Boating the Upper Chesapeake

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Mrs stevieray & I pretty much try to stay off the river on weekends - way too crowded for our taste. We try to go out afternoon/evening during the week. Same general area - we have a slip at a small private marina up in Dark Head Creek & frequent Hart-Miller, Fairlee & all the Middle River restaurants. Our boat is in my avatar - if you see us, drop on by.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I suspect you'll have to bend your rule this weekend... they're calling for 76 on sunday.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I suspect you'll have to bend your rule this weekend... they're calling for 76 on sunday.

Don't even have her uncovered yet, RF. Still got a lot of yard work & crap to do around Casa del Stevieray. I'm thinking first week of May we'll be in.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I'm disappointed in you... I've been out three times already and this will be trip number four.

The first time was in march. Took about twenty minutes for me and my buddy to admit we weren't man enough to handle the cold.

The second and third time were during that warm snap a few weeks back. The Washington Channel was beautiful with the cherry blossoms!

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Back when I was just a bald-faced boy, we would always have her in by tax day (and be water skiing, too - talk about shrinkage). We also had a 1500 sq ft duplex with a postage-stamp yard to take care of. Now we have a house twice the size on a 4 acre wooded lot. And we ain't gettin' any younger. Priorities change, my man - sometimes not for the better!

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I hear ya. I had a 40' tree fall last week with the wind and I'm trying to get it cut up and to the dump before the weekend....

That sounds good SuperNova. Definately give us a shout! We would be more than happy to have you join up with up us some time. We try to catch as many fireworks as well. As long as one of us is not working, we travel the Bay in search of good shows. I monitor channel 9, 16, 68, 69, 72, and 78 when on the water. Give us a shout on any channel if your looking for a raft up. If you know of a good anchorage in the upper bay, let us know and we will come and check it out.

Its nice to see that there is other Middle River boaters in here. If anyone is ever at Parkside Marina for breakfast, lunch, or diner look me up. At the tee head on the dock, make a right, 4th boat on the right, slip #100. Baydreamin' is the boats name. Stop by and have a drink with us.

This month I will be cruising to Annapolis every weekend for my Captains license. The Mariners School has classes there on the weekends. I have always wanted to have my Masters. I am also always in by April 1st, we start spring maintenence in the Feb. so we are in early. When boating season on the upper bay is only Apr to Nov you have to get in every day that you can.

I have also started a new group in Yahoo Groups for Chesapeake Bay boater.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chespeakebbg/
(CBBG)Chesapeake Bay Boaters Group is open to all.
Spead the word and join up. iboats is nice, but there is so much more you can do with yahoo groups.

Have safe boating season,

arks

Lieutenant Commander

yorkcoparamedic said:
I have also started a new group in Yahoo Groups for Chesapeake Bay boater.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chespeakebbg/
(CBBG)Chesapeake Bay Boaters Group is open to all.
Spead the word and join up. iboats is nice, but there is so much more you can do with yahoo groups.

I just signed up. Hope we can get an active group going.
Rob

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I'm in, too. Let's see what happens. I have another question..Does anybody have mmsi numbers yet?

Maritime Mobile Service Identities (MMSI) for those that might have been wondering.
Definition: "Maritime mobile service identities are formed of a series of nine digits which are transmitted over the radio path in order to uniquely identify ship stations, ship earth stations, coast stations, coast earth stations and group calls." Named by ITU. (from Article 19.100 of the ITU Radio Regulations)

Used for: DSC identifier, universal shipborne Automatic Identification System (AIS), 406 MHz EPIRB identifier, SITOR (narrow-band direct printing) identifier, basis for certain Inmarsat identifiers.

Data element data type: character string

Data element maximum length: 9 digits (See Note)

Data element domain: numeric

Alias Name: MMSI (abbreviation approved by ITU), or Digital Selective Calling (DSC) number, or AIS identity.

Note: The first three digits of the MMSI are Maritime Identification Digits defined by Appendix 43 of the ITU Radio Regulations, identifying the country to which the vessel belongs. "366" is one of the MID assigned to the United States. The MMSI is also used by several foreign countries for 406 MHZ EPIRBs. In DSC, a 10th digit may be transmitted as described in ITU-R Rec M. 1080.

---------------------------------------------------------------
The new EPIRB catagory 1 is what I use along with VHF-FM, SSB, and a good float plan.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Very well researched medic. All I am thinking is if we exchange mmsi's, it would make it that much easier to raise you on the radio. You do know you can also use the mmsi like a telephone number for your VHF for ship to ship hailing.
--
Stan

Yes and if your chartplotter/gps has NEMA in/out you can also attach it to your VHF/DSC rig and get a relative position of the person calling you, given they have a registered mmsi for there DSC setup. That is a pretty good feature. However, just contact me by cell phone first and then hail me on VHF. I am always listening. Then when you get close, just look for the all the yachts rafting up. One of those groups will be us.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Yeah, just gotta get the boat in the water first. Have a long list of things to do. Plus the wife just popped the head gasket in her Nissan. Book calls it a 12 hour job. Really looking forward to doing it.
--
Stan

SuperNova

Lieutenant

All my work is done on the boat and it looks like we are headed to the Bay this weekend (Memorial Weekend). We'll be down there Saturday and Sunday it looks like, so if anyone else is planning on being down there, shout back.
--
Stan

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I'll be onboard (at the slip) Saturday working on my new generator installation. With luck - and help from a dockmate - we'll get it in place so I can start hooking things up.
It'll probably be a couple more weekends before i can push the START button, but it'll definitely be worth the effort.
If I need a break form the work this weekend, I'll run over to "the Flats" and anchor out for awhile.

Rob

Rock Hall

Petty Officer 1st Class

We are sitting on the boat now in Swan Creek. What a beautiful boating weekend it's been. Overnighted in Warton Creek Saturday night and stayed in the slip last night. Too bad the weekend is almost over. I could use a couple of straight weeks of this.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Well. we're back. We stayed in the Bohemia on Saturday night, it was pretty quiet. Then on Sunday we ran to Loyd's Creek in the Sassafrass and it was like driving straight into Mardi Gras. We stayed on the hook there 'til 6 pm and then we hauled 'em out at Bohemia Vista and trailered home through heavy downpours. Got home last night about midnight, and have a pool party today.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

We are definitely headed down to the Bay again this Friday June 29 and are spending the entire week down there. Sat. night (june 30) is Havre DeGrace's fireworks and Northeast is July 3rd, so we have both of those shows on the schedule. We usually get there around 6 pm and hang out and swim for a bit before the show starts. Anybody else going to be in the area? Chuck? Frank?
I also wouldn't mind catching some shows farther down the bay, but I don't have dates on most of them yet.
--
Stan