Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Shifflett115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

there is still signs on the island,so i guess you still cant go on it, we saw the guy out there last year chasing people off the island ,he's a real jerk to talk to

SuperNova

Lieutenant

We are going to rent a house on the Northeast River in June, the week of the 14th thru the 21st. It's just north of Carpenters Point but before Charlestown. We'll run down to the Wye at least one day for crabbing with my uncle's boat and most of the rest of the time we'll be running around in my boat down to Fairlee Creek and up the Canal to the Delaware Bay. We'll hang out in Lloyd's Creek on the Sassafrass as well as some the islands along the Susquehanna channel up to HdG. Anybody planning on being down in that area around that time? We could try a get together if a few people want.

branman1971

Seaman

there is still signs on the island,so i guess you still cant go on it, we saw the guy out there last year chasing people off the island ,he's a real jerk to talk to

Latest word now is that the guy that owns Dobbins Island has all the permits to build now. We are there every weekend, and there are vertical posts in the sand with chains running through them, defining the line of where to stay. Some folks still go up the hill but I have seen DNR come to the island and nail people coming back down. It's a good time there though. We cookout, throw the kids around, listen to music, swim, you know...

Shifflett115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if the guy builds a house on the island he is going to have alot of company in his back yard every weekend and will never have the island all to himself because people will never stop going to the island

skargo

Banned

Boating season 09' bump, I hope I run into some of you this year. :cool:

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I love to go out to the sand islands off the coast of Havre De grace, MD. They are about the only islands you can camp on without anyone getting mad at you.
Big party spot on nice days.

I will be fishing up that way this sat.
Prob launch at the HDG park. Might go fishing up in the susquhana, or go out on the flats.

last july I camped for a weekend on the sand islands, about 2 miles from the park.

Now I live in Elkridge thou, so the sever river is the closest to me, besides the patapscio river, which is so dirty it is not worth the trip.

we should plan something for memorial day, I really want the check out that island in lloyds creek on the sasarfas river.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

How is the Northeast area for a Newbie? I just can't wait for my mechanic to install the GPS. Sunday is calling me with 88* and sunny. I have never been on the Bay(as captain) and have only had the boat out once on a local river last fall. I do have a handheld GPS and will pick up charts at West Marine before I go out.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

How is the Northeast area for a Newbie?

Northeast is fine but buy and READ THAT CHART before shoving off! There are some shallow areas to avoid.
For your first voyage I suggest staying inside the channel markers and being conservative at the helm. Take it easy and learn the boat and the area before 'blasting off'.
Oh, and watch out for the high performance boats around Northeast. There's a bunch that launch from Anchor Marina, and the NautiGoose Restaurant (next door) is a popular watering hole for them....

I love to go out to the sand islands off the coast of Havre De grace, MD. They are about the only islands you can camp on without anyone getting mad at you.
Big party spot on nice days.
Yeah, that's one of my favorite hang-outs, too.
What kind of boat do you have? Does it have a name?

I will be fishing up that way this sat.
Prob launch at the HDG park. Might go fishing up in the susquhana, or go out on the flats.
I'm still working on my Silverton. Hope to have her in the slip (at Tydings Park) by Memorial Day weekend. Love the Flats! I heard stripers haven't been very good so far. Maybe the warm temps this weekend will make 'em bite. Good luck.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Arks, Someone told me Charlestown has a nice ramp for my 23' bowrider. On the map it looks like it's close to the flats for fishing and not too far over to Northeast for lunch. You sound like you know the area so I would appreciate any feedback. This woman also told me the tides have been higher and lower(not sure of that term) than usual this week, any opinion.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I used the Charlestown ramp a few times with my old 23 footer. There's not much depth in that area, so keep your drive trimmed up until you're in 3' or more. You have a depth finder, right? Easy trailer parking at the Wellwood (don't know how much it costs now).
Anchor Marina has a better ramp IMO, but it's steep and can get busy. Either ramp is close to the Flats. Speaking of the Flats, if you've never been there before I suggest you go near high tide or at least follow another boat. There are no marked channels and the Flats and can be very shallow if you don't know where to go. I think the Flats are easier to access from Perryville or Havre de Grace because they are closer and the natural channel is deeper (but still unmarked).

Water levels in the upper Bay are influenced by more than tides. If the wind is blowing from the south, it'll hold the water in the upper Bay and we can have high water all day. Conversely, wind from the north will push water out of the area and low water will result. Also, excessive outflow from the Conowingo Dam can keep levels high for a week or more, not to mention dumping debris an silt into the Bay.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i just name my boat good time, and it has a blue bottom, and white top, with a blue stripe going down it.
it is an old 78 thompson.
yesterday i actually went out in the bush river, and caught 4 catfish.

tasted like crap

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Arks, thanks for all the info. I got a chart of the upper CB and looked it over before hand and at one point while finding the channel south to Turkey point, I just sat it on the dash watching the depth and GPS and Chart and all the other boats. I guess you get the point. Launch was easy after I released the bow strap, pulled out about ten feet woundering why I couldn't back off the trailer. Kept looking around, thought I was floating but the boat wouldn't back up. 3 boats in the water waiting to get out another in line to launch. But nobody got hurt and the kids tried kneeboarding for about 10 each before they got cold, even in shorty suits.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

yea, those shot suites are about worthless around here, when the water is below 70 degrees. You need the whole suite.

The water was as warm as 69 degrees on sat in the bush river.

More like 64 out towards the bay. warmer in the head of the river.
I walked in knee deep water sat, and my feet were numb after 1 minute.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to check out the local dive shop for a 3 mil full suit, both kids are the same size so we only need one. Now watch, the temp will drop to 50 until Memorial Day. I thought the water around the flats would warm up faster than the rivers, but it sounds like the river was "warmer" on Saturday?

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

you guys have whetted my appetite, I'll pass thru easton on my way from Lafayette, where can I park the car and trailer for the overnight?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

try and find a hotel out in the country, they usually have pretty big parking lots where you can park.

There are a bunch of small towns outside easton. on 50

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Hi Everyone!!!

Been lurking here for a couple of months now. Thougth it was time to make my first post.

My wife and I love to boat in the upper bay area. We try to stay at my parents condo in North East every weekend that I am not working. (Which seems to be way to often) We love to go over to the North East River and crab. Will be doing that as often as we can later this season!

Just bought a new to me 91 Four Winns 20' Bowrider that we are anxious to put to good use this summer. Looking forward to doing some day trips and check out the canal, Chesapeake City, Georgetown and the Sasfrasas. Also planing on seeing the fireworks from the water this year for the first time!

I will be installing a VHF in the boat in the next couple of weeks. Maybe we will see some of you guys out there this summer!

Have fun and boat safe!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

anyone goin to canal day the last weekend in june?
it is in the north east river, or the river that leads to the C and D canal, which ever one that is. either the sasarfas of the NE.

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm on Kent Island. I put in in our community marina and mostly hang out in the Chester River or in Eastern Bay. This year I'd like to venture up north a bit to Rock Hall and beyond. BTW I have a 18' Riviera TriHull. It's tan with a white bimini top and a brand new 90HP Merc on the back.

Edko

Petty Officer 1st Class

anyone goin to canal day the last weekend in june?
it is in the north east river, or the river that leads to the C and D canal, which ever one that is. either the sasarfas of the NE.

C&D is off the Elk River. Never been to Canal Day but I've eaten at Schaeffer's Canal House, good eats. Make sure you give the big ships alot of clearance.