Cabin interiors??

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK cuddy cabin folks, especially you StarCraft tinny guys n gals, what is the current thinking on lining the hull in the cabin?

I am dealing with orange plastic "astroturf" and it has to go!

Any good options other than marine carpet?

drewpster

Commander
Re: Cabin interiors??

Some use vinyl covered panels. There is also "hull liner" material that looks like thick wall paper that can be directly adhered to the hull. You could also coat it with durabak or paint. The trick to using panels is to figure out a way to reliably fasten the panels to an aluminum hull.

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Durabak or paint would be easy on the budget but I am planning on napping and some extracuricular activities with my sweety. Might be nice to have something softer.

Vinyl panels?? New too me,, Do you have a link for that??

LX Kid

Ensign

I'm also going to cover the walls of my cuddy cabin and am thinking of using indoor/outdoor rubber backed carpet. Plan on using industrial adhesive to adhere it to the walls.

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"Like a covered panel in a car."

Oh OK. I thought you meant a manufactured product.

I found something called "hull liner" in an Internet search, apparently it is much like the rubber backed I/O carpet except with shorter pile and no backing idea being that it molds around bumps and such easier than I/O carpet. Attached with spray glue.

This sounded workable, but not very "comfy".

I wonder,,, maybe some pink/blue board insulation, or marine upholstery foam, cut, glued, and covered with the "hull liner" glued on? Or perhaps that opens the possibility of using marine vinyl over the foam?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The interior should be real thick rubber padding and installed BEFORE any other work is done.

You will have a nice place to scream and beat your head into the walls for doing a restoration :D

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"You will have a nice place to scream and beat your head into the walls for doing a restoration "

How bad can it be?? (famous last words!) LMAO!!

Nah, of all the things I am having to do, this one I expect to be reasonably easy compared.

Tell ya what though, If I had it to do over i would begin by completely stripping the boat. That is where I have ended up anyway and it would have saved much time to just begin that way.

Next up, pulling all the glass(it leaks) and since I have to go that far,, everything else, cleats rub rail and such, and the painting I was going to put off for a couple years. Since-ya-was and might-as-wells are killing me!

BTW I am saving pics for you'all but my pitifully slow progress is way too embarasing to share piece by piece.