Brakes/Pep Boys

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
A month ago I dropped my van off at Pep Boys to have a Tune-up, front alignment,new tires, and to fix a belt squeal noise. The Belt Squeal is the main reason I took it in. In the process they told me I needed new brake pads. I said fine, but don't change the rotors, because they are less than a year old (on their computer) and should be fine. Remind you that I had no brake problems at all prior to this service call. This van is a E250 w/300-6 cyl. Well, the van still cranks awhile (10-15 secs) prior to starting (so that didn't get fixed) The new tires (what can go wrong here) was okay. The engine noise they said was the belt tensioner pulley bearings. They said it would be a week to get in and 3 hours to change. I told them that I'll live with the noise longer. This is my work truck, being a service tech for Americas leading resturant chain servicing 9 stores, it keeps me busy 24/7. I can't be without my truck. You all gota have your fries, shakes, and burgers when you order them, and expect the fast service. So when something breaks, I gota be there for the repair. So this first time in the shop, they had it for 2 work days plus the weekend. Picked it up, I know the noise was going to be there. Performance was as before which was fine, but just 3 hours after picking it up, started pulling hard right. Took it back in, they broke the right side brake line and said it had collapsed and needed replaced anyway. So they replace both brake lines, another 3 day workweek wait. Later that day it started pulling to the left. Returned next day, caliper bad, they had it in stock so I only had a 2 hour delay that day. Next day it started pulling to the right again. Called them a said a few very select words on their ability to trouble shoot problems. By the way, I put on a brand new tensioner assembly direct from Ford. It is the power steering pump that is bad. So that is another trouble shooting job that they failed to be correct on. They told me to bring it in again to fix the pulling problem. Took it in and of course they told me it was the right caliper. I told them no! I told them it can't be that there has to be something else that is bad and that I didn't think the hoses were bad, the rotors, and the calipers. I asked them, I guess if that caliper dosen't fix it, it will be the master cylinder, and if that isn't it, the only thing is left is the brake pedal! and you would probably replace it to. <br />After this ordeal, I told them that is it. I have had problems with tire/rim rotation with snow tires (Put snow tires on front of rear wheel drive van?), they caved in the rockers on my 72 Bradley GT, kinked radiator hose that caused an overheat problem, warped brand new rotors on my wifes Intrepid, and messed up my boat motor that they ordered for me. It takes only 2 weeks normal delievery to get a rebuilt motor in. After 3 weeks, I asked them for a status, it was not ordered! I was :mad: Still April so no big deal. 3 weeks later-status factory lost the order, 2weeks they call and said they confirmation on it being shipped. Another week. It arrives, load it up, get home, son asks why does it say Chevy 350 TRUCK engine? Ah S--t! not again! Called, manager says it will work, I said no It won't. He assured me it was okay. So I unwrap a begin to prep. Phone rings 20 min. later, DON'T Install that engine. So I load it up, Had to wait for them to receive the engine at the factory before sending out my marine engine. Another week, confirmation that Recon rec'vd engine. They projected that the engine would be ready to ship in 10 days. At this point I'm in tears. I have plans every year to attend the Xmas in July party on the lake nearby. I finally got my correct engine just after the 4th of July. And then the front freeze out plug on the front of the block leaked due to a gouge that was created with a chisel when they removed it. Pep boys did GIVE me a rubber expanison plug that did work fine plus a written statement that they would be responsible for any damage due to the expansion plug failing. But it took almost 3 months to get what I ordered.<br />Needless to say, I am no longer a patron of Pep Boys.<br />So to shorten this up, My question is this "Is there a proportion control valve in the brake system that balances pressure to the calipers? Because, one day it will pull to the right, next day it will pull to the left. And sometimes it will switch throughout the day. If it is, then this has been the culprit the whole time, and has cost over $2K.<br />Has anyone else had problems with Pep Boys? :mad: I just enjoy being :) Thanks

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Brakes/Pep Boys

My gawd!!!<br />That is one messed-up place. I can tell you NONE of the PepBoys in this town are like that (that I know of), amd it reaks of total incompetence!!<br />Turn them in to the BBB, or local chamber of commerce as soon as is practical, because you are one out of how many customers... And you can bank on a good majority of thier customers are getting the same treatment.<br />To answer your question, yes..There IS a differential valve in your truck..But 2 grand?? Chile please!!!<br />It is a block of aluminum with pistons in it,much like shock absorbers.<br />I am unsure about your truck, but I have never paid more than 60 bukz for one.<br />This problem you are experiancing can be caused by the pressure equalizer, but given this "shop's" record, I would bet it is merely caused by air in the system from inproperly bled brakes.<br />Take it to a brake shop,and ask them to blead the system. Do not tell them what you have been thru. Only you should know that.<br />This way, if the new shop tries to feed you a story, you can politely tell them where to stick it.<br />Good luck, and keep them fries commin,Mayfloat :)

D

DJ

The proportioning valve balances front/rear braking, not side to side.<br /><br />Your radius arm bushings are worn out. When you step on the brake, the radius arms shift and effectively change your camber, thus the pull.

D

DJ

SS Mayfloat,<br /><br />Thinking more about this. Does the pull while braking alternate from side to side sometimes? Meaning, will it pull one way at one stop and the other way on another stop? If so, look at the radius arms as previously mentioned.<br /><br />If it always pulls to one side-here's what I'd look at:<br /><br />1. You mentioned alignment. This is critical on twin I-beam suspensions. Too much negative camber causes pulls on that suspension, while braking, aggrevated by worn suspension components.<br /><br />2. Calipers. Did the shop possibly put two different style calipers in. One may have phenolic (plastic) pistons and the other steel. The phenolic pistons are more prone to sticking in the bore.<br /><br />3. Rotors: are they the same, side to side?<br />OEM rotors and aftermarket rotors are DIFFERENT. They displace heat at different rates.<br /><br />Replacing one caliper and/or rotor at a time is asking for this type of concern. Brake work should always be duplicated side to side.<br /><br />They SHOULD know that. :confused:

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Pep Boys on my Bradley GT finally knocked off $100 for the damage to my rockers. (They were just sheetmetal extensions, easily remanufactured)<br />On the Marine engine, I bought it through them on their 6 months same as cash, plus 10% off on your first purchase with their Credit Card. They first quoted me 1600 for the engine, with the discount, it dropped to 1460. Then with the error on loosing the order, They dropped another $100 making it 1360. Then after it turned out to be the wrong engine, they knocked another $150 off, but since they had quoted me the wrong price in the beginning, the marine engine was surpose to have been $2200. So now they want to change the price back to 2200 with subtracting the discounts from that figure. Knowing a little bit about quoteing prices, that if it costs more, it cant't exceed 25% of the quote. I explained to them what was up and they did their research on what I told them. They had to sell me the engine at $2000 vs.2200. So by the time all was done with, I paid $1550, which still is not a bad price for a 350 marine engine with new crank, pistons, valve train on recon heads. It was the waiting that was the hard part. Just about like waiting for parts for a Suzuki!<br />Those that I know around here that has problems with PeP Boys is getting together to have them overhaul their shop. We all know it is not the management because they do try to make things right with the customer when things go wrong. We tend to know that it is the mechanics that are lacking the ability to think out of the box on all troubleshooting whcih has blackend their reputation. They need to get rid of the parts changers and get good mechanics. There is a big diference between the two.<br />For my Trucks sake, I'm taking it to the Ford dealership. They are going to change the power steering pump and hoses to get rid of the squeal. It is so loud at times a person could almost think I had a siren on! You can't even hear the radio when it is turned up all the way.<br />I'm thinking djohns is onto something about the radius. Occassionaly when turning the wheels to the stop block and turn them back to center, I can hear a pop like a coil spring is broke. Its not broke because I did look at them to see. Anyway, after giving the 2 grand to Pepboys for work done, my boss said they will pick up the tab on geting the truck fixed at Ford. They are going to check out my truck next Saturday, get the parts in through the week, and then install them on the following weekend. This way I won't loose any time for my sevice calls. Pepboys didn't offer to do that even when I suggested it. It took several McDonalds meal vouchers to get the Ford guys to work on the weekend though!<br />I'll do a post later on the let you know how things turn out. I know when it comes to towing my 8,000lbs of boat and trailer, I have got to be able to stop. I have surge brakes on the trailer, but those that have them know that at gradual braking, the tow vehicle does the majority of the braking power. Eventually I am going to put a electric brake axle on to aid in gradual braking. My next truck will be a 1 ton diesel! <br />Thanks again, You all have a great day!

D

DJ

Mayfloat,<br /><br />Also have them look at ball joints-particularly lowers.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

All the ball joints were replaced when Pep boys did the front alignment. But I know that dosen't mean that they are okay. We all have purchased brand new stuff that is either bad, won't fit, wrong color, boxed wrong, or just what you didn't order. You know the Murphys law of ordering. :D