Bought my first boat to tinker on. Looking for advice

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I am not sure what you are referring to
Hi,
So I get the motor questioning. Your real efforts should be focused on the integrity of the boats wood structures, stringers, cross members and transom. Those determinations will tell you what real work lies ahead of you. Some of your pics from the stern area already show rot that will lead to a total structure rehab.
We do it every day here! All good.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lots of valuable input thus far!!! Very minimal criticism as well, so thank you all for your responses! I have just recently focused my attention slightly elsewhere in order to be able to focus my attention on the boat sooner than later. I went to Harbor Freight a couple days ago and made a big purchase on one of those 12' X 20' portable garages. I have to say that that bad boy was extremely heavy. definitely could have used a 2nd person's help to put it up, But for the most part, I got er done. I still have the last stages of assembly to complete, but that will have to wait another couple days when I am not working again. The good thing about this, is as soon as the garage was fully covered, it immediately got warm enough in there to melt all the snow and ice! Another perk of this garage, remove the boat and it will double as a great party tent when I have guests over this summer! LOL
I also purchased a propane heater for those really cold days so I can still work out there this winter.

As I was assembling ceiling bolts, I did so while walking around inside the now thawed out boat yesterday. I did notice that the flooring was a piece of linoleum ( I believe ) that was cut out to fit the deck. Not sure why the last owner went with that as an option. It was very warped, bubbly and bouncy, so it was difficult to tell which part of the floor was actually rot and which was the flooring, as I have never tested a rotten floor before. I was able to finally remove the ski locker lid after being frozen shut. The underside of the cover looked pretty decent actually. I could be wrong, as it was damp, but it was a pretty mahogany color. I could not see any of the stringers, however the cross beams (Not sure what they are actually called) looked like the same pretty color as the ski locker cover.

I did receive a response from the last owner who said that he put new stringers and deck in a year ago but never glassed over them. I do not know how believable that statement is, because looking at the cross beams, they already have multiple tiny cut marks across their edges, telling me that this boat has possibly had multiple decks ripped up and replaced over the years with no attention paid to the stringers. What are your thoughts on that statement? I will still do my due diligence and see what I can see. I will post pics when I have a free day again. I will be finally starting the hard part of cleaning out the boat on Friday, followed by removing the seats, bases and stripping her all down to the deck.

By the way, now that I am thinking of it, for future reference, is it necessary to have a ski locker or could I decide to get rid of it? Pros/cons?

Chris51280

Ensign
bulkheads go from left to right and stringers front to rear. Bare wood installed about a year ago and the way the boat looks like left in the open, most likely trashed it. That's like saying I repaired the rusted out fenders on the car but haven't painted it. Linoleum doesnt help but only trap moisture underneath. The seats were probably screwed into the deck without sealing it. another way water gets under the deck.
The ski locker cover is made out of teak and that is the only wood in the boat that's not rotten. Ski locker is probably the best storage that a boat can have. you can never have enough of that. Ever seen new boats and how genius they are with how to get the most storage space?

aspeck

Staff member
No, it is not necessary to have a ski locker, but storage is always a premium on a boat. You will want somewhere to store additional supplies so they are not littering the deck.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Ski lockers are great for storing fenders, an oar, etc. Be a shame to lose it... as others have said, storage on a boat is precious space.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
bulkheads go from left to right and stringers front to rear. Bare wood installed about a year ago and the way the boat looks like left in the open, most likely trashed it. That's like saying I repaired the rusted out fenders on the car but haven't painted it. Linoleum doesnt help but only trap moisture underneath. The seats were probably screwed into the deck without sealing it. another way water gets under the deck.
The ski locker cover is made out of teak and that is the only wood in the boat that's not rotten. Ski locker is probably the best storage that a boat can have. you can never have enough of that. Ever seen new boats and how genius they are with how to get the most storage space?
Thanks for the lesson! And I agree....Don't get why someone would put new wood in and not properly coat it. Waste of money in my opinion. didn't think about using the ski locker as storage. That's a good idea!

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yup..I agree. More storage would be ideal. just figured it would alleviate excess water getting under there.

briangcc

Commander
As long as there is a drain in the bulkhead for the ski locker for the water to travel to the bilge, it will be a non-issue.

As others said, having 3 boys, storage is a must on a boat - can't have enough. I store oars, spare bumpers, cover support poles and the kids' kick boards for when they want to swim off the boat.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here's my progress so far. I finished up the new garage. I threw my new propane heater in there and boy! Does it ever get toasty even on its lowest setting! I got all the seats out.....tore out the sides and ripped up most of the carpeting. Found a stern light in the process! Wonder if it works!. Good amount of rot under the seats. Will salvage what I can for a template. I Found out why the floor in the bow was su bouncy.... there were 3 layers of flooring..... not so certain that it was actually linoleum.... but I'm not a fan either way. The top layer ripped up then there was a middle layer glassed in on the sides...... and under that was the bottom later just laying there not secured in.. removing the right side piece.....I accidentally broke the plastic face plate on the throttle. There is also black plexiglass on the side pieces with the maxum emblem on them. I accidentally broke the right piece. I am not sure what their function is. Do you think I could just get rid of them when replacing the side?

So what do you think? What are my next steps? Start cutting the deck up or is there more to do? I am not sure how to get the seat bases out of there. I think they might be glassed in.

20240201_151758.jpg20240201_154747.jpg20240201_155049.jpg20240201_155058.jpg20240201_163641.jpg20240201_163657.jpg20240201_163709.jpg20240201_163721.jpg20240201_164139.jpg20240201_164145.jpg20240201_164155.jpg20240201_154735.jpg

20240201_140739.jpg

Attachments

• 20240201_151750.jpg
    20240201_151750.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
lots of chopping and digging ahead ,
get some proper PPE before moving on!.

seat mounts can be chopped out , save them as templates.

get all the rotted crap out , get all the POs works out and start from scratch .

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
One thing ive seen is to ensure you support the hull well enough to keep its shape. Good chance you will have to decapitate the hull aka take the top part of the hull off and the bottom will flatten out.

Chris51280

Ensign
Your bulkheads look to be wrong. wrong wood, wrong location. It looks like there are just 2x10 boards going across to support the opening because the structure is compromised.
Can you show the plastic you broke? Once you start grinding, use a tyvek suit gloves, googles and a P100 mask.

1706875859211.png

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
lots of chopping and digging ahead ,
get some proper PPE before moving on!.

seat mounts can be chopped out , save them as templates.

get all the rotted crap out , get all the POs works out and start from scratch .
POs works?