Broken low speed needle

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys ,looking for some advice I've got a six horsepower 1971 Johnson ,somebody has broken the low speed needle off in the orifice wondering if anybody's got any tips on how to remove it, you can see the tip of the needle inside the hole where the Welch plug is and if you look through the other end where the needle goes in the carburetor body you can see the broken off needle I'm stumped on how to get it out of there

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fairly common event.----Drill a wee hole in carburetor body so you can use a wee punch to drive it out.----Plug hole with a wee screw.----Done.

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fairly common event.----Drill a wee hole in carburetor body so you can use a wee punch to drive it out.----Plug hole with a wee screw.----Done.
Okay would you explain more in detail about where to drill a hole and everything

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
if the tip extents in the drip chamber under the welch pluch can you not tap it gently backwards...but don't mushroom the point

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
It's threaded guys. How do you tap it out? I'd take a nail or another screw that's about half the diameter as the adjusting screw and put crazy glue on it and hold it in place for a couple of minutes and see if you can screw it out with the adjusting needle on the end of it.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Find a very small dia left hand drill bit, small enough to fit the large dia end of the broken pin. Once you get the left hand drill to bite in, it will unscrew the broken pin. Gonna be a tiny delicate job but doable....remember left drills go backwards..same direction as unscrewing...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry----Usually it is just the tip that breaks off.----Find a used carburetor on E-bay for this one.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
See post #3-----Newer motors had a steel tip to prevent club fisted folks from breaking them off.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Brodmann if just the tip broken seems it should tap out ...

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A very common event if you have worked on more than 1 of these wonderful 6 HP motors.----Picked one up for cheap last year.----Broken tip on the needle is why it was discarded.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
A very common event if you have worked on more than 1 of these wonderful 6 HP motors.----Picked one up for cheap last year.----Broken tip on the needle is why it was discarded.
and folks think oil is the usual problem that kills these engines

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have about 10 or more of these engines.----At 50:1 they will last nearly forever.----The bronze main bearings rarely show any sign of wear !

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have about 10 or more of these engines.----At 50:1 they will last nearly forever.----The bronze main bearings rarely show any sign of wear !
They sound like their pretty good engines,I picked this one up for 40$ resealed the gear case,new impeller, carburetor kit,new OEM needle,and a used hood, because it was missing,got it to run with the new needle,but wouldn't idle down properly

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry, you guys called it correctly. I've never heard of the tip of a mixture adjusting needle breaking off. I assumed it was frozen up and broke off flush or inside the carb. Good call guys, as always.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Remove the needle, which presumably leaved the tip imbedded in the carb body. A finishing nail works to push the tip into the drip chamber where you can fish it out (head of the nail used to contact the broken tip).

Last edited: