Bringing a theft recovery back to life.

hazmat5760

Seaman
Hello all. Glad I stumbled on this site!

GF tells me that she'd like a boat that we can take on the Miss, so I start cruising craigslist. Came upon a 1988 Stingray SVS220 for $500. It was a theft recovery, but for some reason still in decent shape. All they took from the boat are three cleats, tilt/trim pump and the bilge blower. Thankfully, they took the stuff off gently, so I have no repairs to do from that.

The guy that owned it had a cornary, so when it was recovered he wasn't able to fix it up himself. He told me at the time that the engine was siezed up.

I was able to get it to turn over by hand, so that's good. The starter is shot though. I'll be ordering one of the mini starters off ebay today.

The upholstery is all shot and she was covered in moss. I didn't think to get a picture of all the moss. It's gone now thanks to my GF. She's also working on the teak right now and slowly going crazy from it.

I haven't had a chance to float it yet, but I do know that it holds water when it rains. :D

Spent a good bit of time looking for a new bench seat, but I haven't been able to find anything that will work. Guess I'll be doing that myself.

The following pics are from my cell phone. I'll get more up as we go along.
07-20-09_1818.jpg

07-20-09_1816.jpg

07-20-09_1815.jpg

07-20-09_1814.jpg

07-20-09_1813.jpg

chadelliott

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Bringing a theft recovery back to life.

That will be a nice boat when you are finished. Looks like you will have plenty to keep yourself busy in the next few months. Hopefully your GF wont mind the endless hours you will spend working on it???

Friscoboater

Captain

Ohhh man... Ummmm.... :eek: You have your work cut out for you.

Good luck man, and welcome to iboats. :)

hazmat5760

Seaman

Thanks. She's actually been spending more time on it than I have! She's the one who got all the moss off and she's the one who's been working on the teak. I've just been doing the hard dirty stuff. :D

bubba68

Cadet

this one will be a fun boat :) does it run? keep us posted

skargo

Banned

I always likes those, good luck on your restoration.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

You have quite a project!

Just some friendly advice...I'd get some bunks on that trailer before haulling it anywhere so you don't do some serious damage to the fiberglass. I'd also double check your deck, stringer and transom before you float it. Make sure you have the boat well supported should you decide to tear into anything structural. Lastly, have lots of fun working on it.

Andy in NY

Commander

that is a very interesting trailer! looks home made...

i think seeing things growing from the seats is a first for me! ive seen them grow from the deck before, but never the seats!

hazmat5760

Seaman

The boat doesn't run yet. It does turn over by hand, but the starter is dead. Ordered one today on ebay.

The trailer is homebuilt. I'll be saving up over the winter for a new/used one if I can find one I can afford.

Is there I a way I can lift the boat so I can center it on the trailer and add bunks to it?

The decking seems to be sound. How do I check the stringer and transom?

Any ideas on how to add bunks?

Thanks,
Ryan

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

you said it holds water when it rains, make it stop doing that!:eek: Pull the plug bud and jack the bow up high enough as to not leave standing water in the bilge, if she aint rotten yet, she will be if left plugged open to the rain. Nice boat though, I wouldve probably drug it home. But that trailer needs to be made back into angle iron or hammers. Getcha a new old one ans save yourself some money in the long run. Lots of nice trailers with free boats on them out there.

About checking the transom and strings, go up on the blue bar where it says search, type in core samples. Wish you luck! And I wouldnt turn that motor over with a starter without doing a full assesment and basic tune up first. At least oil, filter, new gas and a gas filter. Even if it doesnt run, you wont be out much. If it does fire and you dont do those things, you could seriously hurt the motor and wish you had. Also, no being rude but do you know that you need to use a water hose and muffs when running it out of water? I didnt when I first got my boat, thats why I bring it up. Looks nice though, the seats will be the most money unless the motor is a no go, hopefully that isnt the case as your family seems to be attached already. Marine motors are a pricey game usually not worth the trouble if she is dead.

Andy in NY

Commander

you said it holds water when it rains, make it stop doing that!:eek: Pull the plug bud and jack the bow up high enough as to not leave standing water in the bilge, if she aint rotten yet, she will be if left plugged open to the rain. Nice boat though, I wouldve probably drug it home. But that trailer needs to be made back into angle iron or hammers. Getcha a new old one ans save yourself some money in the long run. Lots of nice trailers with free boats on them out there.

About checking the transom and strings, go up on the blue bar where it says search, type in core samples. Wish you luck! And I wouldnt turn that motor over with a starter without doing a full assesment and basic tune up first. At least oil, filter, new gas and a gas filter. Even if it doesnt run, you wont be out much. If it does fire and you dont do those things, you could seriously hurt the motor and wish you had. Also, no being rude but do you know that you need to use a water hose and muffs when running it out of water? I didnt when I first got my boat, thats why I bring it up. Looks nice though, the seats will be the most money unless the motor is a no go, hopefully that isnt the case as your family seems to be attached already. Marine motors are a pricey game usually not worth the trouble if she is dead.

based on the description, its probably rotten underneath. if theres standing water, and things growing from it... theres a 90% chance it will need stringers and deck minimum and probably transom too.

hazmat5760

Seaman

She sits bow up and was where the guy was keeping it as well. I have a cover coming, but it went to the wrong address the first time around.

I already have new filters, oil and what not for the engine and a set of muffs. I tend to do a ton of research on things, usually. :D

It only sat bow down for a week here, and after every rain I'd take my farm jack and jack her up. Then I'd sit in the shade as the water drained out.

I am able to see a stringer, and she looks good. I'll be doing core samples this weekend.

hazmat5760

Seaman

I guess I never thought of the old "nice trailer with free boat." thing before.

Thanks

jonesg

Admiral

It doesn't jive for me, that sort of damage takes a few yrs to happen.

hazmat5760

Seaman

It doesn't jive for me, that sort of damage takes a few yrs to happen.

It's been sitting for a few years. Like I said, the guy had a major health issue. It was recovered in '07 and then sat as he couldn't do anything with it.

I got it for $500, so even if I put a couple thousand into it, I really don't care! :D

Schmoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THAT'S the attidude!!! Cool to see you got the kids involved as well. They will learn from it and appreciate boating that will last a life time. I hear what
Andy is saying and I'm kind of with him, the odds are you may have, at least, some stringer damage. Stingray boats are built pretty good. I'm amazed how clean the outdrive looked. I'm guessing that you live in MN and with that, comes freeze problems. Your at least looking at new boots for the outdrive. Hopefully the engine was covered. You said you changed the oil already, how did it look? Drop the gear oil from the outdrive and see if you get water coming out first, if so, rebuild it. Hook up a battery and see what all works electrically. You might luck out and save the gel coat, but will take some serious elbow grease. Like I said, Stingrays are well made boats. Get some wood blocks and take your farm jacks and get it off of that trailer. That thing makes me nervous just looking at it. Might want to run some hydraulic fluid to flush out the trim system when you get a new pump. Those lines have been opened and exposed, they probably got some good junk inside of them. Guages look like they may have been shielded from the elements and may be alright. They manual switches may need to be replaced, but that's cheap in comparison. I sure like the thru-hull exhaust. Those 350's sound simply awesome.

Schmoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THAT'S the attidude!!! Cool to see you got the kids involved as well. They will learn from it and appreciate boating that will last a life time. I hear what
Andy is saying and I'm kind of with him, the odds are you may have, at least, some stringer damage. Stingray boats are built pretty good. I'm amazed how clean the outdrive looked. I'm guessing that you live in MN and with that, comes freeze problems. Your at least looking at new boots for the outdrive. Hopefully the engine was covered. You said you changed the oil already, how did it look? Drop the gear oil from the outdrive and see if you get water coming out first, if so, rebuild it. Hook up a battery and see what all works electrically. You might luck out and save the gel coat, but will take some serious elbow grease. Like I said, Stingrays are well made boats. Get some wood blocks and take your farm jacks and get it off of that trailer. That thing makes me nervous just looking at it. Might want to run some hydraulic fluid to flush out the trim system when you get a new pump. Those lines have been opened and exposed, they probably got some good junk inside of them. Guages look like they may have been shielded from the elements and may be alright. They manual switches may need to be replaced, but that's cheap in comparison. I sure like the thru-hull exhaust. Those 350's sound simply awesome. wonder what the cuddy looks like inside? Let the GF decorate/fix that up the way she wants to, you'll be happier. Trust me.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

She'll be worth every minute you put into her... on some level. lol!

I tend to do a ton of research on things, usually.

I have seen a checklist somewhere, maybe on this site, on reviving a neglected boat. There's a priority to the steps. Try to find something like this and use it because it could really save you some heartache. Then ask here for specific "how-to-dos".

Never quit!