Bought my first boat to cut, gut and rebuild from bow to stern, including engine. Killed my back and suffered the wrath of the fiberglass demons

TripleJGraffis

Chief Petty Officer
No the glass should overlap all corners and joints.
Yes. Glass will overlap either way. I was asking if I should put bare wood to bare wood and glass over, or put bare wood bulkheads to glassed over stringers and then glass in both together to create that anti moisture barrier between the bulkhead and the stringer.

TripleJGraffis

Chief Petty Officer
Meant to post this Thursday

Past 2 days has been slow on the boat. Got some damn bone spurs in my spine acting up and bending over is painful, so as far as glasswork goes, I was only able to fillet in both stingers completely, and was able to tab 2 layers of 1708 on the entire length of the outside of the starboard stringer as well as 2 layers of tabbing on the interior of 1/2 of the starboard stringer. After that , my back just wouldn't have any more. Got my new product from Express composites already a day after processed the order! and that was with their cheapest shipping option! That was quick! I didn't want to stop working but couldn't stay in that position in the boat, so I started working on a 2nd restoration project.....I am going to rest for a while and try to get back at it. Got a couple vacation days this weekend. If I am not busy and I feel up for it, I will try to get back out there again.

TripleJGraffis

Chief Petty Officer
Been resting/ doing very light work but nothing significant. Saw a doctor. X-rays taken.....Herniated disc in my back....Yippy. On some steroids to help with inflammation and will start Physical Therapy soon. Not giving up on this boat though.....I am hopefully going to be out there again this Wednesday and Thursday.

aspeck

Staff member
Agree with Brian.

And I have to say, I looked at the title of this thread, and you, sir, are doing way more than tinkering on your first boat ... maybe you should think about changing the title to "Bought my first boat to totally gut and rebuild from bow to stern, including engine and looking for advice" :eek::D:p

TripleJGraffis

Chief Petty Officer
Agree with Brian.

And I have to say, I looked at the title of this thread, and you, sir, are doing way more than tinkering on your first boat ... maybe you should think about changing the title to "Bought my first boat to totally gut and rebuild from bow to stern, including engine and looking for advice" :eek::D:p
'And killed my back along the way'
Ya know what, you are 100% correct!!! I also love this title!!! I am totally changing it to this if I can figure out how!!!!😂😂😂😂
Take care of yourself first. Boat will happen in time.

Will do! I will not overexert myself, but at the same time, if I am feeling up to it and not having too much pain, I am 100% going to be productive...even if it means standing instead of bending over, and tinkering on my engine or playing with my new(to me) homemade sandblasting cabinet and cleaning up my (also new to me) vintage air horn that I got for the boat! It's currently the only functioning item I have for the boat, aside from my used trolling motor😂😂

TripleJGraffis

Chief Petty Officer
Agree with Brian.

Changing it to:
Bought my first boat to cut, gut and rebuild from bow to stern, including engine. Killed my back and suffered the wrath of the fiberglass demons along the way. Looking for advice.

But how do I edit the title? Or do I just create a new thread and share the link to this one in the comments?

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The OP decided to apply some marketing to the forum title? Are you a salesman?

Need a new annual forum award for best forum topic title name created now.

That way there's some competition on creative thought before posting

Joshgeorge

Recruit
I guess I haven’t been reading threads on here in a while, not that I ever comment either, but I’m local to express composites, they’re great people to deal with. I’m guessing you’re in Wisconsin somewhere with that fast shipping times! Looking forward to more progress when you’re feeling better!

TripleJGraffis

Chief Petty Officer
I guess I haven’t been reading threads on here in a while, not that I ever comment either, but I’m local to express composites, they’re great people to deal with. I’m guessing you’re in Wisconsin somewhere with that fast shipping times! Looking forward to more progress when you’re feeling better!
Thank you!! I am feeling better and was going to work on the boat yesterday and today... but now the city is having other plans and progress is slowed