Bringing a theft recovery back to life.

hazmat5760

Seaman
Re: Bringing a theft recovery back to life.

Schmoe, most of what you suggested I've already planned on, especially the trim line flushing. Guess i hadn't really thought about draining the outdrive oil and honestly have no idea how to do that, so more research for me! lol.

I was also leary of just jacking the boat up. Wasn't sure if there was somewhere specific to jack or not. With any luck, I can jack it up and then modify this one so it will work over the winter.

I havent' changed the oil yet. When I checked the oil, it was pretty clean with a slight smell of gas. That doesn't really worry me though.

The engine was covered as all the upholstery was there when I got it. I need to go and get a bag to put over it.

Good news is my cover came today!

As soon as I can find some 3m 5200, I'll be doing the core samples. Don't know if walmart has it or not, but 3M showed zero dealers within a 100 mile radius.

Thanks again guys!

Oh, and I'm in Iowa, so yea I'm in the freeze zone.

Also, thanks for suggesting changing the boots.

When I first found out it was a 350 with through hull, I went to youtube. Let me tell you, that was a huge mistake! :eek: I just love how they sound! Sat there for 3 hours listening to different boats with through hull.

hazmat5760

Seaman

The kids really surprised me! We were finishing up with breakfast when I asked if they wanted to help with the first wash of the boat. Before I knew it, they were dressed and out the door!

I got an email from my daughter asking when we can take the boat and go camping on the river! :D

hazmat5760

Seaman

Forgot to say that right before it was stolen, or so he says, he had the outdrive serviced. Hopefully this means there won't be any water in there, but who knows. :D

hazmat5760

Seaman

Forgot to address the cuddy. The mattress that were in there have been chewed on by mice, so they are out. The ceiling carpert has some dirt stains but is cleanable. Haven't had a chance to go all the way up front yet though, which if there is any water damage, I'm willing to bet its up there.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

As soon as I can find some 3m 5200, I'll be doing the core samples. Don't know if walmart has it or not, but 3M showed zero dealers within a 100 mile radius.

Home Depot has it......Lowes doesn't

hazmat5760

Seaman

Guess I have to make a extra trip tomorrow night. It figures though. Lowes is 3 miles from home while HD is 35 miles.

Andy in NY

Commander

Schmoe, most of what you suggested I've already planned on, especially the trim line flushing. Guess i hadn't really thought about draining the outdrive oil and honestly have no idea how to do that, so more research for me! lol.

I was also leary of just jacking the boat up. Wasn't sure if there was somewhere specific to jack or not. With any luck, I can jack it up and then modify this one so it will work over the winter.

I havent' changed the oil yet. When I checked the oil, it was pretty clean with a slight smell of gas. That doesn't really worry me though.

The engine was covered as all the upholstery was there when I got it. I need to go and get a bag to put over it.

Good news is my cover came today!

Thanks again guys!

Oh, and I'm in Iowa, so yea I'm in the freeze zone.

Also, thanks for suggesting changing the boots.

When I first found out it was a 350 with through hull, I went to youtube. Let me tell you, that was a huge mistake! :eek: I just love how they sound! Sat there for 3 hours listening to different boats with through hull.

Guess I have to make a extra trip tomorrow night. It figures though. Lowes is 3 miles from home while HD is 35 miles.

walmart where i live carries 4200, 5200 and the atwood version of marine sealent.

hazmat5760

Seaman

I have a thing of seasense clear silicone sealant. Is that the same as the 3m 5200? Says in skins over in 10 minutes and cures in 24 hours.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

find some 3m 5200, I'll be doing the core samples. Don't know if walmart has it or not

My WalMart has it, and 4200.

Schmoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By looking at the pictures of the engine, you don't have a remote outdrive fill. So, your going to have to do it the old fashion way. Underneath the outdrive, you'll see a flush mount, slotted screw, that's your outdrive fluid drain. Get a pan, drop the outdrive so that it's right above the pan, and BE QUICK, take the screw off and see what comes out. Water will settle at the bottom of the out drive. If you got a good amount of water coming out, you got a leak some where within. If only like a drop or two, then your OK. Also, check the screw plug, it will have a magnatized end and see if you got lots of metal shavings on it. If so, another potential problem. A little is OK as the Alpha has a dog clutch and requires a little "grinding" to put in gear. Just their nature. Let it drain just for a sec to see if you got water in the out drive and then cover it with your finger, as this stuff will come pouring out, depending on the ambient temperature. It's basically an 80 weight gear oil. You might as well go ahead and get an out drive manual fluid pump. Wally world has them. I think there is also a vent screw on top of the outdrive. If you refill, screw the filler hose in the bottom, take off the vent screw, pump until you see fluid coming out of it. Then close the vent screw and now the tricky part, unscrew the refill hose and be "Jack be nimble, Jack be quick", as you got to put the bottom screw back in before all your gear oil comes out. I usually plug the hole with my finger once I removed the refill hose and then get everything ready and get after it. I made the mistake of letting too much get out and sure enough, stripped the gears out. Got a good arshe-whooping from Dad on that one!!!! Live and learn.
One word on out drive fluid. Merc makes too kinds, the Premium and the High Performance Quicksilver. The premium is basically a dino based fluid while the High Performance is a synthetic based fluid. With that engine combination, I'd spend the bucks and go with the High Performance. That motor is pushing the limits of the Alpha drive. Anything smaller, the 3.0 or 4.3, you could comfortably get by with the Permium type. The Premium is brown colored and the High Performance is green and stinks like hell, the scent will stay with you for a while. Is it possible you could be that lucky and have a freshly rebuilt out drive loaded with High Performance gear oil and no leaks? If so, you've hit the lottery my friend!!!

hazmat5760

Seaman

That's really what I'm hoping for! :D

It keeps raining on and off today, so my plans for working on the boat are shot. Hopefully I can get back to it on Sunday.

Thanks for the help!

hazmat5760

Seaman

So I'm confused now. I was pounding on the floor looking for stringers. It all sounded hollow in the cuddy area. Isn't there supposed to be foam under there?

hazmat5760

Seaman

Thanks to craigslist, there is a good chance the orange trailer will be going away. Had a guy email me with a trailer that he wants to get rid of. It comes with a free boat. :D

Gonna see what I can salvage from the boat and maybe make some money for my current boat.

hazmat5760

Seaman

Quick little update.

The Stingray now has a proper boat trailer under here. Best thing is it ended up being free. Gave the guy $125 for the trailer, which had a 1969 seastar on it. Turned around and sold the old trailer and the seastar to a guy for $125. :D

In the process of swapping trailers, I know my boat floats and doesn't take on any water at all. May be sitting a little stern heavy, but I'm not sure how she's supposed to sit. The water was a few inches below the swim decks.

Here is the funny part of the week. My girlfriend actually incouraged me to work on the boat yesterday! Last week rained on my days off, so I wasn't able to get any work done.

So, at her suggestion, I put the new starter on. I had to jump the slave solenoid to get her to turn over, but at least she turns over with no problem. At least the slave solenoid is an easy fix!

I haven't had a chance to check the sterndrive oil for water. I'm going to go ahead and change the water pump so I'll wait for that to get in before I drain it.

Last time this boat was run was most likely 2000, so I figured changing the pump would be a safe thing to do.

Hopefully Friday I'll get spark plugs for her and get that much closer to seeing if she'll run.

I may crack the drain screw on the sterndrive just enough to see if any water comes out, just so I know for myself. :D

hazmat5760

Seaman

Boat started today, no leaks and runs great.

Now if only I had the hydraulics pump and a prop. :D

Found out, from Stingray, that the stringers are wrapped in fiberglass and the foam they used/still use is the injected expanding stuff which I guess isn't supposed to hold water.

hazmat5760

Seaman

Well, denial ain't just a river. I finally broke down and drilled some holes in the trasnsom to check for rot. I'm sure y'all can guess the result.

Time to start dismantling and getting to it. Any tips or secrets to make life easier?

I'm thinking I'll have to cut the inside wall off teh transom in order to replace it.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Now you get to yank the engine and outdrive to gain access to the transom. While all of that is out have a good look at the engine mounts and the srtinger ends and bulkhead, repair any that look suspect.

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

Where have you been? You were gonna do that last September. There are several threads here on different type of transom fixes. Plywood, seacast, niabond (sp). Taking the cap, top of the hull, off will give you access between the inner and outer. One guy used a chain saw to cut the wood out. Some have cut the inner fiberglass out. Outdrive and then motor should come out. Good luck.

hazmat5760

Seaman

6meter. Life caught up with me for a while, as did many other things. I've finally got back to where I can do things again. :D

I wasn't sure if this boat had a cap that could be taken off, or if I'd have to remove the inner wall to get to the wood.

Seacast is out of the picture for me, unless I get that promotion, but that won't be until September at the earliest.

IceWater

Seaman

Is Sea Cast that expensive? I know I will have to be replacing my deck, stringers and transom in a few years and I was planning on going with sea cast for the transom and Douglas Fir for the deck and stringers. I expect to pay a few hundred for the Douglas Fir marine grade plywood, but it's worth it because it doesn't have any voids (voids hold moisture) between layers. Douglas Fir is also what wood boat builders use for a transom because of it's strength and rot resistenance.
So how much would the sea cast be? $300? Even that is cheap when you consider how solid it is and that it would never have to be replaced again.

Here's a link on XL Marine Fir