Calling All Ontario Members

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Calling All Ontario Members

Thanks M.C. thats awesome advice.
We have made it to the Bay on our last trip and it did look quite intimidating.
Due to time constraints we turned around and headed back down the river.
Next time we will brave the unknown and head out following your directions.

No problem, if you know when you're coming, send me a message. I'm typically out every weekend and could scoot over and lead you out if you'd like. We're usually on Beausoleil which isn't far away.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Holy smokes Grandad, how in the world did I miss this thread. Here is some update info for your spread sheet

Year and model of boat you currently have, its length and engine size and type (or sailboats) 1990 Doral Monticello 270
Your residence locality (not your street address) Barrie
Where do you boat and when/how often? Lakes Simcoe, Couchiching and Sparrow, Trent Canal. Every Weekend from May to October. Do you trailer boat or have a marina or cottage slip? Marina in Orillia
What do you use your boat for: Day trips, Cruising, Overnighters.
Did you/do you build or rebuild your own boat? Try to do my own maintenance. For some reason doesn't always work out pretty. :eek:
Your boating history - when you started, where, what adventures you've had. First boat was my dad's old 67 Starcraft Holiday which I inherited in 1973. Had that for almost 10 years but he repowered the original 90 with a 40
ben-niet-gek.gif
and it was pretty well shot when I sold it. Next was an 84 Checkmate with twin 1250 Merc's. Third was a 1997 Chaparral 240 Signature which we sold last year to buy the Doral.

We are seriously thinking of moving our Doral down to the Barrie City Marina this spring. I think we would get more use out of it. Nothing llike walking across the street and hopping aboard for a nice summer evening cruise.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

We are seriously thinking of moving our Doral down to the Barrie City Marina this spring. I think we would get more use out of it. Nothing llike walking across the street and hopping aboard for a nice summer evening cruise.
Hey r.j. Thanks for dropping in. I'll add your info to the next update. I'm actually in Midhurst, but we're looking at maybe condo living. Your thoughts about walking across the road to go for a cruise appeals to me too. There's a new seniors condo planned for directly across from the Barrie marina that sounds interesting to us, but the price may be out of our league.
See Two New Harmony Village Projects: Debuting Soon : Home - Grandad

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

Just found this thread: Great idea!

1998 Monterey 322 Mercruiser 5.7's Bravo 3 drives.
Living in Acton Ontario.
Boating from Midland on Georgian Bay, most weekends from May to Oct.
I have a triaxle trailer for it, however it stays in the water all summer.
Would love to find a 38-40' cruiser in great shape at the right price! :)
I rebuilt and re-installed both engines. I also do all of the repairs and upkeep.
Have been boating with the famiily, on and off for the past 25 years.

beaverliner

Seaman Apprentice

Just saw this tread... Fantastic,
I have a chriscraft 260 sportdeck that i tow to lake Simcoe, lake Ontario, and lake Scugogg
Mainly outings with the family and friends... No fishing abilities here :)
Best regards,
Jose

Hi folk's, Here's my info... Boat - 89 Doral, twin V6's , Location - Port Perry, Travels - mainly simcoe to pigeon, hopefully go a little farther this summer... Main uses - day trips, overnighters, weekends and travels.. Boating past, not much, bought a 17 ft back in the 90's and sold it in 06 from a divorce... Finally got things back together and my fiance and I bought this boat this fall hoping to do a little upgrading and just enjoy!

Hey Back, I read some of the posts and thought it was you.. Thanks for all the info from previous posts!! It should be a great summer and am counting the days till my boat goes back in the water!!!

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Hey r.j. Thanks for dropping in. I'll add your info to the next update. I'm actually in Midhurst, but we're looking at maybe condo living. Your thoughts about walking across the road to go for a cruise appeals to me too. There's a new seniors condo planned for directly across from the Barrie marina that sounds interesting to us, but the price may be out of our league.
See Two New Harmony Village Projects: Debuting Soon : Home - Grandad

We are glad we made the move to the condo. We moved from Carson Rd three years ago and it's great. You would love it. Here is the view from our balcony.
small_zps1c89050a.jpg

wrench 3

Commander

Hi there: We have a 1986 26' tempest aft cabin with a 454 magnum. We dock it at home on Lake Scugog but have a trailer. We cruise the trent for a week each year plus weekends. I would like to boat out to Beausoleil Island some day. I do my own maintenance and repairs. I started boating at 9 yaers old. I've been running the TSW since the late '60s.

wrench 3

Commander

Hi Grandad: On a more personal note, my first boat was Mini Max sea flee with a souped up 12 hp Elto. Our last boat was a 22' cuddy cabin with a hard top that I put a counter with a sink and alcohol stove under the hard top. We used that boat for our weeks holidays for ten years. Oh, by the way, I have two grand sons 9 and 10 years old.

bluewaterboater

Seaman Apprentice

You lookin for me?? :joyous:

Grimsby Ontario here trailer to lake Ontario and the Trent System. Typically do a week long trip on the Trent once a summer camping at the locks along the way. Awesome family experience even though we pack everything into a 1999 Sea Ray 190 Signature bowrider!

Previous boats: 93 Bayliner 1850, 95 Bluewater 19', 97 Sea Ray 190 signature Bowrider.

Cheers!

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not too surprised. I think as people discover the thread and perhaps register, there'll be more interest. Hopefully, the slow start is just a growing pain. By the way, I visited Go Home Lake a number of times to visit the Misener family circa 1974. At that time, most cottage access was via boat, perhaps at or near your uncle's marina. We had a 17' Winner Eliminator that we trailed all over before children. - Grandad

I got away from going to the Lake in the early 70's(teenager) and only went up a few times in the next 10 years.Parents sold the cottage in the early 80's.Wish I had it now for what it sold for.
Used to know a lot of the people on the lake back in the day as my mom and dad both worked at the marina and I was there most of the time.Probably knew the Misners if they used my uncles marina.

wrench 3

Commander

Another thought enterred my head. If you added boat names to the information your colecting, we would recognise some one if we met up with them on the water. Our's is the Sanway II.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Just an update guys. Added a few new names and details. There's 76 entries now. I discovered a few others, but since they haven't posted anything for a couple of years, there's little point in adding their names.

Bluewater, thanks for the update. Ya, I was looking for you and any of your Ontario friends. I bought my only new boat (17' Winner Eliminator) from Foran's Marine in Grimsby after striking a deal at the Toronto Boat Show in about 1972.

Wrench3, that might work but I think many of us don't display boat names and you'd have to be comparing every name you saw on the water with a list that you'd need to carry with you. I agree that'd be nice to have, but I don't think it's worth the additional document space at this time.

RJ, thanks for the picture. Makin' me jealous. Nana doesn't like heights. We'll see what the new seniors condo development turns into and maybe ... - Grandad

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

OK. I've got a problem. The PDF file size just exceeded what the forum allows so the previous post's attachment didn't attach. Gonna try plan B, attaching an Excel spreadsheet with a much smaller file size. The document is unprotected, which means anyone with Excel can easily sort by names and places. I don't know how universal this will be for opening with mobile devices. I'm not that savvy with PDA's. - Grandad

EDIT - Update - Oops. iBoats doesn't recognize an .xls file. Well, give me a little time and I'll try a Word document. Not my favourite program for sorting lists, but I'll try it and see how the file size works out. - Grandad

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

OK folks, sorry to take so long to get the updates posted. I've resorted to an offsite file storage location for the membership list. I had to do some research to find a site that would allow iBoats registered members to read the file without having to register as members with the offsite. Thanks bruceb58 for suggesting "Dropbox", which I'll be using as long as there are no complaints. I had hoped to find a way to embed the list directly into my posts just as Photobucket allows with pictures, but didn't find such site/software. So, you'll have to click on the attachment.

In addition to registering with Dropbox, I've also upgraded my Adobe Acrobat that I use to convert the original Excel file, so it's taken a few days to get some bugs out. I'd like to hear some feedback on how well this file opens for you. When I click on the file, it opens on my computer in a "Dropbox" format that looks like a PDF, but I don't know if that's simply because I have the Dropbox software installed. I'm expecting that anyone with Adobe Reader can open the document. Please let me know how it opens for you. - Grandad

Attachments

• iBoats Ontario Members.pdf
    21.7 KB · Views: 0

wrench 3

Commander

Hi Grandad: The file opened fine for me and looks great. Some time when you're doing updates, our main activity is cruising. Thanks.
Sorry I forgot to include it in the original post.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Parks Canada Raising Lockage Fees
Parks Canada has announced a change in fee structure following a fee freeze that started in 2008. I was able to get more info from the Ottawa Citizen's newspaper site than from Parks Canada, though Parks Canada's announcement says they're looking for public input. Ya, not likely. Quote from the Citizen:

But the proposed changes for canals go beyond what most people would consider a reasonable increase to keep pace with inflation. Not only have the prices for lockage and mooring gone up, but the pricing structure has changed too. Once you do the math, some of the increases are on the order of several hundred per cent.

For example, a 25-foot boat can now go from one end of the Rideau Canal to the other for $116.25 in lockage fees. Under the proposed system, it would cost the same boat $450 to make the same trip.

Because the system eliminates day and seasonal passes and charges per lock instead, that could also have the effect of reducing trips for boat-owners who might make a jaunt from their home or cottage to a nearby town for lunch or shopping. Commercial boats will have to pay double. The effect is easy to predict: Fewer people booking tours or renting boats, and fewer boat-owners making trips.

Ottawa Citizen's editorial: Editorial: Sinking canal usage
Parks Canada's announcement: Parks Canada - News Releases and Backgrounders
Have a nice day. - Grandad

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In addition to registering with Dropbox, I've also upgraded my Adobe Acrobat that I use to convert the original Excel file, so it's taken a few days to get some bugs out. I'd like to hear some feedback on how well this file opens for you. When I click on the file, it opens on my computer in a "Dropbox" format that looks like a PDF, but I don't know if that's simply because I have the Dropbox software installed. I'm expecting that anyone with Adobe Reader can open the document. Please let me know how it opens for you. - Grandad

Just so you know, the link you posted is not a dropbox file. It is a .pdf file using the iboats forum software. Seems you have split the Excel file up into 4 pages and really lowered the file size. But it looks great.
It's obviously now a vector file and not a raster file as seen in the picture below when enlarged to 1200%. Still perfectly clear.

Untitled3.jpg

As long as you can update it easily, you have a long way to go using the forum software, as it's only a 22 kb file out of the 475 kb's you are allowed.