Brand new boat listing to port!!

ob

Admiral
Re: Brand new boat listing to port!!

suds,If the dealer and manufacturer of boat say that they are finished looking for the problem and no longer know what is wrong what is the final prognosis on the boats list.Is it still 5"-6"?If so, simply tell the dealer today that you would either like your money back or a new boat.It's just that simple.Say it calmly as getting irate will fog the issue.If he will not respond favorably, take legal action.Sounds to me from your posted info that the manufacturer is not backing the dealer in this case.<br /><br />Just for you personal info I would also contact the local BBB to see if this dealer has any unsettled complaints.Maybe there are "more" listing Searays that the public is not aware of.

MATTT

Seaman

Well, I am not going to even look at a Chaparral after this post. Add to this post, (Ford)sucks !!!! I wouldn't touch another Ford with a ten foot pole.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

I own, but would not buy again, and would not reccomend a Lake Raider Pontoon.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

Suds;<br /><br />So what happened with your situation??<br /><br />Tallman

suds

Seaman Apprentice

Have called Chaparral over and over and over and over. The will not return our calls.

ob

Admiral

What does the dealer say.Would he accept a new boat that floated crooked?How about a new SUV that leaned to one side in his driveway?Unbelievable arrogance.That's customer service at its worst.maybe Chapparal needs some public exposure.Seems shameful that any consumer would have to put up with getting put off over such a pricey item as a new boat.I guess they don't want it any more than you do.Seems these people are taking theirselves to court.Primadonnas.

Ralph 123

Captain

Time to send an ultimatum - tell them (Dealer and Mfg) they have 48 hours to get back to you with a resolution or you are going to use all means at your disposal to resolve the situation including legal and governmental.... time to prepare your nuclear weapons for launch... Call a lawyer and confer about options. Call your State's AG and find out what your options are. Call BBB and see what your options are for filing complaint.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

WOW!!<br /><br />I thought Chaparral was a pretty good boat company till now. I was actually thinking about buying one of their boats, but with customer service like that... Screw em...<br /><br />Hey Keep us posted on the situation<br /><br />Good luck and call the BBB. I would also find ever boat website on the web and post your story as well...<br /><br />Hell even make a webpage on it...<br /><br />Tallman

ob

Admiral

suds,If you still have posession of this boat try posting a pic of it floating with no occupants so we can get a better perspective of what we are defending.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Just checked out their website, being a long way form the action.<br />They seem to have a rather sexist approach...<br />Is the company run by Hugh Hefner .. Free Bimbo with each boat...LOL ??? ;) <br />But their boats DO look good.. When they aren't listing.

suds

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, we picked up this boat on the 4th of July. We went out on it that day and the day after. It then went back to the dealer where it sat in the water for a week, then they dry docked it. We picked it back up this past Saturday, took it back to our marina and it was put in inside storage. Tonight we decided to go get it out and take another look at it. Still listing, but besides that the rails on the front and at the stern are rusted. The boat has less than 10 hours on it and it's rusting. Not just a little but the whole length of the rails. I just can't figure this boat out. Some of you may be thinking these people are being picky, but believe me when we took a dry rag and rubbed it along the rail it came up orange. There's other problems with the boat, but probably to be expected. We're weighing our options, but losing the summer.

ob

Admiral

Are you saying the rails on this new boat are not made from aluminum or stainless ,but mild steel? This is getting more interesting by the moment.

suds

Seaman Apprentice

ob, the brochure says stainless. Go figure. We'll be talking to the dealer tomorrow.

ob

Admiral

Granted there are several grades of stainless,316 being one of the better ones to use as boat rails but 302 or 304 should hold up a bit longer than a few weeks before trying to return to ore.Maybe those rails are just stainless plated.316 doesn't let a magnet pull to it enough to hold on because of the higher nickel content.Try the magnet test and see what happens.I've got a Boston Whaler that has seen nothing but salt water for 8 years and the 316 rails look like they did the day I bought it.

jim phillips

Chief Petty Officer

CAN YOU GET E-MAIL ADDRESSES FOR THE DEALER AND THE BUILDER TO POST HERE and let the rest of the world e-mail the h*** out of them telling them that we heard about how bad there customer service is. Just a thought!

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

If anybody at Chaparral or the dealers visit this forum, they will know that this story has been published to at least 28502 boat enthusiasts. Within long someone at their end will figure out that 28000+ folks talking bad about them takes a pretty high pile of dollar bills in marketing, to make good - if at all possible.
29058 boating ethusiasts this minute. If Chaparral's CFO knows anything at all about customer loyalty and philosophy of sales, he has to put this right very, VERY soon.<br /><br />According to their site they're even ISO certified<br /><br />
Internationally recognized, ISO 9001:2000 certification incorporates standard practices for Quality Management systems including customer focus, leadership and continual product improvement
This is an extra argument for you (your lawyer) - load this into your arsenal as well.<br /><br />BTW: Chaparral is part of Marine Products Corp. for those who want to investigate company pedigree.<br /><br />'Customers may live very well without Chaparral, the opposite does not apply!'

seabuddy7

Cadet

djohns19 said...
Suds,<br /><br />I agree there is something wrong with it.<br /><br />Believe me, putting lemons all over it and making a spectacle is going to clam up everybody real fast. If you want a fight, that will get you one.<br /><br />The only person that will win is the lawyer, at your expense.<br /><br />Work it out. Be polite, but persistant. People do not react well to threats. They get unpredictable.
In my experience something along these lines is the fast track to getting the problem resolved. The other paths may satisfy human feelings better, but they do not quickly get you to whatever is needed to be done.<br /><br />I do not know of any lemon laws for boats. I hear rumors, check them out, and find that they do not apply to boats. This can change so someone with the time should check them out as a action plan avenue.<br /><br />If you are unhappy with his fixes, just let him know that you are unhappy. Ask the dealer what he can do for you and how fast he can do it.<br /><br />Lawyers and courts will take 18 plus months to get a trial date and may be 36 months to bring to an end. Its a long path and most that have not done it do not realize how draining, lenghty, and expensive it is.<br /><br />Its your right, but it is not the fast track.

Ralph 123

Captain

Kinda tough to tell them your unhappy when they don't even return your phone calls. :confused: <br /><br />That's what they do when they think they can get away with it. One call from a lawyer or other direct measures often breaks the log jam

Richard R

Seaman Apprentice

suds:<br /><br />Had to throw in my 2 cents worth, I'm rather new to boating, but have been dealing with issues for over 30years.<br /><br />After reading the posts above I tend to go down the middle. Agree with dJohns for a starting position but think that only works so long. Then something will be done. I know the company I work for takes care of our customers first!! For that kind of money, I would EXPECT a specific level quality, professionalism and service, doesn't sound like your getting it (your getting something but it's not mentioned above).<br /><br />If you've been to the top of the dealership, have everything documented well and still no resolve (by the way their name and location should be hung out here along with Chaparral's name) I'd say you need to check ALL available options.<br /><br />Lemon laws (love the lemon sign idea, but watch out for parking tickets, violations for parking a boat on the street), see what all of your options are before jumping in with both feet. Not a big advocate of the lawyer idea, usually they're the only ones who win, or so I've heard.. that is your call. Might try to broaden your reach with formal, courteous, but very pointed written letters, pictures etc to the sales persons, their managers and the owners. Check your local business chamber of commerce too. Just for history, check for previous complaints about this dealership. Anything to put pressure on the dealer, he's your middle man.<br /><br />A note about the rusting.. if Chaparral's brochures state one thing and you can prove it's something else, that could be an issue in it's self. FYI, aluminum is completely non magnetic, 300 series (316, 304, 303 ect ) stainless is for the most part non magnetic. Try a magnet on the rails you shouldn't have any "bite" that you can feel. If they turn out to be steel, something is WAY wrong. Maybe a bad repair during shipping.. who knows?<br /><br />Good luck,

L Christopher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As an owner of a Chaparral I am disapointed in what they are putting you through and it makes me wonder how good my 5 year hull warrenty is. With this kind of customer noservice that JD Powers award they scream about will not last long.