Bought my first boat to tinker on. Looking for advice

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Is a tyvek suit a one and done kind of thing?
if it fits right and you don't rip it you can re-use them
you REALLY don't want to breath in fiberglass dust, or get it in your eyes
also some people get skin sensitivity to resins especially epoxy and then it becomes like an allergy, welts, hives etc.
this is the main reason why I'll never to another resto
maybe small repairs but that's it
Once, 15+ years ago, was enough.
For my next boat if I can't afford at most 5 years old, I'm not doing boating.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Is a tyvek suit a one and done kind of thing?
I was able to wear them several times. After grinding fiberglass, I'd blow off the suit with an air gun while I was still suited up, and then I was able to reuse the suits several times. I usually would only break out a new one when I got a tear or I abraded a hole in the one I was wearing. The feet, elbows and knees seemed to wear out most quickly.

Chris51280

Ensign
Just bought another glass boat myself. It's been years. There will be times you want to make a really big fire pit. Take your time, ask questions and do it right. Eventually you will be rewarded. I did a couple over the years without splitting the deck from the hull. I've also turned a few roller trailers into bunks. Easy stuff.
Get a good oscillating tool. Grinders make alot more dust, but can be faster. Shop vac nozzle as you work helps alot as does an exhaust fan. An old furnace blower works well. I adapted a 5" hose to one. Keep small chilren and pets away from it. A good fiberglass roller makes the work alot easier also.
Forget the motor for now as suggested. Unless a great deal comes along. Get the floor out and start fresh. Just from the pics I would say your looking at removing the previous owners handywork. Make sure any and all wood is 100% sealed. Marine grade is expensive, but I believe worth it in the end.
The Force engine is known as the worst motor ever manufactured by many. Previously known as Chrysler. Known as the second worse motor. Merc bought them at one point. People I know that own them to this day are simply stubborn. I wont go on the water with them, but have taken many calls to come get them off the water. lol
Good luck and have fun with it.
ACX ply is plenty good. most boat builders do not use marine ply either.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
First stumper... I've got these back boards in the opposite side of the driver's side and passenger side consoles. They are on there solid in the inside. How do I cut that out without going through the top of the boat?

Attachments

• 20240202_132422.jpg
    20240202_132422.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240202_132441.jpg
    20240202_132441.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • 17069122536303147561951305785380.jpg
    17069122536303147561951305785380.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 17069122828338027090456519871898.jpg
    17069122828338027090456519871898.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 17069123049098109156366595271292.jpg
    17069123049098109156366595271292.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 15

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here's the plastic pieces that I accidentally broke. Is that black plexiglass something that I need in the boat? I don't know what it's function is.

Attachments

• 20240202_132441.jpg
    20240202_132441.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240202_132422.jpg
    20240202_132422.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240202_133258.jpg
    20240202_133258.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

tpenfield

Staff member
You’ll have to look around to figure out how some of the side panels are attached.

often the fasteners are on the back side or otherwise hidden

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
You’ll have to look around to figure out how some of the side panels are attached.

often the fasteners are on the back side or otherwise hidden
Oh I was able to rip them all out fairly easily. Almost all of them are rotted. The screws went right through the wood lol. And for the most part they were hidden and not screwed from behind.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
you are going to find things in older boats that were screwed or fitted before the deck was attached , i found some of this with my Maxum , option was to just get it out as best and in as least pieces as possible , reason being is for use as templates , when time come to reinstall i just used some small dabs of 5200 glue rather that trying to access to put screws back
now on that note , keep as much hardware like screws and fittings that you can , those things can get costly and sometimes hard to acquire , plastics ice cream tubs make good storage , all the hardware for individual stuff in zip locks , then in retrospective tubs with lids on and marked..

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
worry about getting it all out now, breaking sh... along the way will happen. We'll help you put it back when the time is upon you.

I have to say, i've been following this thread with a bit of morbid curiosity.

You obviously have zero knowledge of boats but you seem to have a functioning brain and most importantly also seem to be listening to people (much smarter than me) that are pointing you in the right direction. Most folks that start asking about a resto will have some boat knowledge or they disappear after three posts when the realize what they are up against.

I'm asking you to pledge to us all that you will see this thru the launch or the day you set it on fire. I think i speak for many here that we will need closure on this one...

be well.

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
As you probably have figured out. You’ve got a complete resto project here. Lots of knowledge being given. From PPE to what wood to use for replacement And everything else in between.
The plastic maxum piece is decorative. You can replace with black plexiglass or even painted wood. The other plastic piece is your throttle cover. You could try and repair. Fiberglass the back side and reuse. Or find a used replacement throttle. But that’s waaaaay down the road.

take lots of pictures and measurements as you cut out parts. Keep the parts in tact as much as possible. As mentioned before you can use those as templates for your rebuild.
definitely bag and label screws and fittings. Stainless steel screws( which must be used when rebuilding) will get expensive.

one word of caution-when using the propane heater in an enclosed area. make sure you have fresh air coming in. I used one in my shed( 24x12) and almost passed out do to carbon monoxide poisoning.

good luck.

tpenfield

Staff member
It looks like you will be wanting/needing to re-upholster the seats and side panels. Re-upholstery will be about the same cost as the structural restoration, perhaps more.

I count 24 'pieces' of upholstery based on your pictures. A complete upholstery job could run about $7K.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
worry about getting it all out now, breaking sh... along the way will happen. We'll help you put it back when the time is upon you.

You obviously have zero knowledge of boats but you seem to have a functioning brain and most importantly also seem to be listening to people (much smarter than me) that are pointing you in the right direction. Most folks that start asking about a resto will have some boat knowledge or they disappear after three posts when the realize what they are up against.

I'm asking you to pledge to us all that you will see this thru the launch or the day you set it on fire.
if all goes bad and no splash happens ( which i hope it does) a vid of a Tannerite explosion will make a fitting end to the thread :)

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm asking you to pledge to us all that you will see this thru the launch or the day you set it on fire. I think i speak for many here that we will need closure on this one...

be well.
🤣🤣🤣 this comment made me laugh! You are correct... zero knowledge.... so if it helps to understand me a little better... here's a little insight into my back story.... simply put....I am high functioning on the autism spectrum. That comes with impulsive thoughts. And impulsive spending habits. I work a job that pays well so that enables me to have a little extra money when it comes to fun money needed. I have always enjoyed working with my hands.... fixing things also also have an ocd like mentality when it comes to starting large projects.... they have to get done or i won't stop thinking about them.....

there are a couple mottos that I've applied to my life that are very relevant here as well...

1. If at first you don't succeed...try... try again.
2. You may see me struggle.... but you'll never see me quit.

Put that all together.... and you've got a wacky individual who will spend any expense to see a project through.

be well.
So no knowledge... but I'm willing and eager to learn in the process. I will face whatever obstacles I come across and do everything in my power to see this through. As long as I can continue to get support and answers to my many questions....I will continue to work on this. I have no choice... boat is in my name and I've already spent about 1500 so far lol. I'm committed now!

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It looks like you will be wanting/needing to re-upholster the seats and side panels. Re-upholstery will be about the same cost as the structural restoration, perhaps more.

I count 24 'pieces' of upholstery based on your pictures. A complete upholstery job could run about $7K.
100 % agree , upholstery works are expensive and can be a bit daunting when a build is starting, which is why i put all the seats and trim in the back shed 'out out sight out of mind so to speak.
the white / beige trim on my boat was badly sun damaged, carpet was mildewed and some cracking on the seat seams.
the quotes i was getting were around 3 and 5 k "" scary'' .
my missus said she would foot the bill so as the boat could have a nice interior.
when the build /restoration was almost completed i dragged it all out and assessed what could be salvaged and what was totally trashed, turns out it was not that bad after all once i pressure washed and scrubbed everything. with some vinyl paint , some stitching and contact glue bought it to a usable state , in fact it is still like that now ,it looks a bit industrial and i kind of like it like that , good thing is "as its a family boat" we don't stress about dirty feet , sand or the kids being told not to walk on the seats for fear it will get damaged. makes a good fishing platform too :).

Last edited:

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
As you probably have figured out. You’ve got a complete resto project here. Lots of knowledge being given. From PPE to what wood to use for replacement And everything else in between.
The plastic maxum piece is decorative. You can replace with black plexiglass or even painted wood. The other plastic piece is your throttle cover. You could try and repair. Fiberglass the back side and reuse. Or find a used replacement throttle. But that’s waaaaay down the road.

take lots of pictures and measurements as you cut out parts. Keep the parts in tact as much as possible. As mentioned before you can use those as templates for your rebuild.
definitely bag and label screws and fittings. Stainless steel screws( which must be used when rebuilding) will get expensive.

one word of caution-when using the propane heater in an enclosed area. make sure you have fresh air coming in. I used one in my shed( 24x12) and almost passed out do to carbon monoxide poisoning.

good luck.
Thanks! I was worried about that as well. I have it by the entrance and leave one side of the door unzipped. Seems to be sufficient ventilation.

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Tannerite, lol
Keep an eye out for parts boats. Might get a decent interior. I see glass boats sitting on the ground behind dealers all the time. Boat recyclers is a good place to look for anything. New motor new controls. Dont worry about the plastic from the controller.
Years ago I approached a local builder and bought new sleeper seats with boxes and various edge trims, guages, helm with cables. My boat was gutted so I ended up with whole different color interior.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class

24 pieces sounds about right. And as far as upholstery goes..... my dad used to own his own upholstery business and taught me a thing or 2.....I will most likely be utilizing his help down the line if I can't fix it myself. I've done a couple reupholstery jobs myself already and they turned out decent. This will be my largest yet but I'm looking forward to it.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tannerite, lol
Keep an eye out for parts boats. Might get a decent interior. I see glass boats sitting on the ground behind dealers all the time. Boat recyclers is a good place to look for anything. New motor new controls. Dont worry about the plastic from the controller.
Years ago I approached a local builder and bought new sleeper seats with boxes and various edge trims, guages, helm with cables. My boat was gutted so I ended up with whole different color interior.
Great idea! I'll keep an eye out for that!