus the US is still on the beam.

D

DJ

China is about where we where with our industrial revolution 100 years ago, 100 years ago we had sweat shops in this country, if ya got sickor broke a limb you were fired and replaced. no social security,no safety net no medical or retirement plans and workmans comp was not even a dream. work place safety was iffy at best and killer at worst. the republicans fought almost every change in the labor laws. but sometimes the dumbocrats wanted to much as well. its a balancing act.<br />
Yep, and we support that in droves. Just not here. Out of sight, out of mind.....right?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

well we support it in many countries other than china as well. we also support torture and imprisonment with no charges or trials. thats why the CIA is sending prisoners overseas.<br /> hows that for a trusted government ?

D

DJ

well we support it in many countries other than china as well. we also support torture and imprisonment with no charges or trials.
If it walks like a terrorist, looks like a terrorist and was captured in a terrorist training camp, it's a terrorist.