New Project - Help Needed - 1994 Starion 1900

mroth1900

Cadet
Last year my wife and I purchased a used (new to us) boat off of ebay. Spoke to the seller several times asked many questions and hoped in the truck to IL to purchase the boat. This is a 1994 Galaxie Boats of Cali Starion 1900 (Or so the plate says). Now when purchased it was understood that the motor probably needs to be overhauled or replaced. The plug gaps in 2 cyl's closed after 1/2 hour or so of running at normal RPM's. Not a deal breaker for me since I have some backround in engine repair and some of my friends are mechanics. Brought the boat home cleaned it up, changed the plugs (and put the correct plugs in the engine) tuned it up set the timing and took it to the lake to test it out. 2 hours later on the water and checking the mechanicals I called the wife and kids told them to bring the camper and stayed all weekend on the water. We only had about 5 weeks of good weather left and spent most of it on the water.

Now boating season is around the corner and I have possibly some issues with the decking in the boat. I noticed over the winter while hanging out in the garage the middle of the decking was getting softer by the day. I opened the ski hatch and mush (slang for what used to be wood). I am not familiar with these boats at all regarding construction. Just by flashlight inspection and nosing around the engine it looks like everything behing the rear seat is fine. I am doing some more inspecting this evening since we have been covered in snow and its blistering cold. And will post some pics in the next day or 2. My biggest concern in the flooring under the dash area of the boat. The bow has a fiberglass deck and the wood deck runs up under that one. I do not know how far. I do not want to take the cap off of this boat. If anyone has encountered this and can help guide in the replacment of the deck I would greatly appreciate it or knows about these Galaxie boats.

I have read alot of post on here and learned alot so far. Now its time to dive in a get it done.

Engine is a 5.0l with Volvo SX. Not really sure what make the engine is, I thin it is a Ford. If you know the answer let me know.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 0

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: New Project - Help Needed - 1994 Starion 1900

Hello mroth1900,
Welcome to Iboats.
Very nice looking boat. The lines are very nice.
More pic's of the inside of the boat and the area you are talking about would be helpful. To determine if the transom is still good I would recommend taking several core samples. With a drill and a .25" drill bit. Looks can be deceiving.
You may not need to take the cap off, but to determine that you will need to do some exploring. If you found mush in the ski locker at least some of the stringers are more then likely gone. I would start by cutting some of the deck out to allow you to see more. That exploration will tell you how far you will need to go.
Hope this helps.
Bob

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would probably cut a hole to the outside of the stringers and look and see if it is filled with foam. If it is start scooping till you hit the hull and the outside of the stringer. If it is wet at the bottom, You will have to cut the entire floor out. Remove all the foam and go from there. Rot is unpredictable. You can have a soft spot up front by the front seats and end up chasing rotten wood to the point of a complete restoration. Don't worry though, it's not rocket science just a whole lot of labor. Fiberglass, resin and wood is cheap.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with spinnaker and Bob-
You just have to start cutting and drilling test holes to see if there are any areas that are dry. If you want to do it right, aka better than factory, you may have to pop the cap. really not that big of a deal and will give you a LOT more working room.
Most importantly dont be afraid to ask questions!

mroth1900

Cadet

OK so I didnt get into the boat last night. The wife wanted to watch a movie.
Anyways a few questions heading into this:

1. Fiberglass - What is the best I can use?
2. Resin - poly or other? I have heard that poly does not bond to wood very well which brings ne to the next question
3. Can I lay this floor like the newer models (Tahoe, crownline) all fiberglass molded decking? I not sure but I dont think these newer boats have wood in them
4. if there are rotten stringers and such in the hull wood or seacrest (or whatever it is called)?

mroth1900

Cadet

Ok as the work day continues more questions appear.

I will start gutting the deck tonight take many pics and put them up over the weekend.

I would like to replace the deck, rear bench etc...with all fiberglass. The current construction is exposed wood that has begun to rot as well.

What I mean in newby term is no carpet. I want a painted finish on all except where the interior vinyl/leather will be replaced on the gun walls seats etc...

What type of paint should I use in inside of the hull?
The exposed finished glass?
etc....?

I will also be repainting the hull so suggestions on type of paint. I do not have much repair work on the exterior of the boat. It does have some miner blisters toward the rear of the hull and typical scratches and a few bb size diviets. Should I use tex or epoxy to fix or something else.

Do I have to strip the boat hull completley to repaint or litely sand prep prime and paint?

Sorry for all the questions but some many of you have been thru this and I have seen the outcome of you projects you are my experts from start to finish. I dont have a budget in mind and time is not an issue. Just want to produce something nice and fun for the family to enjoy for 4-5 years and eventually buy something bigger (probably a complete restore project)

mroth1900

Cadet
Paint - Gel Coat

Paint - Gel Coat

Ok so Iam having a very difficult time posting pictures on here off my progress.

By the end of the weekend I will be ready to paint the bilge, ski locker etc...
Only problem is I dont know what to use.

Questions:

What paints to use on

1. Hull under deck
2. Deck itself (would like a smooth finish with non-slip areas)
3. Hull walls
4. Bottom of hull (repainting and changing color)
5. Cap and interior fiberglass.

I was told by a local boat builder to use automotive paint on the hull and interior. Looking into all the posts I see numorous types of paint and gel coat used. Any feed back and results would be greatly appreciated and type of paint and manufacturer used.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 0
  • deck1.JPG
    deck1.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 0
  • hull2.JPG
    hull2.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 0
  • hull3.JPG
    hull3.JPG