Bought my first boat to cut, gut and rebuild from bow to stern, including engine. Killed my back and suffered the wrath of the fiberglass demons

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Assuming you loaded from phone, did you post from there as well of like this old guy then use laptop?

TripleJGraffis

Chief Petty Officer
You kids and yer phones....
Gotta get with the times old timer😂
LOL to be fair, I do have a laptop....I just use it for my other hobby. It is just easier to use a phone in my opinion......But I do remember the days of snapping pics with a camera and attaching the cables and to upload the pics to a computer. I still do that from time to time.

TripleJGraffis

Chief Petty Officer
Ran into a bit of a road block.....I went back to the fiberglass guy here in town to see if her could sell me some more products, and he refused to do so as he is getting out of the business of selling products to individuals.....He did however reference Express Composites as a good alternative company who can get me what I want and that the website is super user friendly.... Anyone have any experience working with them? I checked the site out and could not find 1708. They did however have a butt load of products including 1808, but I am unsure if that is anything similar. Is there another product that is similar to 1708? Looks like for a 5 gallon pail of resin, 5 yds of csm, 5 yds of 1808 and a bucket of cabosil, I will have to pay just over 430.00 for everything including shipping....which is less than what I can get all that stuff for off Amazon.... I guess that isn't too horrible.

Thoughts?
1726092521912.png

Kilken

Recruit
Hey! Same here. Too much energy. Bought an old 22' starcraft aluminum. Taking everything out and hopefully not going crazy.

TripleJGraffis

Chief Petty Officer
Hey! Same here. Too much energy. Bought an old 22' starcraft aluminum. Taking everything out and hopefully not going crazy.
Hi! 2 days on the forum I see! Welcome! Nice to meet a new fellow boating enthusiast! But I have to ask....What is to much energy? Are you responding to an earlier post?

Look forward to your posts!

TripleJGraffis

Chief Petty Officer
Progress is slow... but it's still progress. I finished fileting in the stringers yesterday and tabbed in ½ of the outside of the starboard stringer. I hadn't been noticing that my resin is kicking alot quicker than normal. Could this be because of the age? Either way....I think it's safe to say that it's time for new resin because I'm at the bottom of the tub and the resin inside has so many hard bits floating around inside. I ordered some new products from express composites as they seemed to have the best bang for my buck. I checked with other suppliers but i liked these guys the best. I was originally going to order another 5 gallon tub but the shipping provider says 5 gallon tubs are considered hazardous material and charge extra...... so for the same price....I was able to buy 5 one gallon tubs...... that aren't deemed hazardous. I got 5 yards of 1808....5 yards of csm....5 gallons of resin.....50 measuring cups and an mekp measuring dispenser... and one other item I believe..... all in all it was just over 500.00 shipped. Will do what I can with that I've got today but until that resin arrives..... I'm limited on my glass work. I did start making templates for new bulkheads so I might work more on that today.

Question.... do I filled them onto bare wood stringers now and glass in a one whole unit..... or do I wait till the stringers are glassed and then put them in so there's a layer of protection between the joints if the bulkhead ever gets saturated???

So gotta say that I was able to enjoy the boat in a different capacity last night. I was able to clean up alot of old wood and old bulkheads from the construction and deconstruction of her and enjoy them in my fire pit! Lol

Attachments

• 20240918_162957.jpg
    20240918_162957.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240918_163008.jpg
    20240918_163008.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240918_163056.jpg
    20240918_163056.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240919_082853_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20240919_082853_Snapchat.jpg
    878.6 KB · Views: 7

Pmt133

Chief Petty Officer
What are your ambient temperatures? I noticed my resin kicks a lot faster at 80Fthan 75F. At 85F I get 15 minutes of work time at 1% MEKP and 90F+ is very difficult...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
If you want to glass up your wood components 1st on a work table then set in pb with spacer and all that's left is tabbing. Much easier to do flat work.

TripleJGraffis

Chief Petty Officer
What are your ambient temperatures? I noticed my resin kicks a lot faster at 80Fthan 75F. At 85F I get 15 minutes of work time at 1% MEKP and 90F+ is very difficult...
I'm not sure.... whatever three outside temp is at...... it's inside a portable garage.... and I had left the resin out there instead of in my basement. I'm hoping as it gets cooler... it'll work slower and fine me more time before kicking off.

TripleJGraffis

Chief Petty Officer
If you want to glass up your wood components 1st on a work table then set in pb with spacer and all that's left is tabbing. Much easier to do flat work.
I might do that with the bulkheads. Thanks! What do you say on my other question? Should pb into bare stringer wood and glass over or glass over the stringers first and then pb in to give it that barrier just in case?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I'm not sure.... whatever three outside temp is at...... it's inside a portable garage.... and I had left the resin out there instead of in my basement. I'm hoping as it gets cooler... it'll work slower and fine me more time before kicking off.
You can also use less mek

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I might do that with the bulkheads. Thanks! What do you say on my other question? Should pb into bare stringer wood and glass over or glass over the stringers first and then pb in to give it that barrier just in case?
No the glass should overlap all corners and joints.