Body piercing, why do people do it?

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Body piercing, why do people do it?

On the topic of having way to much money, how much does your boat cost you......<br /><br />you get pleasure out of your boat, and no one criticizes you for that, I get pleasure out of my piercings, but get looked down upon by people I thought that I could respect.<br />Perhaps you have some hangups that you need deal with, rather than try to to dictate to others what they should be doing. Peer presure? You all suffer from that, afraid to step outside of what mainstream society deems to be appropriate. None of my close friends have piercings, so how am I being affected by peer presure? I do what I do for myself, not what my friends orfor that mater,what society think. <br /><br />think about that before you start to accuse people of peer presure. Why do behave the way you do? Because that is what society expects you to do.<br /><br />n.b. how many of you have you ears pierced, or your wives ears pierced? do you judge them by that?

LadyFish

Admiral

Personally I don't have any tatts and the only thing pierced on me is my ears. I never wanted a tattoo for the simple reason that I was raised to think it was trashy on girls and taught that your body is your temple. My father had a hissy fit when I wanted my ears pierced and said that I already had enough holes in my head.<br /><br />Don't get me wrong, I don't mind them on guys. And I understand and admire the artistry behind them. But in the professional world its still considered a no no on women. And, as someone else said it just dosen't look good on a woman when she gets older. It's like she had some kind of dark past.<br /><br />I think unless you have tattoos you never really understand. But, one thing is for sure, one always leads to another. :)

Homerr

Commander

Never had tatoos or piercings, never will. Don't see the need for them.<br /><br />LOL... Who knows... maybe if I did start getting tats... I could end up like this guy:<br />(Talk about a couple cans short of a 6-pack... what is this guy thinking?)<br /><br />
tigerman410x336.jpg
<br /><br />To each his own I guess.<br /><br /><br />H.

one more cast

Captain

When I was younger I wanted a ring in my nose like a bull. Never got it but I do or at least I did have three holes in my left ear. Why did I do it? Because I liked the way it looked. Why don't I wear my ear rings any more? Because I lost them. :D UPDATE: After giving it some thought I believe it is just plain and simply art.

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ditto to that OMC...I have both ears pierced (one each) because I like them. I could give two sh*ts what anybody else thinks of them. It's just as much an expresion of self as the different clothes that people wear. Simle as that. I've been ready to get a few more (nothing below the neck...EVER) for a long time now and also have been wanting a tatoo, but at this point in time, I do have more important things to spend the money on. <br /><br />I don't particularly like the fact that some people look down on me and others who have them, but you know what, that's not MY problem....it's THEIRS. In a way, I'd say it's actually a good thing because I would rather not interact with people who are so judgemental and self righteous based on appearance alone anyway.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

"There was a day when only girls wore that kind of stuff...when did REAL men start wearing ear rings??? "<br /><br />BS. The Norseman wore body jewelry. <br /><br /><br />I had my ears pierced in high school. It was too much trouble to keep them open so I just let it close back up. I have three tats, and would get more if I could afford it. A small tat on a woman in the right place is sooooooooo hot. I also like to see a pierced naval, thats hot too. A pierced tongue on a woman is kinda scary for me. I know what its purpose is, and thats the scary part. I like my woman a little on the trashy side, just not all the way trashy. That being said I don't know how I ever mariied my wife. One hole in each ear, no tats, doesn't drink or smoke, dress'es conservatively, and is square as this monitor, plus she wants everyone else to be also. Go figure.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

My 19 year old nephew is peirced out the wazoo. He says he does it because he wants to, pure and simple. No amazing zen thing about it, he just wants to. Back in the day, the only peircings I had was both my ears. Once I entered the military, I stopped wearing anything, just didn't have the desire anymore. I view the whole thing as a personal choice, and the person who makes that choice has to learn to live with the consequences, such as ignorant comments made to him/her, difficulty finding employment, looked upon in a negative manner. <br /><br />A lot of people lack enlightenment, they just look at the peircings/tats, and make their judgements based on their own lack of information. They saw on TV that peirced/tatted people are freaks or criminals and take that as gospel. Maybe because I was a freak back in the day I have a different outlook, but I actually give them a chance to show if they are decent people with unique choices or actual criminals or deviants. I can only thank God for the variety. I would eat my service pistol if all I saw was one way to express oneself.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The way I looked when I was put on this world,is the way I intend to look when I leave it.

one more cast

Captain

To all the people that think it is wrong to alter your body. Do you shave or cut your hair? If you do you are altering the way you were born to look. I find it amusing that when I had hair down to the middle of my back some people said I was wrong for having long hair yet these same people had pictures of Jesus with his long hair and that was just fine. If you ever took the time to talk to people who look different I think you would find that they are really not that different at all. There is a big outdoor music festival every year just up the road from me way out in the woods. The young people that go to this look really weird to me ( and I think their music sucks) but every year I take a ride up and talk to these so called "freaks" as they wait in line to get through the gait and they are not freaks at all.They just choose to look different.Wouldn't it be interesting to see what all the iboats members look like.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

rolmops,<br /> Lofty goal, but I'm sorry to say, you won't look the same when you leave this world as when you came in. You may not have any tats or piercings but you will not look the same.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

It doesn't bother me much, other than the ever attractive nose ring worn by a waiter or waitress. A physics lesson should be mandatory for anyone who hires someone to that position wearing that type of jewelry.<br /><br />I see it as conformity by non-conformity. But this is the home of the free and if putting holes in area's that are not really suppose to have holes makes one whole, sobeit.<br /><br />Every hole I have has given me problems in one way or another.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

TMI Pointer.... :)

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

I think if the person wants body piercings and tattos thats there buisness. I not saying I like what it looks like it just there buisness. Out of my 5 kids (all grown now) only one has no tattos and one has a bellybutton ring so I guess I'm lucky. Now on a differant note the kids always say something about my hair. Haven't had a hair cut in 3 or is it 4 years. I tell my kids atleast if and when I decide to cut my hair it won't leave a lasting impression like holes in the ol bod or ink all on your skin.

Homerr

Commander

Speaking of kids with piercings...<br /><br />I don't know about the rest of you, but am I the only one who think it's WRONG to pierce little babies ears?<br /><br />I was raised to believe a person has a choice in their lives.<br /><br />What opinion did those little babies have when mom decided to make them look like they fell into a tackle box?<br /><br />I've seen some babies with multiple ear rings.<br />I'm sure that was pleasant to hear your kid go through all of it.<br /><br /> :confused: <br /><br />I have two teen girls, and I don't allow belly-button, nose or tongue hardware. Only ear rings. I told them until they are either adults or can afford to pay for the potential problems that comes with such items, they can stick with ear rings.<br /><br />Old fashioned? Maybe. But too bad. I'm the adult!<br /><br />As before... to each his own, but it's just not something I'd be inclined to participate in.<br /><br /><br />H.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yeah Homer, you are old fashion! and you are right. To each his own. Do you see, the freedom of choice. Body piercing and tatoo are way for people to express their thought and feeling. You can say that it is a form of art. 'Self Expression.' Yhis sound very much like a course that I took in college. It is called HUMANITIES. Well, my 2 pennies worth.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You are almost on the right track homerr, you say it's not something you'd be inclined to participate in, well that is why I have been pointing out that it is pesonal choice. No one made me get any of my piercings. I got them because I wanted them. <br /><br />The whole reason I started this thread was to see what influenced other people to get theirs. Not to find out why people don't want them, or to be critisized for my choices, which I will add, do not affect anyone but myself.<br /><br />Anyway, IF anyone is offended by me having piercings, then get over it. I am not going to appologize for something that does not need forgiveness. Pierced or not, I am still the same person I was yesterday, and no amount of piercings or anything else will change that.