can someone tell me what motors are in a 1987 28' Chris-Craft 283 Amerosport 262 ?

kick1230

Cadet
oh they were all set up to run out of the box, that makes it easy, i was thinking a spread bore double pump but that would be way to much carb ,
Can you tell me how hard it to do a water pump on the starboard motor ?? Any tips etc, I may do it for her if her guy cant get to it soon. dont want to get into it if its bad....Im been working on cars whole life a ford man,never an inboard Thank again

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you have good access it’s an easy job. Done it 2x on mine over the years.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Here’s the carb I tried; as you can see it’s specifically calibrated for the 4.3 V6 engines. So what happened is I rebuilt the QJet and then took apart the Holley looking for a reason for the very rich running. The only thing I found was that the clutch bolts holding the secondary metering plate were loose. Don’t know if this would allow unmetered fuel to travel to the primary bores at idle and low rpms. I know that the Holley design does draw fuel from both the primary & secondary bowls to keep the fuel in the secondary fresh. All the Jets passages and air bleeds were clear, floats level and transfer slot was square. So who knows. I would have liked to use it but the damn thing just pissed me off so much I just went back with my 30 year old QJet.

BTW I’m old enough to have had a car with the QJet as stock, we had a ‘75 Olds Delta 88 350 for 15 years with the QJet and never had to rebuild it once! 15 years of use, all I did was clean the choke plate & linkage once a year.

kick1230

Cadet
Here’s the carb I tried; as you can see it’s specifically calibrated for the 4.3 V6 engines. So what happened is I rebuilt the QJet and then took apart the Holley looking for a reason for the very rich running. The only thing I found was that the clutch bolts holding the secondary metering plate were loose. Don’t know if this would allow unmetered fuel to travel to the primary bores at idle and low rpms. I know that the Holley design does draw fuel from both the primary & secondary bowls to keep the fuel in the secondary fresh. All the Jets passages and air bleeds were clear, floats level and transfer slot was square. So who knows. I would have liked to use it but the damn thing just pissed me off so much I just went back with my 30 year old QJet.

BTW I’m old enough to have had a car with the QJet as stock, we had a ‘75 Olds Delta 88 350 for 15 years with the QJet and never had to rebuild it once! 15 years of use, all I did was clean the choke plate & linkage once a year.
hi ok just saw this, I know the q jet too well lol Hate them lol But then im a ford guy , She has a friend coming to do the water pump was today but not as raining so i may have to do it, asked her if belts were ever done, nope...you have any idea on size or part # ? Its just one belt Thanks again

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Maybe take the one off and take to an auto parts store to match it up? They are all different, impossible to say off hand.
BTW even Ford used Q-Jets, for a short time on the 429 CJs in the late 60s, so did Mopar believe it or not. Once you know them, they are great. Less places to leak gas than a Holley too.

kick1230

Cadet
yea was hoping to have one on hand as im there as the deliver to my house ...i do know ford had a spread bore intake back then

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
lol I'm old enough to remember when those cars were NEW. In 1968,1969, 1970. Best years for muscle cars. You could walk into a Ford dealer and buy a Mach 1 for less than 5 grand and a Boss 302 for about 4700.

kick1230

Cadet
i was only 9 in 69 if i had know Id would have loved to buy one then lol to think you could have done that and if keep them till now I got my 69 fast back in 78

Attachments

• stang.jpg
    stang.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Untitled-Grayscale-17.jpg
    Untitled-Grayscale-17.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 1

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I was 14 then and my best friend's dad was the shop manager at the local Ford dealer. At the time Ford and Chevrolet were right across the street from each other. During the gas shortage circa 1974 (not shortage but OPEC's extortion) I saw a 1967 Corvette at the Chevy dealer, sitting on the used car lot, it had a 427, 3 deuces, outside exhaust and it was a convertible. $2500. And it sat there for a while!

kick1230

Cadet
my uncle worked for ford a while...to see what he go to see...dam...
You know of a web site that gives parts # or anything for that motor ?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
see if Chris-Craft has a website and manuals for older models, like Crusader does. The front circulating pump is a standard pump for marine applications for the old Pre-Vortec V6 and V8 (same part). I used a Sierra pump both times I replaced mine.

kick1230

Cadet
yes no luck there Ill call them The pump i got was i hope you said seems to be used on most v-6 and 8 from gm

Attachments

• 20210603_140702.jpg
    20210603_140702.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

kick1230

Cadet
hi again and thank you for your help. want to run something past you .. she was out on it without me, saw white smoke out back from each motor the guy that been working on it told her its from bad raw pump impellers. Motors did not run hot .....I told its common to see that lot of 4 strock jet skis do that . Whats your take on that ??? Thanks

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Steaming from the exhaust? It’s possible for the exhaust to overheat while the engine is not overheating so what the mechanic said could be true. I would get an IR temp gun and check the exhaust temps at the manifolds and elbows; see how hot they are getting.

kick1230

Cadet
yes....thats what I told her to do....what you think is a ok temp on them ? So if a raw pump is weak the motor will still run cool .....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That can vary quite a bit depending on hw the exhaust/cooling is set up, mine run 85-90 at idle and might rise to 135 after coming off plane but then cool off.

kick1230

Cadet
That can vary quite a bit depending on hw the exhaust/cooling is set up, mine run 85-90 at idle and might rise to 135 after coming off plane but then cool off.
hi and thank you yep thats what she said there at . I didnt think was an issue, been out a few times and saw smoke one time on one motor Ill see what they do
Need your help again....she has a newer windless on it. Not a drum one....has chain to rope.....

kick1230

Cadet
Hi again, do want to THANK you for all your help. I have been working on her boat ....she ran out gas on water as gauge was way off and filled filters with water a fun time but get her home safe . She wants to do raw water pumps do you know what or were i can get impellers and what kind of a job it is ? Thank YOU !!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That I can’t say if they are Crusader engines you have to check their parts catalog. They might be a standard Jabsco or Johnson pump with the housing mounted to the crank pulley.
Water in the gas? Make sure that the deck fill gasket is good and that there isn’t water pooling on top of the tank. Might have a bad sending unit gasket if that’s the case.

kick1230

Cadet
ok you know were I can find any info on them, ? Or have you ever done raw pumps yourself ?
I did put new o ring on filler neck, wasnt too bad. Threads are half gone on neck but still hold cap well...she did change sender unit ...I want to pull it and see if more water in tank, as it reads way off and she got the rite one I will look at gasket there thanks