Building an O/B motor stand - Instructional Verified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kramerz

Recruit
Re: Building an O/B motor stand - Instructional

Thank you for sharing the plans for this great motor boat stand. I built mine today, following the specs exactly and it turned out very nicely. Send me your paypal email address - I owe you a Starbucks.

kramerz@hotmail.com

Thanks again!

Kirk

kfa4303

Banned

I tried to combine the best of a couple designs, so I used the plans from here in the forums, casters to help move it around, and nailed on the little piece of plywood on the side with a notch cut out which allows you to work on your LU, another clever trick I picked up here. A good stand is like a nice car lift. It makes all the difference in the world.

QD-22 side shot.jpg

Cracka

Recruit

Mate, great job on the plans for this outboard stand. I built myself one and even gave it a coat of paint, its very stable even able to fully tilt the motor without any problems. Thanks very much for your effort.

Mick

DSC03272.jpg

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class

great stuff!

jbcurt00

Staff member

great stuff!
JV, buddy, there's a great big red banner at the bottom of inactive threads...

As the forum guidelines suggest: Any thread that the ORIGINAL POSTER [OP] hasn't posted to in 90 days, should be considered inactive & treated as a resource like a library book, read all you like, but please don't write in them.

dh4winn79 [OP] hasn't posted in this thread since July 26, 2008.................. And hasn't posted to iboats in almost a year.....

The easiest way to avoid inactive threads is to look for the big red banner across the bottom of your screen.....

deivys20

Recruit

I know this thread is old but for those like me who just found it and wanted to build an engine stand i just wanted to post a quick note about it. On the description it says that he used 4 2x4x96 but you can build the stand with only 3 of them. First board cut 31" times 2, 32 3/16, second board 36" times 2, 24". Last board 18 11/16 times 2, 24", 32 3/16. There you have all the cuts needed with a little bit of leftover. Hopefully it helps someone in the future.

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I downloaded a PDF of the plans and plan to get the materials as soon as conveniently possible. Looks like it should easily do the job for my 25 hp Mercury.

tnobes

Cadet

thanks for the plans, greatly apprieciated

UglyYellowCat

Recruit

Thank you so much for posting these plans!
I just finished building it and my Suzuki 9.9 extra long shaft fit on it perfectly.
I plan to build another one with my daughter to hold my Suzuki 6 regular shaft.

rik2263

Recruit
I built this one with stuff I had around the house. May be a little over kill for a 15 horse but is is solid

JesterGrin_1

Seaman Apprentice
I have to agree with the Others. Thank You for the GREAT Information. I will give this a go tomorrow for my 1976 Johnson 85 HP. :)

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I built this yesterday out of some spare steel 2inch box I had given to me. Knocked it up in less than 3hrs with a small grinder.

finnstar

Cadet
No Title

attach10498753.JPG Thanx for the plans! i made one from them :D

Attachments

• photo211644.JPG
    photo211644.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 4

notlimah3

Recruit
The internet is a beautiful thing when guys like you put out such high quality, easy to follow instructions. The blueprints were spot on and the whole family at our summer cottages thought I was some sort of magician when it was finished thanks to you. Much appreciated. Total cost $49.67. $26 of it was the caster wheels at Lowes.

Attachments

• IMG951516.jpg
    IMG951516.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG951516.jpg
    IMG951516.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG951517.jpg
    IMG951517.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG951517.jpg
    IMG951517.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 1

Smartmarto

Recruit
Thank you very much. The video and the plans were perfect for me to replicate. I built it to hold an electric trolling motor as well as a 9.9hp gas motor. The placement of the casters shown to be under the motor causes my setup to be too tippy so I simply moved the middle casters to near the end of the other base boards, creating the longest possible wheelbase and it is now perfect. With the light motors I decided the second 2x4 uprights which extend downward from the horizontal 2x6's were not necessary. Saved a bit of wood. With my lightweight motors I think even the lower 2x6 was not necessary but I had scrap pieces so used them. Makes it heavier though than it needed to be. I'm very happy with this contraption. Thanks again.

trailking82

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The plans given for this stand are incredibly simple to follow and the stand is super stong, i just had an old Merc 1400 sitting on it for almost 3 years and so no signs of fatique

Status
Not open for further replies.