FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
Just wondering if this cloth could be used for my deck. It is 12 oz but at this price I can handle a few extra pounds. I dont know if the weave is to loose or not
Just wondering if this cloth could be used for my deck. It is 12 oz but at this price I can handle a few extra pounds. I dont know if the weave is to loose or not
I'm far from a glass expert though, but my 1962 Glasspar was built almost completely out of that type of glass, no csm at all. For a deck, it should be fine, what your after is wear resistance more than adding strength. I did a few with epoxy using woven mat with good results. I used it because it was what I had and it was free at the time.
Thanks guys, I will use csm also. I can get it for less than 1.00 a sqyd. that is a third of the price of 6 oz so the 5 extra pounds it will add to the boat won't be tha awfully bad
Nitpick: It's actually called "woven roving". Roving is the bundles of strands it's made from. Roving is actually used in boat work too, in a not woven form, for hand layups in corners or along edges, or in places where specific reinforcement is needed. It's also what you feed into a chopper gun along with resin to spray glass onto a mold.
Mostly us amateurs use roving that's woven into a coarse cloth, hence "woven roving". It can be used without mat with epoxy, or with mat for polyester.
In the pic is a very fine woven roving or a coarse cloth, by the way... that's a quarter. My guess is a coarse cloth.