Buying my first boat, few questions.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, i am about to start looking for my first boat. Ive been into boating, but with use of my mom and step dads boat, and then i had got a boat i had planned to restore, but after weighing it out with the price of what it will cost, it is not worth it too me. So i am on the look out for a boat. Just trying to find out what exactly i should look for aside from the obvious, Exterior condition, interior, Motor running etc... The problem is, due to the time of year id like to buy, here in ohio i doubt ill be able to put it on a lake to test. I would like to buy before spring. Ideally im looking to purchase around mid feb, early march. Now depending it might be 60+ degress or it might be -2 outside lol. But chances are i would not be able to test it. So what good tests can be done on site. I will be taking my muffs with me so i can hear it run, just incase they dont have any on site.

Thanks for any input guys.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Re: Buying my first boat, few questions.

What "first boat" will you be looking for ? 176 ft. San Lorenzo ? Or $1500.99 1974 Bayliner 1650 ?

oldjeep

Admiral

"I will be taking my muffs with me so i can hear it run, just incase they dont have any on site."

I can pretty much tell you no one is going to let you use them. It would require they re-winterize the boat if you didn't buy it. The fact of the matter is that unless you get a written guarantee (and even then it's iffy) you have no way of knowing what you are buying until you can get it on the water. Few if any private sellers are going to guarantee anything so I guess that leaves you dealing with dealers or waiting for warmer weather or,,, roll the dice and take your chances.

Depends on the boat and seller. If it was actually warm enough I would start mine up for a buyer - doubtful that it would be warm enough since I'm in MN though ;) Mine drains very easily, so it isn't a big deal. Bigger problem would be that most boats are going to be stored in such a way that getting water to them is unlikely.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

What "first boat" will you be looking for ? 176 ft. San Lorenzo ? Or $1500.99 1974 Bayliner 1650 ?

15-17ft boat. Used in lakes around ohio.. 50-90hp Motor.. Ive looked at a few bayliners on CL that i like, but then have read bad thing on the net about them. But it seems as if its hit or miss on how people feel about them.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bubba is right, but then again, I've never bought a boat that I've "water tested". Sometimes getting the best deal is a matter of jumping on it and taking an educated chance. emphasis on "educated". You do need to be more specific as far as type of propulsion and budget. It's hard to detect soft spots in floors during freezing conditions.

The fact is that on a trailer(sometimes jacked all the way up) or in a slip, the bow sits lower than the rear bilge. Since boat stringers can be totally gone below a solid deck, the biggest challenge is finding a good solid, dry boat.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

15-17ft boat. Used in lakes around ohio.. 50-90hp Motor.. Ive looked at a few bayliners on CL that i like, but then have read bad thing on the net about them. But it seems as if its hit or miss on how people feel about them.

I've had several Bayliners. If they are taken care of no worries. Most do not have outboards which it appears you are after. What's your budget?

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

A boat similar to this is what im looking at. Not neccisarly in that price range. Probably up to 3k right now. this is just one ive ran across. A boat of this style is what im looking for.

1990 Bayliner

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

even if the motor is bad i would jump on that for the price as long as floor is good. How handy are you - construction and mechanical?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

i had a 21' version of that hull and loved the ride.

Force is good and basic, easy to work on parts are getting a bit scarce but again at that price you can slap on another engine for a few bills. Probably is rated to a 85 hp or so which would get up and go.

jc55

That boat screams garage kept. Looks like a nice presentable boat for the money!

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

I've done some construction, very mechanically inclined when it comes to cars.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

I am awaiting a response from him. But if i was looking at a bayliner like that, as long as it seems solid and well kept, i should not worry about purchasing one? There are a lot around here around that price range and maybe up to 2500 that apear to be in that condition.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

I am awaiting a response from him. But if i was looking at a bayliner like that, as long as it seems solid and well kept, i should not worry about purchasing one? There are a lot around here around that price range and maybe up to 2500 that apear to be in that condition.

No worries.

That is a a 23 year old boat and the pics (as long as they are current - there are leaves on the trees and don't know OH registration sstickers) do scream garage kept as said. If the floor is solid absolutely no worries. Should have no worries on transom as A) it is an OB and B) it is a small (weight and torque) OB.

If I can work on a Force OB, anyone can and if you have basic construction skills you can tackle anything that boat can throw at you. If the motor craps completely - you go on craigslist and buy a used say 70 HP for about $500 and you're back in business.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Don't want to start the Bayliner debate but it is about how the boat is kept, not the fact its a Bayliner. Yes they are more cheaply made.

Think of this - I go buy a Mercedes and trash it out - never change oil, don't rotate tires, spill beer all over it, let the dog crap in it and the kids well you know what they can do. It's a $50k vehicle.

Or I buy a $20k Civic and take care of it for the entire time I have it. Good oil, clean filters, keep it in the garage, beat the kids regularly and no dogs.

In 20 years - which of these cars would you buy?

jc55

The Force motor is not something that is sought after, and an entry level bayliner is like a chevy cavalier of boats. None of that matters. If you can get out on the water dependably for $1600, that's awesome!!! Get a manual, do some routine maintenance, learn, polish, ding it and dent it, then you'll know what you'll want in your next boat. I like older boats. You're doing the same thing for $50k less than some, and their girlfriends aren't always better looking;)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

and their girlfriends aren't always better looking;)

good point and I would change 'aren't always' to 'usually are not' and throw in a 'crankyness' factor.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

hey jc55 can you tell if that is a current reg sticker on it?

jc55

LOL! And they spill their...
tea%20crumpets.jpg

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the input and helpful advice guys! I will go check out a few of these boats now!

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

It looks like last years registration sticker