Bottom paint situation... need advice

iop

Petty Officer 2nd Class
long story short:

Got boat with factory gel coat on bottom.
Keeping boat in slip up in NY. had a pro job sadning and prepping hull for bottom paint and bottom paint applied.
After 2 seasons in slip the 96' bravo 3 drive corroded and had to be repaired... ( $1500 )... ouch!!
Moved to SC and traliering the boat now.

So it looks like I will never have this boat in the drink long enough to need bottom paint.

So now the bottom anti-fouling is in a stage where it needs to be repainted... some areas are exposing the black and grey "under-paint".
It would be silly to repaint with anti-fouling.

Should I power wash off the rest of it... and then use what to repaint??

thanks for any advice!!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bottom paint situation... need advice

What kind of primer was used? If you can power wash the AF paint off (unlikely), and the primer is suitable, I would recommend a one part marine polyurethane paint, as a top coat. if you cannot remove all the AF paint, you will need to repaint with AF paint, or the new paint will fall off.

iop

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What kind of primer was used? If you can power wash the AF paint off (unlikely), and the primer is suitable, I would recommend a one part marine polyurethane paint, as a top coat. if you cannot remove all the AF paint, you will need to repaint with AF paint, or the new paint will fall off.

I should be able to remove the AF paint with a power washer... I mean it "wants" to come off ;) every time I touch it it jumps on me.

Is there specific brands of marine poly paints you recommned??

iop

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What kind of primer was used?

From what i can see...
Its a hard, gray primer... by hard I mean it wont scrape off with my fingernail...
On top of that is some black paint... and then the blue AF.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello iop..

Sounds like your pro put on some "barrier" coating ( gray stuff ) before he bottom painted.

He probably missed his hot coat window and now its falling off..

Pressure wash the crap outa it and get whatever is loose Off as you can.

If it is Indead an epoxy coated boat..you dont really want to sand it all off lol.. ( its supposed to be 10 mils thick and will take some time getting it back to substrate )

So.. pressure wash.. then your going to have to sand with 80 grit your bottom before you put your AF on.

I suggest VC myself..but its your call..

YD.

PS TO MODS. WHY did this get moved here ?? should be back in boat resto repairs.. IMHO..

iop

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello iop..

Sounds like your pro put on some "barrier" coating ( gray stuff ) before he bottom painted.

He probably missed his hot coat window and now its falling off..

Pressure wash the crap outa it and get whatever is loose Off as you can.

If it is Indead an epoxy coated boat..you dont really want to sand it all off lol.. ( its supposed to be 10 mils thick and will take some time getting it back to substrate )

So.. pressure wash.. then your going to have to sand with 80 grit your bottom before you put your AF on.

I suggest VC myself..but its your call..

YD.

PS TO MODS. WHY did this get moved here ?? should be back in boat resto repairs.. IMHO..

Hey YD!!

No no... the grey stuff is fine and is not peeling or cracking anywhere.
The Blue AF is slowly getting "ugly" I guess as its supposed to. There is also a layer of black paint between the AF and the primer. Normally I would just put on some fresh AF paint.
But I dont need to or want to put AF paint back on... I'm trailering the boat from now on.

Assuming the primer is in great shape and applied like it should be what are my options??

BTW I thought I posted it in the right forum too... oh well. :rolleyes:

thanks!!

QC

Supreme Mariner

I dunno :confused: seems odd to me too, so I'm moving it back . . .

iop

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bump...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hey YD!!

No no... the grey stuff is fine and is not peeling or cracking anywhere.
The Blue AF is slowly getting "ugly" I guess as its supposed to. There is also a layer of black paint between the AF and the primer. Normally I would just put on some fresh AF paint.
But I dont need to or want to put AF paint back on... I'm trailering the boat from now on.

Assuming the primer is in great shape and applied like it should be what are my options??

BTW I thought I posted it in the right forum too... oh well. :rolleyes:

thanks!!

Thats what I was saying..dont remove the gray..just the Af.

I dont really know about leaving just the gray on without coating it.. never done that before :) .. you might have to coat it. Again I recommend VC17.

erikgreen

Captain

If the gray undercoat is in good shape and not damaged, I'd leave it.. likely as has been mentioned it's a barrier coat meant to keep water off the hull to avoid blistering. It's probably also a fairly expensive/high quality paint.

If you're trailering the boat, you can technically use almost any decent marine paint.. boats only in the water a couple days at a time to a couple weeks can get by with even cheaper paints.

For a nice glossy look in order of durability and price I'd recommend something like Awlgrip or Awlcraft2000, Interlux perfection or brightsides, Pettit Easypoxy, or other polyurethane paints like West Marine house brand. What you get depends on how much you want to pay and how durable you want it to be.

By default, unless you want extreme durability you'll probably want something like Brightsides or Easypoxy... they're one part paints and easy to apply. Not terribly expensive, but not as cheap as rust-oleum either.

Follow the Mfgrs. directions to get the stuff to stick properly to your (probably epoxy) undercoat.. normally it takes epoxy to stick to epoxy, but a lot of the better paints are designed for exactly the use you mention.

Erik

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:
I agree completely with the previous poster. In the past I used the correct bottom paint from Brightsides which I found was quite expensive and I didn't think it held up any better than Rustoleum (Tremclad in Canada). Like you, I trailer my boat and the nicks and dings are caused by floating logs and such and the occasional dock and trailer ding not by long term wear. This winter I'll be using regular black gloss Tremclad after sanding down the old finish.
kilowatts