Body piercing, why do people do it?

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: Body piercing, why do people do it?

Originally posted by Fixin:<br /> across the back of their waste :p
Fixin, I wanna tease ya a little...perhaps you used the right word, WASTE...however it is really waist...we all knew what you meant, but what a great mistake!!! I love it!!! Right across teh back of their WASTE...hmmmm

gaugeguy

Captain

Does a "tramp stamp" mean the "freak door" is easily opened :confused:

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Flatbottoms...mebad,but I guess it works both ways :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by FlatBottoms:<br />
Originally posted by Fixin:<br /> across the back of their waste :p
Fixin, I wanna tease ya a little...perhaps you used the right word, WASTE...however it is really waist...we all knew what you meant, but what a great mistake!!! I love it!!! Right across teh back of their WASTE...hmmmm
509.gif
509.gif
<br /><br /> This thread should be moved to Spelling Errors Chat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one more cast

Captain

To each his/her own. I like some piercings and or tattoos on some people and some I don't like. But its just my opinion and if people want to do it than who am I to judge. I like people that are different and do not try to be "normal".

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I had a piercing once. I just took the pliers and pulled the darn staple out and learned to be more careful with the staple gun.<br /><br />No tatoos on me or my wife. Thank God. I hope my kids don't want them when they grow up. Hopefully by then piercing and tatoos will not be fads of that generation. <br /><br />Nothing is going to look as out-of-place as the Tramp Stamp and barb wire arm band on women in 20 years. Bet they will wish they were gone. Think Grandma is gonna wanna show it off?

ebbtide176

Commander

uhhh, because they are suffering from peer pressure? :D because of the need to look cool?<br /><br />or maybe they just can't think ahead enough to realize how things they do today will affect them in the future? ;) <br /><br />people are just weird, ya know....

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

I have two Piercings myself...underneith my shirt and above my gut. I have always felt that it was a being young thing to impress the ladies at the beach. But now that I am in the bussiness world its a different story. The people that I want to show them too can see them other than that they stay under my shirt. I figure that piercings you can take out with minimal scars. Tattoos are forever. yes you can get rid of them but there still will be outlines of them. <br /><br />Also I never wanted my minnow that I put on my back to become a whale when I get older.

LubeDude

Admiral

I will ask for another waiter or waitress if they have peircings, They upset my appitite.<br /><br />I guess that explains how I feel.

SoulWinner

Commander

Several reasons. It is like smoking to some. They do it to look a certain way to fit in with a certain crowd. To others I think it is a form of self mutilation, a symptom of an underlying mental disorder. Others I think just want attention; you know "hey everybody, look at me!!!!" There are varying degrees of the "look at me" syndrome, some folks wear bib overalls and a cowboy hat to make a statement about who they are (that would be me), some folks die their hair black, paint their face white, wear all black clothing, jab metal into every possible part of their body, etc. Some people WANT to be freaks. That is how they see themselves. What these people don't realize is that in trying to be so "different" they end up looking like every other social outcast. <br /><br />Also, I have to laugh when these guys and gals B&M about not getting hired for some job because they were "discriminated against" because of their piercings.

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Noooooo, you have it all wrong. Actually it all started when a tacklebox exploded and when we got back to the dock there was a group of young inpressionable college students who saw all those rapalas in our ears, eyebrows, noses,lips, chest,bellybuttons, and crotchs that started the trend. After seeing us they all ran down to the mall and got Grannie Piercer, who was only doing earrings on young ladies, to put studs in thier..... <br /><br />And that's the way it started. Nothing complex in the beginning. But I gotta confess that the rapalas look a heck of a lot better than the fad that tried to imitate the originals.....

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do people with those balls on they're tongues eat spagetti? :D

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Abby on NCIS is so hot... the only girl I like with tattoos.

KennyKenCan

Commander

Because, a body without a hole in it, is just a body without a hole in it!<br /><br />Hey, who was the briliant one, who thought of the Prince Albert piercing? That puppy was sick! Sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it!<br /><br />I'll stick with the tatoos, thank you.<br /><br />I got 1 now, but getting the second soon...<br />Mako Shark on my anckle.

spratt

Lieutenant

And teh extra tattoo will do what for you? Besides lighten the wallet?

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Interesting that the majority of you say that it is the youth that are into this sort of thing. In my area, it is mostly adults. Yes, a few young ones have some piercings, but most of the time it is the older generation who are into it.<br /><br />I don't know about it being self mutilatin that indicates a mental problem as soulwinner put it. And I certainly don't do it for attention from everyone I come across.<br /><br />So far I don't think anyone has given any real insight into why people get piercings. All I seem to see is how people will judge someone one on their appearance before they know what they are really like.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Skiuseme:<br />[QB I figure that piercings you can take out with minimal scars. Tattoos are forever. yes you can get rid of them but there still will be outlines of them. [/QB]
I gotta wonder if those kids that get those holes in their lobes are going to have that thing in their ear when they are my age and if not, how is that going to look. I saw one the other day I could of put my ring finger through. Kid was about 17. It'll take cosmetic surgery to repair that hole. I can't help but think that they will all be sorry one day. As far as tattoos go, when you start to sag, it's going to really look fine. :eek: :eek:

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by FlatBottoms:<br /> Barlow, that was no pass!! Spit it out!! C'mon, let the whole world know what is on yer mind...inquisitive minds wanna know!!!
lets just say it was deer camp two years ago and we went to an adult entertainment facility ..<br /><br />ok, add this together,, 9 guys in the north woods of Wisconsin for 9 days straight eating like kings and drinking like fish walk into this place where upon entrance i get blinded by something from a provocative area.<br /><br /> I was, at the time, a little 'out of focus'.. so I walk up to get a closer look..<br /><br />Well low and behold this intoxicated idiot (that'd be me) swung around laughing and blurted out, "Hey guys!.. look at this she's wearin' her whole damn jewelery box tonight!!" - gal had everything but a sprinkler system installed in that thing.<br /><br />She then proceeds to yell at me and my buddies to stop looking at her.. err.. yea.. <br /><br /> :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: <br /><br />(( paraphrased version ))<br /><br />ears and such on a gal - no big deal .. other things .. I got problems with. tats are tats .. just not for me .. I do like the 'tramp stamp' term tho :D thats good!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by lark2004:<br /> So far I don't think anyone has given any real insight into why people get piercings. All I seem to see is how people will judge someone one on their appearance before they know what they are really like.
Gimme a break. Any one who puts signifigant holes in their body, beyond what they were born with, has a) got to much money, b) lookin for some kind of peer recognition that is not producctive. It becomes real natural to judge someone like that on their appearance.<br /><br />Not at my dinner table, please!!!<br /><br />ps: that includes a 'tramp stamp" (oh how I love the term) on an otherwise beautiful natural backside.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I think soulwinner has it nailed (scuse the pun). Variety of reasons - all of which are vain.<br /><br />BTW, if you NEED a prince albert - ya doing it wrong!<br /><br />Aldo