Buying boat need opinions

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Buying boat need opinions

To answer your origional question...

I'm thinking about buying a 1989 VIP valiant it has a 350 v8 the lower outdrive or cuppler are bad one or the other he said it's a nice boat few ters in leather but normal buying for 2000.00 think it's a good deal or what?

...nope!

Now, if you think it's a good deal than go for it!

possum2082

Petty Officer 3rd Class

caleb,

take it easy, man.

it's extremely difficult to read your posts and make sense of them. poor spelling and sentence structure makes answering your questions very difficult.

your=possessive.

you're=you are.

Calebbrown77

Seaman

Wow it's not that hard to read but any ways I have been looking around for a different boatsp all last night an today an it seems like I'm not gonna get a boat as nice as the VIP for the price yeah the outdrive is bad but every boat I have seen that I can afford has a omc out drive an I don't see what's so hard about replacing the outdrive

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I don't see what's so hard about replacing the outdrive

I think the point most of the fellas are trying to make is that you spend $2K for the boat, another $1K for the drive, total $3K (rough numbers obviously). Boat might actually be worth $1K.

For $3K you should be able to buy yourself a reasonable boat, with a current driveline vs. a reasonable boat with a driveline that is obsolete.

Calebbrown77

Seaman

This is what I'm trying o tell that was my original offer if I come to him win info an prices I could get the boat for under a 1000 an replace the outdrive for around a 1000!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think the point most of the fellas are trying to make is that you spend $1K for the boat, another $1K for the drive, total $2K (rough numbers obviously). Boat might actually be worth $1K.

For $3K you should be able to buy yourself a reasonable boat, with a current driveline vs. a reasonable boat with a driveline that is not obsolete.

I corrected my numbers, my apologies. The rest stands.

pvmtsux

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure why you have 2 threads runing on basiclly the same topic but I posted in the other thread titled "Looking for an OMC Outdrive".

possum2082

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow it's not that hard to read but any ways I have been looking around for a different boatsp all last night an today an it seems like I'm not gonna get a boat as nice as the VIP for the price yeah the outdrive is bad but every boat I have seen that I can afford has a omc out drive an I don't see what's so hard about replacing the outdrive

i don't think you are in a position to judge what is hard to read and what is not. clearly, you are the one communicating, so you understand what you are trying to get across.

be patient, man! you will find a non omc drive eventually. i shopped for about 2 months and eventually found the boat on my sig. it had a volvo penta and the guy accepted my offer of 2600. i was so very excited because it seemed that every other boat i looked at and could afford had an omc.

you'll find one. be patient.

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Caleb

Good luck with whatever decision you make. I think you will probably look back on the advise given here, in the future, and more clearly understand the wisdom.

Just curious....are you typing your posts on a phone app (no slight intended)?

Calebbrown77

Seaman

Yep through my iPhone that's whyni can't post pictures! So since it has a omc cobra drive on it does that mean I can't put a mercruiser version on it! This is only if I get the boat for 800 I am gonna ask today! I am not going to buy if he will not go Down I just figured you guys were satin it was such a bad idea because it cost so much but if it cost less could it be worth it or is it a lost cause in all! I wish I could put pictures up but I can't!

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just a thought here...maybe instead of dissuading every potential OMC buyer from buying an otherwise viable hull simply because it has a Cobra drive, maybe we could make this a sticky? "if you want to buy an OMC Cobra, we suggest you do this..." kind of deal? That would solve alot of the issues with the bickering in here over telling people to not buy OMC stuff, and maybe get a few nice hulls restored and on the water, while introducing some new members at the same time. Seems like a win-win-win for the new potential owner, the forums, and iboats. Obviously this would include a disclaimer for Stringer type drives and King Cobras, but it seems this would be a lot of help to those that have no clue that this is even possible to swap, and be a very positive alternative to just saying "no...dont buy that POS...".

Add to that DonS's template pic that shows the transom cut out for OMC Cobra, SX, and Merc are the same, and that (with considerable effort in harnesses, etc) the drive system could in fact be swapped over to a more modern unit, and they could still use that hull they want to buy / restore.

Had I known about that cutout before, I may very well have swapped my destroyed SX out for an available Cobra unit, and still had my '98 220H. Yes, I realize this is going backwards, but it would have allowed me to justify refurbing the hull, getting it on the water, and then trying to locate a decent SX replacement as time / money allowed.

Just sayin...this seems a more constructive way to talk about this issue, rather than simply dismissing it. All are much more informed, and able to make their own decisions in a much nicer and more constructive manner.

hostage

Lieutenant

Why not check on craigslist and see what you can get for about $3-4k around in your area, it might give you a better idea. I saw a lot of nice boats from mid 90's for around $4k

Calebbrown77

Seaman

It is pretty nice with a v8 the tilt an trim relay is bad it runs good! The story an sets could e done I would like to any way an I want to paint!!